esata express card, card = sata II, comp. = sata I, is this the cause for not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benlangdon, Jun 15, 2009.

1. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

so i learned from that one thread thats going around that i have a sata 1 connection to my hard drive (always thought it was sata II).

soo...
    i tried a little while ago to connect an esata connection card through my express card slot. i tried 4 cards, all of which i specifically remember being 3.0 Gb/s, (apple even helped me for a month, ya tried that long and didn't work), so,
    Would having a sata 1 connection between the computers hdd and hooking up a esata 2 connection through express card slot conflict.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

It certainly shouldn't. SATA II (3.0) and SATA "I" (1.5) should be fully cross-compatible. SATA I drives should work fine on a SATA II controller, and SATA II drives should work fine on a SATA I controller. (In fact, I can even say I've tried the latter case myself with both an expansion card and an internal bus.)

The only exception would be port-multiplier cases, which would not be compatible with any SATA controller that doesn't specifically support port multiplication (not sure if any SATA I controllers do, or for that matter if there are SATA II ones that don't).

I have, however, heard of a lot of problems with SATA ExpressCards, in particular that common ones aren't compatible with Oxford-based multi-interface external drive cases. I'd say something like that sounds a lot more likely to be what's causing your problems than anything to do with SATA I vs SATA II.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Expresscard doesn't have the bandwidth to fully utilize a SATA II connection. Also, a standard HD cannot even utilize the entire bandwidth of a SATA I connection, much less a SATA II.
    There is no reason why the internal SATA and whatever is in your expresscard slot should conflict.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

5. benlangdon thread starter macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well then i absolutely have no idea, neither does apple, why my esata express card will not work.

i tried, belkin, and 3 other, one from best buy, one from frys, and one from the internet somewhere cheap.

well now to read that page, it sounds informative but long, going to go through it tonight.

maybe 10.5.7 would change something, that one from owc isn't that expensive and i might just get it and try.