essay topic advice - foreign policy...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by buffalo, Jan 29, 2009.

1. buffalo macrumors 65816

I need to write a 400 word college essay (for OSU) on the following topic

Just looking for ideas here about policies that I may not know about that might be useful in the US. No need to answer what it would talk for the idea to work in the U.S. I'll take care of the rest.

Thanks!

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Netherlands: Drug policy

Norway/Sweden: Sex Education policies

Norway/Sweden: Social Insurance policies

Japan: Energy policy

France: Health and Dietary policies

3. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Energy caught my attention. I'll look into that. I could also choose this prompt and keep in US focused.

Thanks CalBoy. Any other ideas, keep 'em coming!

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That depends on what issue you feel passionately about.

It also depends on the level you are going to be arguing your side.

Is this a lower division or an upper division class? Are you a journalism or political science major?
    For policies in other nations, I would really focus on social services. The US is notoriously weak in that regard, and almost every other developed country has a different model than we do.

5. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

The essay is just an admission essay to The Ohio State University, so it's not for a class. My other credentials are very good, so doing this is just a formality needed to finish the application. The essay will not make or break the application. I agree about the passionate part. I was just trying to find something that will be relatively pain-free to write 400 words about.

6. buffalo thread starter macrumors 65816

Another thing I was considering was about national service. It is my understanding that Israel requires all men to serve in the military. While I wouldn't want to go as far as to require military service, giving something to the nation is something I would support.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh, well then that's entirely different. I thought this was for a class at Ohio State. :p

For an admissions essay, stick with something simple that let's the reader get a look at your thought process and writing skills; the details about the issue are less important.
    That would probably make a good topic for an admissions essay. Just explain why it's important to you, and you're home free. :)

8. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

The Netherlands, it is a beautiful place, the model for social acceptance and diversity.

But other countries, maybe Switzerland and it's neutrality and no BS policies. They honestly don't take crap from anyone and are fairly isolationist. The U.S. could learn a lot from them. That, just like they say on the airplane about the oxygen masks, first worry about yourself, and then help others.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

How about Finland and Finlandization? In many ways the country's foreign policies are the exact opposite of Switzerland's.