Etf

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keystoneuser, Mar 15, 2012.

1. keystoneuser macrumors member

I am looking at swapping from AT&T to Verizon as I am generally unhappy with AT&T and they keep raising the bill on us. I am tired of the way they are treating their customers with the throttling etc etc.

My question is I bought a couple 4s's when they launched and I have 2 other lines under contract. Correction 1 other line, the other is upgradeable. Anyone have any experience with getting out of the ETF's? Or know how to swap carriers without paying the etf? Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The ETF is there for a reason ... and there is no easy way out of it.

If you really want to switch, pay the ETF and sell the phone to recoup the ETF cost.

3. keystoneuser thread starter macrumors member

I had thought about that, but the 4s can work on verizon's. I am looking at the contract as a whole, seeing as how I signed a contract originally, and they have made changes to the contract that I did not sign for. I am trying to figure out the legality of getting out of the ETF through this method.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

IIRC, you can't use your AT&T 4Ses on Verizon - you will still have to buy new phones.

If they change the terms that MATERIALLY affects you, you can get out ETF-free - IF you do it within a certain period.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

The contract you signed probably included a part that said they had premission to make changes to the contract without your premission/agreement.

Phone carriers are huge companies with massive law departments and advisors. I doubt your going to beat their lawyers.

I advise just to pay the ETF and sell the phone.

6. keystoneuser thread starter macrumors member

iPhone 4s is both GSM/CDMA.

On the comment about the clause in the contract, that is what I was wondering. Which is really kind of a joke, seeing they can change their terms, but I can't change mine, but I suppose that is why I can leave too. But its still a crappy clause. They can allow whatever changes they want too, but the moment I decide that I don't like it they make you pay for it. Sigh....

7. Demonface macrumors 6502a

i suggest you pay the ETF and unlock your phone and switch to an prepaid company .

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes. It is. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean you can interchange carriers. The phones you bought are locked to AT&T (unless you specifically paid for unlocked ones), and CANNOT be moved over to Verizon.

And, if you can prove that any changes they make ACTUALLY impact you financially, then you can cancel within a certain time period. You can't cancel because you don't like the change (remember, you agreed to the fact that they can make changes when you signed the contract.)

9. keystoneuser thread starter macrumors member

Crap, forgot about carrier locks. Another joke.

As far as the time period is concerned, I assume that it is with any change they make? And actually if they make changes to the contract that negatively impact their plans, would it not affect me financially as now I am paying more for less? Dependent on the change of course.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No, it is not any change. The change has to affect you financially. e.g. they decide your data plan now costs $90/month.

11. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I remember being so excited when Apple announced the 4S would have support for all the different radio bands and then the carriers comes out with this carrier lock bs of course.

12. keystoneuser thread starter macrumors member

Makes sense.. Thanks for the help. Guess I will stay with them for a bit.

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Unlocked phones only function on gsm networks; so even if the OP bought an unlocked phone, it'd still be moot. When it comes to allowing other phones on their networks, verizon and sprint are crap.