Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DiMiDiMi87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
Hi everyone,

I was trying to set up an ethernet connection on my MacBook Air but I realised that under the System Report -> Ethernet -> I have the message

"This computer does not appear to have any pci ethernet cards installed".

I have been researching for hours and hours and I can't really understand what should I do. I can't seem to find a clear answer on how to troubleshoot this. Can anyone please help me? I have macOS Mojave 10.14. If you need any more info, let me know.

Many thanks
:D

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The MacBook Air was introduced in 2008 has never had built-in ethernet ports. What machine do you have and how are you connecting it to ethernet?

DiMiDiMi87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
The MacBook Air was introduced in 2008 has never had built-in ethernet ports. What machine do you have and how are you connecting it to ethernet?
Thanks so much for replying to my post!
I have a MacBook Air 2017
1.8GHz i5
Ram 8GB

My housemate gave me her Adapter USB to ethernet - it's not an official Apple product but works for her - and it doesn't work for me. So I thought about getting the official adapter but before I do that I want to make sure everything is ok - as I wouldn't like to buy something and still not work.

Thanks

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My housemate gave me her Adapter USB to ethernet - it's not an official Apple product but works for her - and it doesn't work for me. So I thought about getting the official adapter but before I do that I want to make sure everything is ok - as I wouldn't like to buy something and still not work.
That adapter may not be compatible with a Mac or may need a specific driver to work. The Apple ethernet adapters will work without any extra drivers installed, and there's no reason to expect your computer is broken or malfunctioning.

DiMiDiMi87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
I see I see I thought the driver was necessary and I was researching for hours how to download - thanks so much. I'll get the official Apple adapter then and drop an update when I receive it

Thanks so much for the replies - much appreciated!!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
DiMidiMi87, thanks for the information about your machine and your adapter. I agree with chrfr. Chances are that adapter either just doesn't work or might require a driver. But there is no reason to suspect that your Mac won't work with ethernet using an Apple adapter.

DiMiDiMi87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2021
Hey guys - the apple adapter just arrived and works like a gem <3
Omg I'm so happy!
Thanks so much for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.