Even a quad-core processor can’t fix Android

Discussion in 'iPad' started by russelldirect, Nov 30, 2011.

1. russelldirect, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2011

russelldirect macrumors member

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-review/

It's funny, because the iPad 3 will have 4x the resolution of any tablet out now and we all know it will be smooth as butter.

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

This will always be a problem for Android based stuff. Google makes software that isn't designed for any specific piece of hardware. Manufacturers add garbage on top of Android and you get a not so perfect interface.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This.

Its a prime example of how hardware isn't everything (yet I'm sure, like always someone will try and chime in and argue otherwise).

I have a game I'm working on that I keep doing test builds to Android with and no matter what device I choose I just can't get the performance I want. Its a shame because I'd love to launch it on more than one platform.

The main issue is OEM's who customize/ruin Android when they slap it on their phones.

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The Prime is running Honeycomb though, when the Prime gets ICS it should be much more fluid since it'll support GPU acceleration for the UI, etc.

5. realitycheck69 macrumors member

Yup. Honeycomb can't even use all those processors.

ICS by the end of the year. Release date is 12/19, so..........at the very most there will be 11 days were you won't have ICS on the tablet.

6. russelldirect thread starter macrumors member

Hasn't this been promised with every major version of Android?

7. realitycheck69 macrumors member

Nope.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You mean many pundits speculate (and most of us hope).;)

9. russelldirect thread starter macrumors member

I will be so sad if this doesn't happen this revision. And I'm a pretty reasonable guy -- I was extremely pleased with the updates the iPhone 4S received.

10. skiltrip macrumors 68030

My 600MHz Android phone (over clocked to 787MHz) is way more fluid and way less laggy than my iPod touch 4th gen.

It really is all about the manufacturer's crapware living on top of Android. Im running straight Android Gingerbread (CyanogenMod 7) and its quick, smooth, and rock solid.

Touchwiz, Motoblur, Sense, and all those other interfaces give Android a bad name.

11. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Pretty much. If Sprint or O2 or Vodafone or AT+T put crap on the iPhone it would be a fairer comparison.

12. russelldirect thread starter macrumors member

But HTC and Motorola choose to put those UI overlays on Android. No one forces them to make their phones worse.

You shouldn't have to put a custom ROM on your phone or overclock it for it to not suck.

13. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Why?

The point being that the iPhone does not come with preloaded garbage but the majority of Android based phones does.

That's the reality. The "out of the box" user experience of these Android based phones will be perceived as being lesser for that fact alone.

There would be no point in claiming "all things equal" ... when push comes to shove, the inherit problem of the kernels of both platforms really make the difference.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Funnily, the same thing was said prior to Honeycomb's release. Personally, I'm waiting for Ice Cream Sandwich with rainbow sprinkles.

15. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I'm all for defending Android but my HTC G1 lags a bit compared to any iPod Touch even with CyanogenMod, the later androids do not lag with CyanogenMod.

But like previous people said, the lag should be a lot better with ICS release.

16. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

a classic case of not understanding the context because the review makes it clear that honeycomb does not have quad-core support hence all the tests that they ran in the review used only 2 cores. ICS is required quad-core use and Asus has promised that it will be supported once ICS is official.

i'm kinda impressed that the Prime scores extremely close to the ipad2 in terms of battery life without even running the Prime in its most power-efficient state.

17. henchman macrumors 6502a

My iPad with iOS 5 gives me random program closures, web pages that sometimes take forever to open, safari force closing.
    And don't say it's my iPad.
    My wife's does the same thing.

So let's not pretend the iPad is flawless.

18. Meanee macrumors 6502a

ICS is optimized for hardware acceleration and multicore support... Wait till they test one out with ICS.

And every OS has occasional hiccups. My iPad 2 is no exception.

19. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Universally licensed operating systems = little to no optimization.

Pull the software out of OEMs' grimy, corner-cutting hands, and oversee the entire production process from cradle to grave. That's the first step in "fixing" anything related to User Experience. And start policing your damn App Store FFS.

20. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Why so angry? Not like you ever plan on using it.

21. Meanee macrumors 6502a

assume - an ass out of you and me.

22. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I don't know why but "overclocking" made me laugh.

What a ridiculous thing to do/have to do to a mobile phone.

23. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It is a weird thing to do, but hey, you can do it. I do not get the point, some people might. If anything, I underclock my phone, gives me 20 hours of battery life.

24. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Not nice to call someone an ass. You clearly don't know LTD enough, he would never betray Steve Jobs by giving a chance to Android.

25. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Are you his/her lawyer? Character witness?