Estimation of how much you can store on an 3;rd gen iPad 16Gb?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by L4Leonard, Jul 14, 2012.

1. L4Leonard macrumors regular

L4Leonard

So im probably going to be buying the new iPad soon, I can't decide whether I should go with the 32 GB version or the 16 GB version. So i would be extremely grateful if someone could give me an estimation of how much space something along the following things would take up? :)

10-15 episodes of a tv show, e.g. 12 episodes of Californication
    1 or 2 Movies
    A couple of books
    Somewhat between 25 and 35 apps.

Would somebody here please try to estimate the size of these things?:)

Would the 16Gb version be enough for me? As i already have a Mac book Pro and an iPhone 4, I would probably use my iPad for entertainment only.

2. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

I think it will be like this:

200 apps

400 songs

1-2 movies or more, depending on how big they are

4-5 books

My cousin has the new iPad 3rd gen and they have 356 songs and it took 2 GB.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

A TV episode is about 45-50 minutes, so they'll be about half the size of a two hour movie. Books are usually very small, you don't have to worry unless you have like hundreds of them. Apps vary in size quite a bit, so it's hard to say. The smallest app I have is 100kb, and the largest is over 1 GB.

4. L4Leonard thread starter macrumors regular

L4Leonard

So what would you guys recommend me? Even though the iPad is a pretty expensive electronic device, im thinking about putting down the extra 100 bucks worth of storage. On the other hand 599 is a lot of money for me, regarding the fact that im a student and not any more job this summer atm. But ill let you decide; 32 or 16 Gb version?

5. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I have had on my iPad almost exactly what you listed. It is a 32 gb iPad and it was almost full. Still a bit of room left , but way over 16 GB was used.

I think a 32 GB iPad would be perfect for you, you can always use your notebook with iTunes as a holding area to shift around between extra TV episodes and movies.

6. L4Leonard thread starter macrumors regular

L4Leonard

A 32gb it will probably be then! Ill send you the bill. ;)

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

retina apps size doubled than non retina apps :apple:

8. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I only have about maybe 30 - 40 apps on my iPad and I have 9GB used already and I have yet to add movies (a primary use I have for it), so get what you can afford if you can't afford the model you want save your money and wait.

With retina display the 16GB should have gone buh-bye by now.

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Apps vary from 10MB to over 1GB.

I suggest getting the 32GB.