Europe: where acquiring a legal gun is impossible, but easy for Muslim terrorists.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Feb 19, 2015.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Man, guns are illegal is Europe, so why do jihadists have no problem getting black-market AK-47s?

Yea, guns laws really work, don't they?

Stop terrorism. Ban guns. :rolleyes:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...b6bce2-b78b-11e4-bc30-a4e75503948a_story.html

2. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Short of reintroducing airport-level security at every border crossing in Europe, how do you propose to stop the shipment of weapons?

$5k sounds like a sweet deal, btw.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Seriously?

2012 Homicide Rate per 100,000 population
    Denmark - 0.8
    United States - 4.7

The United States has a murder rate almost eight times that of Denmark.

Gun laws may not necessarily stop terrorism, but they certainly seem effective at preventing murder.

4. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

Death by gun rate per 100,000, excluding suicide.

USA - 3.13
    Denmark - 0.3
    UK - 0.07

5. dec. Suspended

dec.

People in Europe laugh/shake their heads at threads like "show your guns" or "do you get off on 6.66 ammo?!" on US message boards and still die far less of gun "incidents" and stuff. What is your point, if you think you have one?

6. Happybunny macrumors 68000

First off, I also have to ask are you trying to get a job writing headlines for the tabloid press?

Second get your facts right Europe is more than 32 different Countries, and fire arms are FAR from banned in all of them, I myself have two hand guns and a shotgun.

Of course he was armed with an illegal weapon he's a terrorist, if this was the US the chances would be large that he would commit the terrorist act with LEGAL weapons.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...eapon-used-in-the-cafe-attack-identified.html

There are unconfirmed reports that the weapon was stolen from an member of the Danish Army Reserve, who like the Swiss have their weapons in their homes.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Frightening thought indeed. :p

8. Zxxv macrumors 68040

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It is amazing how gun advocates see this binary, black and white world. Guns are restricted in Europe. They are not all illegal or banned. Europeans can and do own firearms. Why anybody would try to push the propaganda that aaronvan is peddling is beyond me.

His premise is false, and his snarky slogan, "Stop terrorism. Ban guns," is a non sequitur.

Other than that ...

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Not in all EU countries. In fact it is pretty much banned in most of them.

11. jeremy h, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

jeremy h macrumors 6502

Codswallop! I've owned guns here in the Uk in the past. (I don't now). I have had friends in France, Germany etc who have owned guns.

What you don't have though, is a tradition of being able to own handguns (or assault rifles etc) for personal defence either in the home or in the street.

Edit - Just looked up the figures, here in the UK (with some of the most restrictive legislation) there's a shade under two million (yes, two million) legally held shotguns. There's also plenty of full bore rifles (.223, .243 .308 etc etc owned as well)

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

All guns? There are no rifles or shotguns? No hunters? No sports shooting?

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

Depends on the country. Most are so heavily restricted, that it comes down to an effective ban.

----------

In the past ...

14. Zxxv macrumors 68040

good luck getting a gun in the UK unless you are anything but cleaner than clean with zero wrong doing in your past or considered future.

15. jeremy h macrumors 6502

It's only a 'ban' if you want them for self defence. If you want them for clay shooting, rabbiting etc etc it's generally no problem. (Unless you have a criminal record etc)

Eh? A friend has just applied for and got a shotgun cert. (He lives in London). I only got rid of mine when I had kids. (I think they're not good things to have with small children around but as they say, your milage might vary!)

----------

No, you just can't have a criminal record. If you don't have one the police are often quite obliging and their chief concerns are generally secure storage and your house security.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That remark made my day, I had to look up that word (Codswallop), I’ve since stored it away for future use.:D:p:D:p

17. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Since I merely re-worded their headline, I'm hoping for a job with the Washington Post.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The problem is you re-worded "hard" and turned it into "impossible".

Tell me ... do you know the difference between those two words?

19. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Fair enough. I should have added a qualifier.

20. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

do you really believe gun control is the reason denmark enjoys those low murder rates?

brazil has similar laws and the murder rates are like 20 in the good parts, 100 in the bad ones :)

21. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Man, drug dealing is illegal in the US, so why do drug dealers have no problem getting drugs?

Seriously?

Tell me. If we abolished all drug laws in the US, do you think the number of people harming themselves with drugs would stay the same, increase or decrease?

22. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

For the same reason black-market arms dealers in Europe have no problem buying and selling arms.

The number would decrease dramatically.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yet the everyday, common criminal doesn't carry a gun (or at least use it in a crime). So there is an effect that the restrictions have despite the presence of a black market.

24. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I think what US needs is a deregulation of guns. We should take a look at letting people just buy just about whatever non-defective gun they want.

More specifically, here's what I'm thinking:
    If:
    1) Your criminal record does not indicate you are a threat
    2) You know how to properly use, store, and care for the gun model you want & any thing you'd like to add (ammo, mags, etc.) - and you do use, store, and care for such items (incl. the gun) properly
    3) The gun you want has no defects
    Then:
    You should basically have the right to own and openly carry that particular gun.

I feel that it is better to have a gun with lots of ammunition and not need the gun or that much ammunition, than to need a gun and a lot of ammunition and not have one or both of those.

I like this quote from Clint Eastwood:

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Why does anybody need a gun in the present-day United States?

Are you worried about bandits robbing your stage coach? Is John Dillinger planning on holding up your bank? Are the Cheyenne going to be raiding your homestead anytime soon?

I'll be honest and say, based on their statements, I really begin to question the fundamental grasp on reality itself that the gun community has.

If anyone can give me a reasonable answer to the basic question: "Why I need to have a gun in 2015 USA" - I'll promise to reconsider my position. But "because"; "Freedom!!!!!" and "the Constitution" don't really make it.