Europe: where acquiring a legal gun is impossible, but easy for Muslim terrorists.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Man, guns are illegal is Europe, so why do jihadists have no problem getting black-market AK-47s?

COPENHAGEN — Here in Denmark, handguns and semiautomatic rifles are all but banned. Hunting rifles are legally available only to those with squeaky-clean backgrounds who have passed a rigorous exam covering everything from gun safety to the mating habits of Denmark’s wildlife.

“There’s a book about 1,000 pages thick,” said Tonni Rigby, one of only two licensed firearms dealers in Copenhagen. “You have to know all of it.”

In the case of the Paris attackers, they were able to obtain an entire arsenal: AK-47 assault rifles, pistols, a Skorpion submachine gun and even a rocket-propelled grenade launcher. All of it was purchased in Brussels for about $5,000, according to Belgian media reports.
Yea, guns laws really work, don't they?

Stop terrorism. Ban guns. :rolleyes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/getting-a-gun-legally-in-europe-may-be-hard-but-terrorists-have-little-trouble/2015/02/19/9eb6bce2-b78b-11e4-bc30-a4e75503948a_story.html

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Seriously?

2012 Homicide Rate per 100,000 population
Denmark - 0.8
United States - 4.7

The United States has a murder rate almost eight times that of Denmark.

Gun laws may not necessarily stop terrorism, but they certainly seem effective at preventing murder.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
People in Europe laugh/shake their heads at threads like "show your guns" or "do you get off on 6.66 ammo?!" on US message boards and still die far less of gun "incidents" and stuff. What is your point, if you think you have one?

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Man, guns are illegal is Europe, so why do jihadists have no problem getting black-market AK-47s?

Stop terrorism. Ban guns. :rolleyes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/getting-a-gun-legally-in-europe-may-be-hard-but-terrorists-have-little-trouble/2015/02/19/9eb6bce2-b78b-11e4-bc30-a4e75503948a_story.html
First off, I also have to ask are you trying to get a job writing headlines for the tabloid press?

Second get your facts right Europe is more than 32 different Countries, and fire arms are FAR from banned in all of them, I myself have two hand guns and a shotgun.

Of course he was armed with an illegal weapon he's a terrorist, if this was the US the chances would be large that he would commit the terrorist act with LEGAL weapons.

The weapon used to unleash a barrage of 40 bullets at a Copenhagen café on Saturday, killing a film-maker and injuring three police officers, was an M95 automatic rifle, according to a report from court proceedings.
Copenhagen police and the security and intelligence service were unwilling to confirm on Tuesday the weapon type for investigation reasons, but Danish national radio reported that prosecutor Stig Fleischer had named the weapon during the remand hearing of two men suspected of helping the attacker.
The two men, who were remanded for 10 days pending further investigation, are suspected of having procured the weapon and helping to hide Omar Abdel Hamid el-Hussein between his attack against the café killing Finn Nørgaard and an early morning attack against the Copenhagen synagogue.
During the second attack, Dan Uzan, a Jewish economist, was killed and two officers wounded.
Automatic rifles used in Paris attacks traced to shop in Slovakia 18 Feb 2015
“If you take the type of gun used, I hate to think what could have happened if the attacker had been more efficient,” said Rasmus Askov of the Army Combat and Fire Support Centre. “It is efficient up to 400 metres,” he added.
Until 2010, the M95 was the automatic rifle of choice for the Danish army.
In 2009 a total of 44 of the weapons, along with grenade launchers, light machine guns and ammunition, were stolen from an armed forces armoury, but the Danish Security Agency said on Tuesday that all of these weapons had been recovered prior to the weekend’s attacks.
Hans Jørgen Bonnichsen, the former head of the Danish intelligence service, said that having found the weapon, there was a good chance that police would be able to discover where it came from.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/denmark/11418871/Copenhagen-shootings-Weapon-used-in-the-cafe-attack-identified.html

There are unconfirmed reports that the weapon was stolen from an member of the Danish Army Reserve, who like the Swiss have their weapons in their homes.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
First off, I also have to ask are you trying to get a job writing headlines for the tabloid press?

Second get your facts right Europe is more than 32 different Countries, and fire arms are FAR from banned in all of them, I myself have two hand guns and a shotgun.
It is amazing how gun advocates see this binary, black and white world. Guns are restricted in Europe. They are not all illegal or banned. Europeans can and do own firearms. Why anybody would try to push the propaganda that aaronvan is peddling is beyond me.

His premise is false, and his snarky slogan, "Stop terrorism. Ban guns," is a non sequitur.

Other than that ...

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Not in all EU countries. In fact it is pretty much banned in most of them.
Codswallop! I've owned guns here in the Uk in the past. (I don't now). I have had friends in France, Germany etc who have owned guns.

What you don't have though, is a tradition of being able to own handguns (or assault rifles etc) for personal defence either in the home or in the street.

Edit - Just looked up the figures, here in the UK (with some of the most restrictive legislation) there's a shade under two million (yes, two million) legally held shotguns. There's also plenty of full bore rifles (.223, .243 .308 etc etc owned as well)

Last edited:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Codswallop! I've owned guns here in the Uk in the past. (I don't now). I have had friends in France, Germany etc who have owned guns.

What you don't have though, is a tradition of being able to own handguns (or assault rifles etc) for personal defence either in the home or in the street.

Edit - Just looked up the figures, here in the UK (with some of the most restrictive legislation) there's a shade under two million (yes, two million) legally held shotguns. There's also plenty of full bore rifles (.223, .243 .308 etc etc owned as well)
Depends on the country. Most are so heavily restricted, that it comes down to an effective ban.

----------

In the past ...
All guns? There are no rifles or shotguns? No hunters? No sports shooting?
good luck getting a gun in the UK unless you are anything but cleaner than clean with zero wrong doing in your past or considered future.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Depends on the country. Most are so heavily restricted, that it comes down to an effective ban.
It's only a 'ban' if you want them for self defence. If you want them for clay shooting, rabbiting etc etc it's generally no problem. (Unless you have a criminal record etc)

In the past ...
Eh? A friend has just applied for and got a shotgun cert. (He lives in London). I only got rid of mine when I had kids. (I think they're not good things to have with small children around but as they say, your milage might vary!)

----------

good luck getting a gun in the UK unless you are anything but cleaner than clean with zero wrong doing in your past or considered future.
No, you just can't have a criminal record. If you don't have one the police are often quite obliging and their chief concerns are generally secure storage and your house security.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Since I merely re-worded their headline, I'm hoping for a job with the Washington Post.
The problem is you re-worded "hard" and turned it into "impossible".

Tell me ... do you know the difference between those two words?

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
Seriously?

2012 Homicide Rate per 100,000 population
Denmark - 0.8
United States - 4.7

The United States has a murder rate almost eight times that of Denmark.

Gun laws may not necessarily stop terrorism, but they certainly seem effective at preventing murder.
do you really believe gun control is the reason denmark enjoys those low murder rates?

brazil has similar laws and the murder rates are like 20 in the good parts, 100 in the bad ones :)

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Man, drug dealing is illegal in the US, so why do drug dealers have no problem getting drugs?

Seriously?

Tell me. If we abolished all drug laws in the US, do you think the number of people harming themselves with drugs would stay the same, increase or decrease?

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Man, drug dealing is illegal in the US, so why do drug dealers have no problem getting drugs?
For the same reason black-market arms dealers in Europe have no problem buying and selling arms.

Tell me. If we abolished all drug laws in the US, do you think the number of people harming themselves with drugs would stay the same, increase or decrease?
The number would decrease dramatically.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
For the same reason black-market arms dealers in Europe have no problem buying and selling arms.
Yet the everyday, common criminal doesn't carry a gun (or at least use it in a crime). So there is an effect that the restrictions have despite the presence of a black market.

moonman239

macrumors 68000
Mar 27, 2009
I think what US needs is a deregulation of guns. We should take a look at letting people just buy just about whatever non-defective gun they want.

More specifically, here's what I'm thinking:
If:
1) Your criminal record does not indicate you are a threat
2) You know how to properly use, store, and care for the gun model you want & any thing you'd like to add (ammo, mags, etc.) - and you do use, store, and care for such items (incl. the gun) properly
3) The gun you want has no defects
Then:
You should basically have the right to own and openly carry that particular gun.

I feel that it is better to have a gun with lots of ammunition and not need the gun or that much ammunition, than to need a gun and a lot of ammunition and not have one or both of those.

I like this quote from Clint Eastwood:
I have a very strict gun control policy. If there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I feel that it is better to have a gun with lots of ammunition and not need the gun or that much ammunition, than to need a gun and a lot of ammunition and not have one or both of those
Why does anybody need a gun in the present-day United States?

Are you worried about bandits robbing your stage coach? Is John Dillinger planning on holding up your bank? Are the Cheyenne going to be raiding your homestead anytime soon?

I'll be honest and say, based on their statements, I really begin to question the fundamental grasp on reality itself that the gun community has.

If anyone can give me a reasonable answer to the basic question: "Why I need to have a gun in 2015 USA" - I'll promise to reconsider my position. But "because"; "Freedom!!!!!" and "the Constitution" don't really make it.