Essentially all Non commitment phones from APPLE are unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by note235, Sep 21, 2012.

1. note235 macrumors 6502a

Essentially all non commitment phones from Apple are technically "unlocked"?

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

We don't know yet about the Sprint iPhone 5!

It still is all related to how the AT&T / Verizon iPhone 5 units are processed at the POS from the Apple retail store.

It the Apple rep enters your phone number on the checkout screen, it will be locked to the carrier even if you pay the no-commitment price.

Make sure that they do a "Device Only" sale on their POS device.

Also note there are still differences between the AT&T and the Verizon/Sprint units support of LTE.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/21/verizon-iphone-5-confirmed-to-be-unlocked-on-gsm-3g-networks/
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3369702/verizon-iphone-5-gsm-unlocked

Dave

3. note235 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks Dave

should a useful guide for the "Device Only" sale

4. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

the first no commitment white iphone 4 were locked to at&t $599. A few months later they offered an unlocked one but it was more expensive.

5. RNVarma macrumors regular

When I bought my device-only 4S last year 2 days after the launch day of the 4S, it was factory unlocked. The only difference was that Apple didn't market it as factory unlocked. A few months later, when Apple “officially” started selling factory unlocked 4Ss in the USA, they sold it at the same price that I had paid.

6. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I believe this is correct. That's what the person who sold me mine at Apple said. He'd ring up as "Device Only."

My receipt also states:

"AT&T Account Information
    No Wireless Service Activation during iPhone Sale"

7. RNVarma macrumors regular

Exactly. Make sure they do not associate a phone number with your device.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

Updated information on the Verizon iPhone 5

An update, TheVerge has updated their information the Verizon iPhone 5!

Please read:
    Update: Those considering purchasing the Verizon model on the basis that it ships unlocked should do so with caution. Last year, the Sprint variation of the iPhone 4S also shipped unlocked, but after a subsequent update, users were tied to the company's nationwide network.
    Thanks, Jeff!​

source: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/21/3369702/verizon-iphone-5-gsm-unlocked

Note last year Sprint did not lock any units sold before 11/11/11. We don't know how Verizon will handle the iPhone 5.

Dave