European law for standardized chargers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by djrod, Mar 14, 2014.

1. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

2. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

3. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I've been following MacRumors for the past few days since this hit the news, but no one seems to have taken notice. I may have missed it so if there's already a discussion about it I apologize.

Basically, the EU has decided ALL phones MUST bear a micro USB port for charging. In which case, Apple will either have to change its Lightning port to a USB port or prove both ports on the device. An EU spokesperson here in the Netherlands suggested that including a simple Lightning to USB converter (as is sold now separately) will not be tolerated by the new law.

I am personally, as an EU citizen, appalled by this decision. Besides being a direct assault on the freedom of choice, it will also put a damper on innovation by using this ancient protocol.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/will-eu-ruling-force-apple-change-iphone-6-charger-1440273

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I presume they'll settle with Apple having to throw in a free adapter.

I thought they had to do that already.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's a stupid move. Apple already ship there devices with a universal charger unlike Nokia and a few others.

The law should be simple as in the power brick must be USB based not fixed cord.

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

If I was running this at Apple, I would ditch the cable and include the micro USB to lightning adaptor.

After all we all must have a few spare micro USB cables lying around?

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

This was a dumb idea a few years ago, and it's even dumber now. The EU shouldn't be mandating the connection on the phone end, they should be mandating the connection on the charger end.

If the EU is so hell-bent on mandating something, then let them mandate the charger to output 5V at 1/2.1 amps with a standard USB-A connection.

Mandating micro-USB at the phone end only limits the capabilities of the phone. I may be incorrect, but you can't transfer at USB3 speed with standard micro-USB. You need the really big micro-USB plug with the two ports "welded" together. Yeah, you'll still be able to charge, but that micro-USB3 plug is huge and gets in the way of designing the phone.

Anyways, that's the end of my rant

8. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I would mind if they (Apple) actually allowed you to sync music with a micro USB cable and an official lightning apple adapter. It's expensive enough buying the adapter to find it only charges!!!

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Huh? What exactly is new here? The EU announced it would be requiring MicroUSB a couple years ago. Apple responded by supplying an adapter:

[​IMG]

10. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have no problem syncing my 5s with iTunes on my computer using an Amazon micro USB cable and Apples micro usb to lightning adapter.

11. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Actually Toine Manders begs to differ, according to dutch sources he said what you're saying doesn't adhere to the new rules. Apple has to switch the lightning male end of the cable to micro-USB.

----------

This is correct.

Except this is impossible because regular Micro-USB does not support all Lighting peripherals.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This hit the news years ago which is why no one seems to be taking notice now. Your article doesn't mention it, but the one thing that I've seen which might be bringing it back to the news now is apparently they expanded it to include tablets recently. And Apple will continue to do the same thing to comply that they have been doing with iPhones for a couple years and include an adaptor.

13. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The industry does this kind of thing all the time, see MPEG and 802.11. Ideally instead of getting this far (the government mandate), the industry created a plug standards group that generates new widely adopted designs, keeping down clutter and redundancy. You buy one new set of plugs, say every 10 years and everything else you buy comes without a cord (costing less) and everyone benefits.

14. chambone, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

It's crystal clear to me by now that EU lawmakers excel at one thing and one thing only; making asses out of themselves by showing the world their incompetence over and over again. I wish we could get rid of these overpaid clowns.

Or maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of a single reason why enforcing a certain type of cable will reduce the amount of usb chargers that get thrown away. What does one have to do with the other? Riiight, exactly nothing, zip, nada. Moreover, I take this 51.000 tonnes anual waste with a large grain of salt. It's a made up number. They're basically saying that half of the EU population throws away a perfectly good usb charger every year, and that's an estimate in their favour as well. Ridiculous. Why is it that these people don't comprehend that USB chargers ARE ALREADY UNIVERSAL, *********.
    Erm.. I mean goshdarnit

The only thing that will reduce the amount of discarded USB chargers is to force electronics manufacturers to sell them separately. You heard it here first from a EU tax paying meat factory worker simpleton.

15. Huntn, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

As a rule I like standardized connectors and such, but I think it is better when the industry comes together and jointly agrees, not that it be mandated by the government. Or let the government mandate, but allow industry to figure out the best solution.. Now in my ignorance of this subject, does this above apply to this situation?

[​IMG]

I noticed that those micro connectors (above on right) had been adopted (in my pre-iPhone days) to most cell phones charging ports, and mostly I liked it because it meant I could use the same car and house charger when I got a new phone. But I wonder how much voltage variance there is between different manufacturers and if you still have to buy the manufacturer's charger, is this kind of a rule really fixing anything?

I really like the Apple connectors and think they industry should be forced to adopt them! :p

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Old news and all that. But, this is an opportunity to discuss the micro-USB interface.

The fact is, I agree with the EU that should be a required charger interface.

But, to put it bluntly, micro-USB sucks. I have several micro-USB phones that are not that old, and, their micro-USB ports are already so worn that the charger falls right out. The ports and the chargers wear out quickly. With the micro-USB cable, you can recycle it. But, how do you fix a micro-USB port? The cables now fall out of the phones even using brand-new cables- the ports are that worn. Grrr.

17. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

It's nice to know that all other problems in the EU
    Have been cleaned up and they can focus on the really important things.

18. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Can't remember if mine is an old BB cable or a Samsung one! Hmm wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason!

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Non issue, media hysteria to get ad clicks.

IPhone already comes with a common USB TypeA charger, and a means to make the iPhone compatible with the common charger.

[​IMG]

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Non issue, media hysteria to get ad clicks.

IPhone already comes with a common USB TypeA charger, and a means to make the iPhone compatible with the common charger.

[​IMG]

21. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

If Apple wasn't a publicly traded company they could really stick it to the EU and stop selling iPhones in Europe :p

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I agree that it is a good thing to have a standard charger, but I don't think the EU is going about it in the right way. It would be better to create a group with representatives from the major phone companies and give them the power to set the standard as that would be more likely to allow it to change and be updated as needed.

23. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

It's ********, and I hate that the EU dictates such stuff.

Also, they've made the "cookie-law". All sites using cookies needs to show a box regarding cookies that the user has to accept....

MicroUSB might be fine for phones, but tablets still needs more power. Lightning is capable of that (about 12W). If tablets should be charged by MicroUSB it would take much more time to get them charged. Even Samsung have made their own proprietary chargers for tablets (like almost every other tablet manufacturer). If they force MicroUSB, we would still need another adapter for our tablets. And then we're back at the starting point.

Why would the EU limit the innovation in electronics with these crazy laws. Seriously.. Use your time (and our money) for something better..

----------

No, you have to buy it separately. I think EU wants Apple to include it in the boxes when you buy the devices.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It is apparent, to me anyway, that the EU is all about 'sameness'. Impossible!!

As stated above, let the market decide, and stick to something of merit.

25. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

You guys aren't listening to me...

This is all media hype, to get ad clicks.

Apple complies with the 2009 voluntary MOU.

"The Commission does not have evidence that Apple has breached the agreement. The iPhone 5 can be used with an adaptor allowing it to be connected to the common charger. The Commission does not interfere on the marketing strategies of the manufacturers."
    http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getAllAnswers.do?reference=E-2013-001164&language=EN

This new 2013 proposal, merely makes that compulsory and expands it from just mobile phones, to all radio products.

And the Commission has confirmed Apple's implementation of Lightning is A-OK.