EU Elections and Racism

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, May 27, 2019.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The Pope put out a statement today indicating that the recent EU election results are being driven by racism.

In the statement, the Pope stressed that opposition to migrants (I call them illegal aliens :) ) was wrong and racist.

Do you consider it racist to oppose people illegally entering a country ?

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

No. But I don’t believe I have a direct line with the one true God. Next question.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

On paper, no it's not racist.

But it's racism that's fueling the opposition to migrants. The focus is always on a specific group(s) of migrants.

4. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I think the focus on a specific groups is because these groups are the ones flooding across the border (i.e. not racism).

I believe that most people would not feel ill will towards a group if the group didn't enter the country illegally.
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2019 ---
    Why is that ?

5. Solver macrumors 6502a

You ask something related to one of the biggest questions facing mankind.
    “Why do people continue to believe in their Gods?”
    Utterly different topic.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Don't act blind. A huge portion of the focus on specific groups has little to do with economics, but more to do with hatred for these groups. The average person that has disdain for these specific migrants, doesn't even know the economic results.

It's equivalent to the American average Right Wing supporter than puts all their attention towards the Mexicans and Central/South American immigrants (which they lump as all being the same people). Most don't have an actual informed sense of the effects for better or worst. They just follow the mob mentality of hate.

Any Black American would tell you different. Even in the EU.

7. Solver macrumors 6502a

Any Black American would tell you different. Even in the EU.
    You seem to want to believe that. See if Candace Owens thinks that is true.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Candace Owens is an opportunist. She's playing these Right Wing fools by selling out her own people. You actually think she believes what comes out her own mouth?

9. Solver, May 27, 2019
    Last edited: May 27, 2019

Solver macrumors 6502a

So she and many others disagree with the, all “black” people think the way the leftists wish they would think narrative.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am not sure about racism, but there is xenophobia in the UK. I've seen few flagrant incidents of racism in the UK, but people are very concerned about immigrants who do not speak the language or share their culture. I think this is particularly acute in England, where precious cultural practices like Morris dancing have to be protected. Bless.

[​IMG]

11. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I said most :).
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2019 ---
    I think that xenophobia is a much better choice of words then racism.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Considering most of the countries that these migrants are coming from are not that diverse, I think xenophobia and racism go hand and hand.

13. Ulenspiegel, May 27, 2019

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68040

Ulenspiegel

No.

Reminds me of Clement V...

14. Rigby macrumors 601

Why do you equate migrants will "illegal aliens"? The whole premise of your question is false.

15. steve23094, May 27, 2019

steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

You were doing so well until your last sentence. It’s reasonable to consider the differences between multiculturalism and integration.

Multiculturalism fuels suspicion of other cultures because of a lack of familiarity. The solution to this problem is integration.

Trevor Phillips presented a powerful Channel 4 documentary on this subject.

I don’t think it’s healthy for people of different origins to never interact, and there are definitely areas of London where it’s completely monocultural.

16. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I think it’s more xenophobia and a concern too many immigrants are entering the continent and not contributing to the economy.

17. weckart macrumors 601

Europe has had a decade of recession/low growth thanks to the crash. Many governments have been following policies based on austerity. Migrants cost money and put pressure on resources and housing. It's bad timing on their part. 'Twas ever thus.

18. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I would guess it's more Populism (which is a nebulous term). It's also probably karma in most instances also.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Just poking fun at the English, and they often do at us Yanks. No offense intended. We all have our traditions that seem positively weird to people outside the culture. I honestly don't get Morris dancing, but there are plenty of UK traditions that I think are amazing. I understand why people want to defend them, and I consider my kids American, Scottish, English and British due to their family history and their upbringing. It's just a shame that defending cultural traditions has ceased being about promoting culture and more about turning on others. FWIW I think this is happening everywhere.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

No.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The people in question are asylum seekers so are not illegally doing anything.

22. BoxerGT2.5, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I don't believe it's racism or xenophobia, I think in many circumstances the "natives" are getting tired of the idea that immigration is an exercise in morality. What's getting old is immigrants coming in consuming public goods and social services while not contributing to society. The other issue is the EU dictating to specific countries how many immigrants they must take in when said countries don't want to take people in who struggle with or flat out refuse to assimilate in that given country.

23. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

It depends why those people want to enter a country.

Is fleeing war, famine, or is it because they are attempting to skip a country's immigration process, are people complaining about specific races, religions?

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

EU member countries decide the volume of immigrants admitted to their particular country and the amount eligible to apply for work. The EU parliament have no say in this and never have.