Estimated cost of War on Terror at $4 trillion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by StruckANerve, Jun 29, 2011.

1. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

How much will our wars cost? Report says $4 trillion

More and more, every day I am finding it harder to be positive about the future of the United States. I don't see any solution to paying off the debts our Govt has incurred. Raising taxes to 90% won't cover our future liabilities.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

We had a surplus in 2000.

3. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

We both tax reform and major spending cuts. it's possible, but i too am worried about whether it will actually get done.

4. mcrain, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I could get done, but not if one party is threatening to filbuster EVERYTHING if they don't get their way. That's blackmail, not leadership.

(edit)

Speaking of surplus, how did we possibly spend so much money with that pesky debt ceiling?

Oh, I know...

[​IMG]

5. Dont Hurt Me, Jun 29, 2011

Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

And that is whats so sad, Bush and his republicans came in and spent every nickel and now they want to act like they are fiscal conservatives? 4 trillion down the islamic drain. When its said and done what was accomplished in Iraq? Afghanistan? This alone makes it near impossible to support the republicans. Should we even mention the patriot act? The TSA? Homeland security?
    4 trillion would have gone a long ways to help social security,medicare and our own infrastructure but instead we have...........a big bill,thousands dead,and still extreme islam running those countrys into the stone age. What a horrible waste and we are now broke. I didnt even mention Iran the real threat to the region.

6. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

The GOP would do well to remember that no country is more than 3 meals from a revolution . . .

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont think the GOP will get it until they are all thrown out. There is no leadership coming from the GOP in congress at the moment. None.

8. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Can't argue with that!

Eventually SOMEONE is going to have to explain to the public that we cannot have it both ways: we can't have enormous social programs like Medicare, Social Security, Corporate Welfare, etc., without either benefits going down or taxes going up (or both, which is probably the best way to go).

9. Dont Hurt Me, Jun 29, 2011

Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im still waiting to hear from the republicans why we are supporting big oil with subsidies and tax breaks during obscene record profits? Not a word from bought off by big oil John Boehner. Ron Paul though has mentioned it so I give him credit for saying what almost none of the republicans will. If they cant get past this then lets throw em out!

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Because anyone whose taxes they want to cut are job creators. In this instance, creationism moves at the speed of evolution.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The old trickle down economics if you will. We can all sit around and wait for a drop!

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

This makes me hate the 2 term limit law. Bill Clinton could have been the next FDR and gas prices would still be about a $1/gallon. Bill was the only President I ever voted for. I've only voted once in my life and that was to give Billy a second term.:eek:

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Can't we make the one percent a deal? We won't raise your taxes, but you have one year to start creating jobs. Otherwise, we go with Plan B.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Bill's "doctrine" was downright disgusting. He even had two officials in charge of his Iraq sanctions resign because they said they were genocidal in nature. Estimates of the deaths caused from those sanctions range from 500,000 to a million.....children.

But hey, yea domestically, great guy that clinton.:roll eyes:

I'm ashamed to share the same birthday as that man.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Say what you may about Clinton, though I never voted for him he did a great fiscal job running the country at the time with a republican congress. Again he left a surplus...........Bush & the republicans have us Trillions in debt,invaded the wrong country ,never got Bin laden, started a arms race with everyone.....etc.

16. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Are you talking about the Iraq sanctions that were very effective at limiting the danger of Saddam Hussein so much that the entire second Iraq war was not only unnecessary, but required the new President to manufacture evidence and lie about it to start? Are those the same sanctions that actually kept Hussein from building weapons of mass distruction? Are those the sanctions you are talking about? Was the effect of those sanctions harsh on the people of Iraq? Probably, but who alone had the power to change that?

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How would the economy be if Clinton was in power when 9/11 happened. Didn't all the markets nose dive after that.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If's and But's. All the terrorist attacks during Clinton's administration did relatively little damage. Who's to say the 9/11 attack would have happened on Clinton's watch? I, for one, liked his policy of America NOT being the world's police. "Dubba Yah" comes along and tries to play Kingmaker and THAT is what brought about 9/11. But that's my opinion.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That policy has been in place in various forms since the end of WWII....

It's a HUGE mistake for our country to buy the lie that all our problems started with Bush II.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Lets start with the $1 gas, even if Clinton was in power for 20 years gas would not be $1.45. Ever since Katrina the prices have been inflated, prices shot up from $2 to 3 dollars in a 2 week period and never went down even after a barrel of oil dropped back to pre Katrina levels.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Most Presidents only give lip service to that policy. Those who didn't drew the US in to a wars that cost too many lives for too little or even no gain... Korea and Vietnam ring a bell?

Panama was the only incident I can remember where we actually gained more that we lost. So Papa Bush did good there.

I agree that the Fortress America policy ain't gonna fly in this day and age, but sticking our nose in to EVERYBODY else business is going overboard. I can't wait until all the oil runs out or we have a viable alternative to gas driven cars. The Middle East will as important to the US then as Rwanda is right now.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Unfortunately the oil wont run out for 25 more years.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Um, we've been waging covert wars all over the world for decades, and it has never slowed down. Look at South America and look into what we did there. Every president in the last 50 years has had multiple secret ops and wars to get our way. Some major, most "minor" (in terms of our casualties anyway).

Most don't even know about these things, but thats the media for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_military_operations

We essentially bombed Iraqi infrastructure back into the stone age the first time.

24. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Yep , we bombed Iraq into the stone age then spent our billions trying to rebuild it and all a long Bin Laden and the boys were hiding in Pakistan and Iran was the real one building atomic weapons. Unbelievable the lies we were told from Cheney /Bush to get us into Iraq. And our Congress & Senate sat there doing the impression of Dumb & Dumber. I still feel sorry for Obama and the total screwed up mess he inherited and the fact he still has to deal with Dumb & Dumber meaning the Senate and Congress.

25. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Covert is okay, since it goes in hand with protecting US interests. What I don't like is sending ground troops to fight another country's war. Green Berets training the natives to fend for themselves, while protecting US interest. Big gain for little cost in American lives. I like. Infantry sent in to fight a war that has little on US freedom. Huge loses for no gain. I don't like.

This whole War on Terror is more about oil than stopping terrorist. Our so-called allies in the region are in cahoots with the terrorist.:mad: