EU to stop changing the clocks in 2019

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrenchRoasted, Jan 4, 2019.

1. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

Can't decide if they want to stay on normal time or DST.
    https://www.dw.com/en/eu-to-stop-changing-the-clocks-in-2019/a-45495680

As a parent, I absolutely cannot stand DST. Just leave time on Standard Time and be done with it. Companies can decide for themselves if they want to move to "summer hours" where people come to work and leave an hour early.

Most importantly, how can you trash talk Trump about this?

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

"An online survey in which 4.6 million responded, 3 million of those are in Germany." Oh the rest of the EU will love this.

3. MarkusL macrumors 6502

I live somewhere in the rest of the EU and I have not been able to find a single person who wants to keep changing the clocks.

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

You need a wall between timezones. They've done it since time began.

5. cube macrumors P6

Winter time sucks. Do they really need to think about it?

6. niji, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

niji Contributor

niji

i live in japan.
    japan doesn't now (it did at one time) change clocks.
    in mid-summer, in northern japan, first light is at 4:00 am; in the tokyo area, in mid-summer, first light is around 4:30 am.
    as an early morning runner, i love this.

7. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

Basic problem is that parts of the EU are on CET that just shouldnˋt be.

Permanet DST wonˋt be popular in Spain, while normal time in the summer would kinda suck further east.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I guarantee most people in Europe will be in favour of not changing the clocks. We moan about it in Britain every year and I would t imagine it’s the same everywhere.

9. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Yes as a parent it is a pain, but it takes me a month to get readjusted which usually includes getting sick due to lack of quality sleep just to do it all over again 4 months later.

This is one big reason we are considering Arizona to retire. They don't change their clocks.

10. MarkusL macrumors 6502

I thought retirement was all about not caring about the time anymore.

11. Solver macrumors 6502a

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I loathe it. Takes weeks to readjust my body clock. :mad:

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even for people who find it easy to change their body clock like me it is still annoying.

I’d like the U.K. to stay on UTC+1 all year. And I’d presume Spain and France would do the same. With countries further east on UTC+2.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It really sucks in Scotland. You start waking up with actual sunshine in the morning in the spring and then ... just kidding, wake up in darkness again.

15. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Until we know what DJT thinks of DST then I don't think anything can happen in the EU.

16. weckart macrumors 601

I'd like the UK's time to reflect its geography. Portugal pretended it was further east once because of Spain/business/whatever. That got canned. If individual schools or businesses want to change their operating hours at various times in the year, let them. No reason to drag the rest of the country with them.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I loathe the time change. It disrupts my already awful sleep schedule. 1hr makes a huge difference to my sensitive circadian rhythm. The day the clocks change in the fall might as well be considered the beginning of my Season Affective Disorder.

18. cube, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019

cube macrumors P6

A poll shows that most people in Europe prefer summer time. Good.

19. chown33 macrumors 604

The Time Bandits will still get across.

20. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

21. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

As a rule fo thumb, further south it would be better to stay on summer time (+1hr) and further North it would be better staying on winter time. For example, in Britain we'd be better off using GMT year round rather than BST (GMT +1) as GMT works OK in the summer while BST means awfully dark mornings in the winter (particularly in Scotland). In France or Spain which for a large part lie directly south of us, GMT +1 becomes an increasingly strong argument - Spain (oddly) already use GMT +1 and GMT +2 already, so just dropping GMT +2 in the summer (which is a bit too far ahead of the solar day) would probably work ideally for them.

22. cube macrumors P6

Some people like it dark in the morning and hate it dark in the afternoon.

23. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The time switch has never bothered me, however I’m fine with sticking to one time setting. :)

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I live in Scotland and I agree wholeheartedly. Winter time would be fine throughout the year for me. Where I live a one-hour adjustment doesn't really do anything to alleviate the circadian assault of the winter. One wakes up in the dark, and by mid-afternoon it's dark. That's just the way it is. Changing to BST is the cruelest blow of all - when winter finally recedes we start to wake up when it's light and then the clock changes, as though at the whim of some cosmic practical joker, and we face another month or so of waking up in the dark. **** that. :mad:

25. cube macrumors P6

Since I was a kid I enjoyed traveling to school in the dark.

It is not cool that it is dark when you leave work.