Euthanasia – what do you think?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macjakob, Jun 22, 2008.

1. macjakob macrumors newbie

I'm preparing for my English exam, and my subject is Euthanasia, and I'd like to have some inputs from various points of view.

What do you think about euthanasia? Is it OK? Should it be illegal? Are there certain circumstances where you think it's allright – elderly, incurably ill, handicapped?

What is your opinion?

Reluctance to euthanasia usually (not always, of course), has its roots in religion. Could you please, if you don't have anything against it, also state whether you are religious or not? Could possibly help me quite a lot, if I could see if there more or less of a connection.

Thank you very much.

Jakob

2. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Personal opinion, it should be limited to pets and animal with injuries that prevent them from living pain free.It should NEVER be considered for people. Other wise, it becomes a Mercy Killing. Assisted suicide and so forth. I come from the biblical point of view, that God decides when we die. And Life is precious.

3. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i am on the (open) pro choice side of things. "open" meaning, everything should be considered.

so i would be open to euthanasia. meaning, personally, if i cannot live to a standard, that i personally have planned or envisioned, i would strongly consider it.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I'm "pro choice". If the person who's dying thinks it's OK, and the doctor who's taking care of him is willing to participate with the patient's consent, then it's OK. I don't think there are any moral issues if the person who's dying consents to it.

5. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I'm all for euthanasia myself.

I always think about how I'd like to treated if I was terminally ill. Lying in a bed watching the clock whilst my family sit around me waiting for me to die......no thanks! Let's all say our goodbyes and someone jab me with way too much morphine and let's call it a day!

Obviously rules need to be in place about when this would be allowed to implemented. I think it's this grey area that's going to prove the time factor in when and if euthanasia will ever be allowed. Certainly some sort of psychological examination would need to be required to determine that you totally understood your options and that this wasn't a assisted suicided. To me there's a great difference between euthanasia and assisted suicide. Suicide something that I feel is decided on purely based on emotion. The decision to end your life since the quality of it has become so low is something totally different.....and I choice I feel I should be allowed to make, for the benefit of myself and others around me.

6. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm for the choice. God has given us our life to make our own choices, our own path. I would not want to live with the assistance of a machine, to me that is not much of a life.

Peace:cool:

7. Queso macrumors G4

I don't see how anybody should have the right to prolong the life of somebody who no longer wishes to live. Permitting euthanasia, especially for those who live in daily agony through illness, is a sign of a mature and healthy society.

I also note with interest that those that oppose euthanasia tend to also support the death penalty. Hypocrisy of the highest order that one.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There should certainly be provisions in place to ensure it can be proven beyond doubt that it's the free choice of the individual concerned. With such safeguards, I'd be in favour.

I'm not religious, by the way.

9. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

So are you saying that the life of an animal is not precious? Does God (or whoever you may believe in) not have a say over when animals die, is God not the creator of all life?

Take this as an example. A child is born severely handicapped and in their life their emotions and feelings will not be as complex as those of a gorilla (animals which exhibit extremely complex emotions and behaviours, for example they mourn the loss of another gorilla within a group). Now are you saying that under correct circumstances it is correct to euthanize the gorilla but not the child?

I am not attacking you or your beliefs, but I find your statement a major contradiction.

10. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I think there are many cases in which mercy killing is completely necessary. In war time soldiers practice such activity when prolonging life will only result in a long, painful torture before death. Much like some individuals with extremely critical conditions which result in unbearable pain or zero possibility of recovery. Not to mention I believe it's a person's right to do as they please with their body.

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yep all for it. I'm calling when it's over for me.

12. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

If I don't want to live as a vegetable, I think I have the right to make that decision.

irmongoose

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think in the end they're not that much different than the youth in Europe, or the Americas, or Africa.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Please bare in mind the the OP wants opinions, and positions on religion, not open debate.

For me, I favour choice as well, and I choose to call myself agnostic.

If the person is incapable of making the decision for him/herself, then an Official Guardian could be assigned. The family should be removed from the process, due to legal implications regarding estate.

No quality of life = no life.

15. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

Just to answer your question, we use animals for food, therefore we kill them.

And as JH said, this isn't the place for debate. Just opinions ;)

Edit - Both sides of the coin

16. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Voluntary, sure.

Involuntary seems a bit sinister. Or do I mean non-voluntary?

17. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But that's the problem. Someone has to do it for you otherwise it's just plain old suicide.

I can see this problem from both sides so I can't decide if I'm for or against it.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It had to be done. It just had to.

20. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'm all for it.

If I had an illness that meant I would die a horrible painful death or spend years in a vegetative state then I want to have the right to end it.

Oh and I'm an atheist.

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It is truly surreal that the only person definitely against euthanasia is the one who looks forward to the Rapture, the euthanasia of billions.

I'm all for it, with suitable controls.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't like the idea of increased haste, though a medical version of a DNR practiced before that usual time would be OK.

As in just letting somebody say, enough is enough, give be meds to make me comfortable and do nothing else to prolong life.

23. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Indeed. I think the OP is not being clear enough with the question.

I support the right to die without equivocation. A person's, body and mind is their own and I don't see any moral basis for saying that an individual does not have the absolute right to destroy themselves if they so wish. I would go further and say that it should be a basic right, just like life and liberty, and not only should laws against suicide should be struck down completely, but that it can't be done soon enough.

On the other hand, euthanasia as it is commonly practised today in some European countries, is more about the family's "rights" to give old Nan the needle because she hasn't spoken in years and they are tired of washing and changing her. It's more about convenience for the family, than the rights of the dying.

When we say "euthanasia" it's proper and important to separate euthanasia on an unconscious, likely terminal patient by a doctor at the family's request, from the right to take matters into your own hands if being of sound mind, you decide you want to. They aren't the same thing at all.

24. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Barring someone from being mentally ill, I think that in cases where someone will suffer if kept alive artifically, or given meds to alleviate chronic suffering, I think it should be allowed.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Which European countries would those be?