ESPN’s Jemele Hill suspended

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jbarley, Oct 9, 2017.

1. MachCrit Suspended

MachCrit

She just isn't thinking. Confusing private employer vs free speech rights. If you want the job, you play the game.

2. LordVic macrumors 603

also: when you work for ESPN and a large portion of your revenue is income from NFL broadcasting and reporting... you generally shouldn't tell your audience not to watch.

she dun goofed

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

The problem is that she did clearly state that she was NOT advocating for a boycott.

She was discussing the overall issue. You know the issue that some want to end NFL packages, go to games, stop watching on TV, if the protests they don't like don't stop. You know in other words if they want to boycott, they could, and have already done. Hill was saying if you don't care for these statements about Jones doing things to players for kneeling you also have the right to end NFL packages, go to games, stop watching on TV. Etc.

There's a hilarious degree of hypocrisy to want only one side the right to boycott.

But as I said, Hill did clearly say she was advocating a NFL boycott.

She was having a conversation as a citizen on her personal twitter account about a current event, an event that she would be considered a bit of an expert on.

But hey, take a note... Eventually someone you agree with will eventually cross this line in these ever more partisan times, and remember your responses.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

She was already on double-secret probation and chose to poke the bull again.

So it's not a surprise.

5. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Ah, the 'ol double - secret probation'. The one where you don't know or are allowed to know you're legitimately in the wrong, until you're punished for being in the wrong.

Seriously though, ESPN's steps into suspension over one's personal tweets, is something that will come back to bite them.

Publicly appeasing never really works, and will open the flood gates for calls to suspend others when they dare to say something others don't care for. Or when others do say something genuinely offensive & ESPN does NOT suspend them, and finds themselves called out.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

I read it as her wanting people to boycott sponsors of the Dallas Cowboys, not the NFL itself.
    Anyway... those same sponsors also pay ESPN for advertising, which means they pay her.
    Someday people will realize free speech doesn't mean free from consequences.

7. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

ESPN - I remember way back when this network was more about awesome sports coverage and less about overwhelmingly left-wing politics and social commentary BS. Ugh. They turned the once cool Keith Olbermann into a whiny communist. My goodness.

Just do sports. Please. Doesnt Hollywood "cover" our entertainment political regime? :rolleyes:

8. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

9. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Jesus she's an idiot. I mean you got away with it once, but then you go after the most influential NFL owner?

10. Phonephreak macrumors 6502a

Phonephreak

11. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think 2 weeks is a bit extreme. Looks like a makeup call from not doing anything the first time.

So, it was rumored that her cohost Michael Smith had refused to do the show without her when ESPN was considering suspending her the first time. Wonder what his position will be this time.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Yeah. They’re basically giving her the option to resign.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'd be surprised given she's an African American woman. She's gonna be given multiple chances to poop the bed before they cut her loose.

14. rjohnstone, Oct 9, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Not if she keeps doing this crap is a very public way.
    I'm sure ESPN is looking through her contract for a breach on her part so they can fire her with a clear conscience.

15. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Yep, saying things about Trump is one thing but asking people to boycott one of ESPNs main reason for existing is another.

I'm very surprised that ESPN didn't fire her.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Ha !

I don't even know who she is.

Welcome to reality people.

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

No.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

They fired Schilling after his first "social media" indiscretion. It's not as if they don't have precedent on their side. They're probably talking with their PR division on what the potential fall out would be for releasing her. Because in 2017 if you even appear to be on the side of Trump you're a white supremacist. What network wants to have that charge levied against them.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Schilling was on his 5th or 6th.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

What was 1-5?

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

About Obama I believe.

22. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

While she didn’t suggest boycotting the NFL, she did suggest people boycott advertisers. Either way, she wants to hurt the NFL in their pocketbooks.

I’m not saying whether her viewpoint is right or wrong, but she has to understand that there are consequences when you bite the hand that feeds your employer.

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Yeah... that's the way I heard it as well.

24. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No I mean specifically? What were the five?