EU: Elections Today

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by robbieduncan, Jun 4, 2009.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I hope all of the MacRumors members in the EU are out voting today. If you don't vote then I hope you won't complain about anything the European Parliament does for it's next term!

I voted on my way to work. I have to admit I wasn't too impressed with the choice on offer but I managed to find a party to vote for.

Edit: it seems that only us (the UK) and the Dutch are voting today with the rest to follow over the next three days...

2. mcnicks macrumors regular

I cast mine first thing this morning. Regardless of how disaffected I might feel about the political process right now, I always get a bit charged about the very idea of voting.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I believe the polls are open until 10pm this evening, so circumstances permitting I'll pop down tonight.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Time for voters in Northern Ireland to choose which 3 monkeys to send off to the European gravy train... Wouldn't mind the job myself but seemingly competence excludes you from politics.

I'm protest voting over the recent expenses scandal (among other things that have annoyed me about UK politics recently) - it's the only way politicians will get the notion that they can't take the electorate for granted. It doesn't help that the candidate put up by my usual party of choice is a complete idiot and I'm planning to punish them for putting up a poor candidate

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yup. Just got back from the polling station.

:)

6. Conversion macrumors member

Conversion

Have to wait until Sunday to vote here in Denmark.

7. thecritix macrumors 6502

I can't vote as my polling address is registered as my parents address and i can't get there today.. however

I would not wish to vote anyway.

I have never had a vote on whether to be in Europe or not, I've never been able to reject these European thieves.

I wish the UK was in a similar position to Norway, friends with europe but not sending my tax money to pay hundreds of thousands of pounds to MEP's I don't want, don't like and don't trust.

I don't like the open borders work policies, I don't like the fact that my local area is over run by eastern europeans while British people are jobless.

I hate the fact that they want to make the United Kingdom, whatever you may think of her at the moment.. a region of the 'State' of Europe.

I don't want to live in Eurasia, I want to live in Britain.

Even if I voted UKIP (I don't want to because they take as much as anyone else and have been proved corrupt) it's not in their power to get us out from just being MEP's.

8. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then you should have made the effort to vote for one of the many parties who are standing on a platform of us leaving the EU. By not voting you have, in my eyes, given up any right to complain or be upset about anything the EU does until the next election.

9. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Then why not do as many others do and protest your vote by submitting a spoilt ballot?

I've said it before on a number of threads, but I would be strongly in favour of a 'none of the above' option on our voting forms for those who wish to express their dissatisfaction at the candidates we're offered.

If this were the case, then - aside from genuine reasons such as, say, illness - the only excuse not to vote would be apathy.

10. thecritix macrumors 6502

It's a well practiced point that you make... however

What you consider my right to vote, on this occasion I also consider my right to abstain.
    I will vote in a UK election because that is my government of my country, but the EU is not my government, I don't want them and won't partake in their sham elections.

What bigger blow to the 'democratic' system can there be than its people saying 'no thank you' and there being a very low turn out.

I don't believe that any of the parties deserve my vote, I believe they are all on the fiddle and that by voting I am supporting a candidate who is likely just as corrupt as the one whom he replaces.

11. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A big blow would be a huge number of spoiled ballots. Most people not voting will do so through apathy, laziness or similar. You will be lumped in with them, not with a group who do not agree with any of the available choices.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed. Submit a spoilt ballot and you're at least showing you're bothered enough about our politics to go in to a polling station and express an opinion. It's clearly a vote lost due to dissatisfaction in the choices we as an electorate are given.

By 'abstaining' you're giving those in power clear licence to do what the hell they want – if you can't be bothered enough to vote, why should those in power be bothered about your wants and needs?

13. thecritix macrumors 6502

They don't care about my wants and needs!!!

None of them at all, we the people have no power over them, we're ruled not led. The small policy details change but the song remains the same..

They'll do what the hell they want anyway.. look at the Lisbon treaty/EU constitution they don't care what the public wants.

Same old story again:

Brown will reshuffle the same old crap and the same old donkeys will be trotted out to say something like we need to reconnect with the public, show that Labour has done a good job for the British people and keep working hard for them. blah blah blah.

And so it goes on...

14. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I think the only way we, as a country, will matter in the future is being part of an enlarged EU. Collective will be able to throw more weight behind global politics and economics.

I'll be voting tonight.

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What exactly are these wants and needs?
    A protest vote by you would have sent a message — just sitting back and moaning about things is, well… perhaps not the most well thought through strategy.

Agreed.
    There is no way the UK could ever hope to compete globally without being part of the EU…

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I woke up and thought SHIIIIT 'cause I haven't bothered looking into it at all so I'll have to spend a few hours researching it today. I always vote though, seems disrespectful to me not to given that 100 years ago I wouldn't have been able to.

Also my parents are on holiday and someone from this family has to vote.

Hell's Bells, you do realise that European Laws trump UK Laws right? The EU does govern us in several areas. That's why we have a vote in these "sham elections".

Incidentally I for one am very happy about the open work borders, I'll probably be using them for much of my professional life.

17. cqexbesd macrumors regular

My area has rising unemployment as well with the Ford factory closing and workplaces cutting back...but you know..I went and asked and it turns out the head of Ford isn't Polish! And blow me away when I found out that the city bankers, who have to take at least some of the blame for the mess the economy is in, largely seemed to be white British people. I went to see who was in the government that was doing stuff all to help regular working people and lo and behold they weren't Polish either.

I can't help but think something is fishy when I'm told all the problems are due to migrants cause all I ever find in charge is filthy rich white people in need of moat cleaning services. Ah well if we get a party in with an anti-migrant stance I guess we can get back the million British people living in Australia and I'm sure the Spanish will be glad to have their beaches back.

18. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Fear of the unknown, don't see the Spanish complaining when brits open 'British Pubs' in benidorm etc.

19. Queso macrumors G4

I shall vote, although until I turn up at the voting booth I'm not sure who for. The Jury Team is interesting IMO, going on what their website says they stand for.

Jury Team

20. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Indeed, although as a loose coalition of independents rather than a unified party with a manifesto it was difficult for me to be sure what I'd get if I voted for them.

21. Queso macrumors G4

The individual candidates for each area outline exactly what their stance on a number of issues are in their website profile. You're voting for an individual who has committed to an agreed platform of political reform, so the onus is on you to read what each of them is about on other issues before choosing the one to support.

Not as easy as supporting a mainstream party, which of course means they'll get less votes. People tend to be too lazy :(

22. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unless I was looking at the ballot paper wrongly this morning it doesn't quite work like that. Unlike the "true" independents the JT are listed as a party: so if you put your cross against that and they managed to win 1 seat their first nominated person gets it, 2 then the first 2 and so on. Their candidate list (in order) along with all the other parties is here. So if you vote for them you are basically voting for Reza Tabrizi (as I can't see them winning more than one seat). You can't vote for, say, David Littlejohn...

23. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I just voted.

Very happy to assist in driving a few more nails into Gordon's coffin.

24. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

Here in France, voting only starts on Sunday. I've just received the political propositions by mail, and so far, NONE has convinced me. Probably going to get a blank vote...

Medias are forecasting only 30% vote participation in France....This election is going to be a blast :D

25. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I was torn between casting a spoilt vote or The Green Party. I went with the latter.