Eve Ensler on Sarah Palin - A message to all women voters.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Sep 23, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

This is a chain email sent out by Eve Ensler, author of "The Vagina Monologues."

Sorry it's kinda messy. It got chopped up from being forwarded to many times.

2. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Thanks, Sky Blue :) I quoted the original you posted instead of the email one. It was cleaner.

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

About what I'd expect from someone who has previously written that it's OK for adult women to rape little girls. See: original text of "The Little Coochie Snorcher that Could".

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Did you read the same version I did? :confused: There was only one rape in it that I could see, and that was not perpetrated by a woman. Perhaps you have an unexpurgated copy.

5. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

read that this AM on the hopper.... no comment. deep down Eve wants Palin....

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

In the original text, the victim is thirteen and the perpetrator twenty-four. The original text also includes the closing line, "If it was rape, it was good rape.". These have since been, shall we say "modifed", to make the victim sixteen and the last line was omitted. You must have one of the later editions. Mine went straight into the bin as soon as the term was over.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

is this from one of her books? And can you not take it so literally?

Id assume tom clancy avocates killing people in the shadows because one of his video game characters does too, right?

I love when people see valid points and choose not to discuss them but instead question the character of who said them.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The version I read is in that case a later version, but still only contains one rape that I can see. Surely rape is not dependent on age?

Bring on the Thought Police.

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

If that's the case... In "The Sum of All Fears" he writes about a nuclear weapon being exploded at the Super Bowl, which clearly makes Mr. Clancy a terrorist sympathiser! :eek: ;) :rolleyes:

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

That's pretty sexy knowing she has all those guns. Interesting article.

11. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I certainly wouldn't advocate that, but Ensler is evidently advocating that it is dependent on gender. Suppose someone else had written a piece about a 24 year old man having his way with a 13/16 year old girl after getting her drunk so she wouldn't resist so much - I'd wager $10 to a wet fart that Ensler would be clamoring to be first in line to string up whoever wrote it.

Actually, it's from a collection of plays called The Vagina Monologues. Go get a little more familiar with them and you'll find they're not meant to be purely fictional for entertainment purposes only. I'd also recommend some high school English classes if you're of the opinion that an author can write without injecting any bias into his product. Or what am I supposed to think when I read:
    Practically every line in that paragraph screams anti-male bias. This woman has an agenda, pure and simple, and just about everything she writes is in furtherance of that agenda.

FYI, Clancy writes books, not video games. He's very pro-military and his many novels reflect this. Naturally, the military sometimes has to kill people in shadows, as you put it. So yes, I'd imagine he would be in favor of the military doing their job. You'll have to ask him, though.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

All i was saying is that her article isnt totally agenda based, if it was, a die hard feminist would be telling her "sisters" to vote palin no matter what. Im saying look at her actual points instead of the few zingers (which are pointless IMO) that she threw in there.

Also, im 17, public schools wouldnt TOUCH anything named " the vagina monolouges" around here, seeing as anything that can be even remotly linked to sexual (i know thats not the point of TVM) is too controversial;)

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Any person that decides who to vote for based on 3rd party blather deserves the candidate of their choosing.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Indeed, I think we can agree that people who make light of rape are horrible, horrible people.

Right?

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Actually, if you've been paying attention, you'll note that the die-hard feminists are against Palin because she's not toeing the feminist party line. Compare this to Hillary, who pulled out the sexist card and slapped it down at the first opportunity.

Wait until college; you'll get slathered with it there.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

In this case, im going to agree 100%

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How many times has the Mccain camp pulled the sexist card for her so far?

Really, theres gotta be a counter out there somewhere.

18. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Man you cant even read..

Your link tells of a man who raped a TEN year old girl and was shot by her father.

Then it describes a seduction of a 16 year old girl by an older woman.

Please get your links/stories straight.

19. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm sure the joke has been made before, and as usual I'm probably way behind on this one, but am I the only one who saw this line

and thought, "Well she may have been practicing abstinence, but evidently she's not very good at it..."

20. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Dude, you're obviously illiterate. That whole page is part of the same act/scene/whatever. Since you need help understanding, let me explain that it's a series of memories from one person at different points in her life. I also said that in the original text the girl was 13, and that a telling line was expunged.
    Here's another link to a criticism of the scene which references the original text in case you forget to read the first one:
    http://www.academia.org/campus_reports/2000/may_2000_4.html

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So are feminists the only folks you'll call out for saying rape is something enjoyable?

22. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

At what point was I ever disagreeing with you about that? I don't recall saying I found McCain's jokes, if we can call them that, funny or acceptable. I remember we had a point of contention regarding which joke it was, but that's it.

I am, however, calling attention to Ensler's notion that rape by penis = horrid and deplorable, yet rape by coochie snorcher = glorious and beautiful.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, I don't think there is any contention about which joke we are discussing anymore, is there?

Are you planning on voting for McCain? If so, there would appear to be a gigantic double standard if your vote tacitly says it's acceptable for a man to tell a story about a woman enjoying a rape, while your words here indicated it's not acceptable for a woman to tell a story about a woman enjoying a rape.

And lets be clear: You are here saying that we should disregard any and all of Ensler's work because she once told a line about a woman enjoying her own rape. Yet if you vote for McCain, you are saying it's ok to disregard a line about a woman enjoying her own rape.

24. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Please don't quote a editorial from the academia.org hacks as anything of merit. They're a rubbish partisan think tank.

When it comes down to it you're contorting over fiction. It's a book that explores the vagina in vignettes from a woman's point of view. It covers a lot of ground and is supposed to test the reader by confronting their preconceived notions. The fact that you take what happens with the characters as a reflection of the views of the author is pathetic. It's like saying that Thomas Harris thinks that murder and cannibalism is OK.

It's obvious that you're motivation here are two-fold. Firstly to defend the political party of your affiliation with an ad hominem attack against Eve Ensler to save you addressing her points, and secondly because you're deeply scared of feminist women.