Ethernet Problem in New Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TWIXMIX, Apr 17, 2010.

1. TWIXMIX macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I just installed Hardware Growler, and I've noticed that about every two minutes and notification comes up saying:

"Ethernet Deactivated, Interface: en0"

Is anyone else experiencing this? I really hope it isn't a hardware issue with the new Macbooks.

Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. TWIXMIX thread starter macrumors newbie

No, right now I'm just using my wireless for internet. Ethernet isn't even plugged in.

4. snouter macrumors 6502a

It may be powering down the ethernet to save power since it's not being used?

Plug it into an ethernet and see if it persists.

5. TWIXMIX thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I tried connected to ethernet and it held up and didn't deactivate. I was thinking the same thing, maybe shutting it off to save power. I'll just have to disable that notification.

6. fender101 macrumors newbie

Me too

Can confirm that mine is doing the exact same thing - MBP 2.66 high res non-glossy screen.

I'm having trouble with the migration assistant too, I've had to import my profile twice and can"t delete one of the duplicate user profiles.

Lovely machine otherwise!

7. ctwise macrumors newbie

How do you disable just that notification?

8. r0tt3n macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same thing, then I figured it out...

System Preferences -> Growl -> Applications -> HardwareGrowler -> Configure -> Notifications -> Choose "Network Link Down" from the "Notification:" dropdown -> uncheck "Enabled"

Solved! Woohoo!

9. TWIXMIX thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, I did the same thing. All is now well.

Must be a power saving thing, since my internet doesn't drop when I actually have ethernet plugged in.

10. moogoo68 macrumors newbie

Guys the issues is with the MacBook Pro. Go check this out http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=11418092

Turning of that feature in Growl only stop the notifications but the actual problem still exists.

Apple need to respond soon as this is a bad look and we should not expect a superior product to have issues of this nature.

11. JimKirk macrumors 6502

Are you effn kidding me

So does the network connection drop? Does this effect file transfers?

I guess I will have to test it out.

Doesn't apple test a anything these days? A simple look at the console for errors?

12. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I am having the issue on a 13" MBP 2010 model. So its not limited to the i5 and i7 processors.

13. moogoo68 macrumors newbie

mmmm...look like it's either 10.6.3 or the actaul hardware. Let's see what Apple do and the time they do it in.

It's frustrating that the end user always finds these issues. I can understand something that is not related to apple such as 3rd party software and hardware but this is straight out of the box.

Get it out the door seems to be the main issue these days.

14. moogoo68 macrumors newbie

I'm a Citrix Solutions Advisor and I have seen no dropouts while working. Also RDP sessions seem OK. I just noticed that its not impacting me...just frustrating me.:mad:

As I said there is now a trend in markets to get it out the door and work it through...absolute garbage and companies need to rethink

We the consumer should not put up with it. But unfortunately it seems we accept failure as a norm these days and live with it...

Let's see if we can push for better consumer protection by all participating.

Hopefully Apple will lead the way. All we need is one major company and the rest will follow.

Enough I could go on:D

15. TnIan macrumors member

I'm getting the same result on my 15" i7. But if this is really that big a deal to you, you're going to have a very frustrating experience with any computer. :)

16. amancalledsun macrumors newbie

I get exactly the same thing, on a 17" i5 with matte screen. It's annoying but not a deal breaker; the deactivated message only happens when I don't have a network cable plugged in. I haven't noticed any data transfer interruptions when connected by Ethernet.