Even Fox is no longer covering Trump’s rallies

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/...ngs-fox-news-891621?__twitter_impression=true

I’m not surprised. These rallies are long and boring. There is no theme or structure it’s just Trump riffing for an hour plus, and a lot of what he says is repetitive from rally to rally. I honestly don’t know why he holds these rallies other than his fragile ego requires them.

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

To him, that's likely to be enough reason. For sane people, well..

3. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Because when Trump is speaking at a rally, he's not tweeting (yet), and the White House staff knows where he is and what he's doing (exaggerating, let's say, and one can hope just repeating old fabrications, not adding to the pile). So, they can catch a break for a little while.

Probably Fox realizes that in some of the red states, say the grain exporters, it's better that viewers see less of the Champion of Trade Wars on their screens as we approach elections.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

He loves a crowd.

Also - the speeches are "boring" because they are the same speech over and over.

5. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Maybe because he helps the candidates he's supporting by doing the rallies :).

Why do you believe that FOX or any other network should show anyones complete rallies rather than parts of them ?

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Because Fox used to carry his rallies live. Heck one of the reasons he got elected was because CNN would carry most of his rallies live.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2018 ---
    This morning he spent nearly 50 minutes chewing the fat in a phone interview with Fox and Friends. Eventually even Steve Doocey was ready to move on and told Trump to go run the country.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Did you really watch/listen to all 50 min?

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Heck no.

9. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The rallies were for his election. Now the rallies are to support other candidates.

10. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

The speeches do get boring but the jokes never will.

“Ms. Feinstein, did you leak the letter?!”

:D:D:D

11. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Yet they’re still 99.9% about him.

12. hulugu, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The rallies are just Trump verbally masturbating, so I don't see how they help other candidates.

The people who go to hear Trump yammer for an hour are these days, dyed-in-the-wool Trump supporters who are going to vote for the Republican candidate anyway. Except for reminding a crowd of 3 to 10,000 people to vote, the rallies are largely a waste of time.

And, there are other candidates who are praying that Trump doesn't come to their state, and have quietly told the White House to keep him out of the state.

Trump hasn't steered the good ship SS Prattle On to Arizona for a while, and I suspect that's because Ariz. Gov. Doug Ducey, Senate candidate Martha McSally, and candidate Lea Marquez-Peterson don't want to spend the next few weeks defending Trump's statements.

13. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

He talks mostly about himself during these but they are still campaign events for another candidate (i.e. not rallies for Trump). I'm not sure why anyone expects 100% media coverage when Trump is speaking at someone else's event ?
    Could you list the candidates that indicated that they didn't want Trump to help (I would like to match the candidates with the results after the election).

I personally believe that Kelly Ayotte lost in NH in 2016 by distancing herself from Trump. It got her some votes but I believe she lost more votes from the Trump supporters who refused to support her.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You're right.

The fact that Trump's rallies used to get coverage is the real story, and it illustrates a significant flaw in cable news, which just swamps itself with cheaply-produced nonsense rather than working on expensive investigations or international bureaus.

Jay Rosen was right last year: send in the interns. Let them cover the White House press conference—as if Sanders is every going to respond to a question with an interesting answer—and let the rallies become a backwater that gets covered only by local reporters when the president arrives in their coverage area.
    I listed three in Arizona, but keep in mind, no one is going to tell the president publicly to stay away. That's just foolish, instead, they will demure as Dan David, running in Philadelphia did.

And as Dick Polman wrote in The Atlantic:

But, my sense is that Arizona's GOP knows the president can be a problem and that's why Trump's campaign decided against a visit to the state after rumors had circulated that he was coming to Phoenix.

I would compare the campaigns where Trump visited to the campaigns Trump did not visit and take a look at the win-loss record compared to polling before Trump arrived. See if there's a bump.

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

So Fox got sick of watching Insecure POTUS Love Me Fests. :rolleyes::oops::oops:

16. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Senate or House candidates might be at these events but as far as I know they are Trump rallies/events.

17. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I really like Trump Twitter Archive. There's also a reddit showing Trump constantly contradicts himself. This is probably my favorite other than his electoral college opinions; he blasts Obama for campaigning DAYS after a hurricane. He campaigns the same day as a hurricane, then has a meeting with Kanye West. I truly mean you can't make this up - he must be going through his old Tweets and purposefully one-upping his opinions of Obama to test his base for fun, just to see how far he can push them.

[​IMG]

Link to Tweet