European Union trying to Impose 70 mph Cars

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AustinIllini, Sep 3, 2013.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/02/n...wants-to-limit-all-cars-to-70-miles-per-hour/

2. simsaladimbamba

It would probably take a decade or ten to enforce such a ruling, and as with all government sanctions and requirements, the government would not pay for the upgrades to the older car, just like they want us to HAVE IDs with us and let us pay for them, but then again, there are more efficient ways to control us, for which we pay in the long run anyway.

3. AhmedFaisal, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  4. Happybunny, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

Happybunny macrumors 68000

So true.
    This ones a non starter.:p

Although that being said I do see, the idea about a warning about speeding, being looked at.

5. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

You can do that in a lot of German cars already. I couldn't figure out how to get my Audi to stop beeping when I hit sixty mph.

All I can say is I hope American lawmakers don't try this. El Paso is already 6 and a half hours away at 80 mph. At 70, it's 8 and a half

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I've never had any car German or otherwise beep at me for going over the limit though I have seen my share of red flashes.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I never understood why cars were allowed to be made to go 150mph which is legal...nowhere. But limiting cars to the speed limit? What if my passenger is dying and I'm doing 50 in a 40 trying to get to a hospital?

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

10. robpow macrumors regular

robpow

So let me get this straight. The 'Daily Caller', whatever they are, re-print a piece from the British The Telegraph (warning - anti-EU bias alarms goes off) referring to a research paper looking into what's already in place for heavy goods vehicles and how it could apply to other vehicle types.

So unless I've missed something one fixed-agenda media outlet has blown a piece of research out of proportion only to be quoted as fact in another. You could hardly call it journalism.

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It's legal on the autobahn in the areas of no speed limits... And on tracks...

Leave it to a non-car person to miss the point of why sports cars going that fast....

Sure on the streets you can't go 150 MPH( except for the autobahn), but if people who do it at places appropriate for it( like the salt flats) then why not?

12. AhmedFaisal, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  13. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Huh? If El Paso takes 6.5 hours at 80 MPH that would make it 520 miles away.

At 70 MPH that would take 7 hours and 43 minutes. That's assuming you can maintain the top speed--whether 70 or 80 MPH--the entire trip, which is impossible. In reality the difference would be much less than 73 minutes.

Where did you come up with a difference of 2 hours?

Michael

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Being pulled over?:eek:

15. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

He went to college in Illinois then moved to Texas is that enough of an explanation? :p

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Actually it is 7.43 hours, which is 7 hours and 26 minutes ;).

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And to be fair in no other country ;).

A hopefully more realistic example is when you are overtaking someone going slightly less than the speed limit - and you speed so you pass them as quickly as possible.

18. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Just saying :D

A8's 5/7er's blow me off the road all the time.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have never understood some people's need for cars that can achieve a speed that is in way excess of the speed limit. Are their ****s really that small?

20. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I've never understood why people need a 5" phone so that means they must be compensating for something too right?

If you're not a car person and only see a car as an appliance on wheels that takes you between point A and point B, you will not understand. Certainly it isn't a need to have a Corvette, Ferrari, etc, but a want.

21. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

If they set the limit at 90 mph, I would be okay, but I live near an 85 mph highway.

Also, if you take your car to a track, you should be able to go as fast as you want.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'd say that apart from for the German market a hard limit of 100mph would be a good idea. Outside Germany and race tracks there's no remotely legitimate reason for you to go that fast.

----------

In that case I'd say 90 mph is a bit slow for a limit - there are always legitimate reasons to go a little above the speed limit for short periods.

----------

Yeah, but to do that safely you need to be on a race track not on the public road.

23. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Agreed. The only place you can safely utilize a Corvette's, Ferrari's, etc potential is either on the autobahn or a race track.

But, that wasn't the issue I was addressing. The issue was his assertion of why bother having cars that can go a significant amount above the speed limit.....

24. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

"The cars would then automatically slam on the brakes when drivers exceed the posted speed limit."

Yeah, that is just bad writing. "Slam on the brakes"? I am done taking that writer seriously.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Fair enough I think we agree completely :) - I presumed VulchR meant on the public highway ;).