ETF and Upgrade Eligibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HighNoon, Sep 16, 2012.

1. HighNoon macrumors member

I currently have a factory-unlocked 16GB iPhone 4S. The phone is unlocked because I bought it off-contract from the Apple Store for the unsubsidized price of $649.

This time around I am upgrade eligible, so I purchased a 64GB iPhone 5 with my AT&T upgrade for $399. I am currently out of the U.S. for an extended-period, so I do NOT want AT&T service and am planning on paying the $325 ETF the day that I get the phone.

My question is... how does paying the ETF affect my upgrade eligibility? If I get the phone on 9/21 and pay the ETF, do I immediately become upgrade eligible again because I am not in a contract?

Thanks!

2. christyn macrumors 6502a

Do you just have the one line? If so, you'd no longer have an account with them so if you were to resign up, yes. However, you have to wait a certain amount of time before they let you sign up again, used to be 30 days, but I believe it's 90 now.

Also, keep in mind you cannot cancel the day you get the phone. They require at least 30 days of service or you have to return the phone.

3. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

No, I am on a family plan with two lines where I am the secondary line.

30 or 90 days doesn't make a difference. I am out of the country for 1 year so that isn't a concern.

I did not know that you couldn't cancel immediately, so I appreciate that info. Also, what is the easiest, most hassle-free way to cancel a line and pay the ETF? Can you do it online?

4. christyn macrumors 6502a

The only way to do it online is if you port your number to somewhere like google voice which I believe is $20 to do and the ETF would just be automatically billed to your account. Otherwise, you'll have to call and talk to CS.

5. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks. I'll have to decide whether I want to port my number to GV or call AT&T customer service. What is stopping me from porting my number as soon as I get the phone instead of waiting the 30 days? Would AT&T just charge me the full price of the phone?

I'm still a bit unclear on whether I will be upgrade eligible when I return to AT&T in one year, even though I am just a secondary line on a family plan. Any idea?

Also, is it possible to port my number to GV and then port it back to my AT&T phone once I return to the states?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate the help.

6. christyn macrumors 6502a

Yes, AT&T will bill your account for the full price of the phone.

You will be upgrade eligible as you're canceling the line now, so next year you'll just have to add a line again and will get the discounted upgrade.

Yep, you should be able to port to GV and then back to AT&T without a problem.

Hope that helps :)

7. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

AT&T has got to let the number go in the port and everything satisfied.

So you got to deal with them before you port.

8. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Could you explain in a bit more detail please?

9. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

If you have not satisfied AT&T with fulfilling your contract or paying the EFT, they will not allow the number to be ported.

10. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

Based on what I read on the Google Voice help site, it sounds like you just port the number and then AT&T will automatically charge me the $325. Is that not correct? Must I contact AT&T first?

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

ATT and will include the ETF on the next bill. No need to contact AT&T.

Just be sure to verify the service cut off date. They may try to get an extra month out of you.

12. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

This will be your second phone at full price. Why do you care about upgrade?

14. HighNoon thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean? Upgrade = save money, of course I care about upgrades.

The only reason I've bought two full price phones in a row (4S and 5) is because I am in a unique situation right now being out of the country for 1 year. I bought the 4S for full price because I need an unlocked phone for traveling abroad. For the iPhone 5 I went the upgrade price + ETF route because I want to start accumulating another upgrade and I do NOT want to pay AT&T service while abroad.