Even if it doesn't come scuffed out of the box, will it eventually get scuffed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Action, Sep 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Action macrumors member

And by that I mean, will it show signs of wear and get dinged up a lot easier than previous iPhones. Already I'm reading about people here seeing damage after only a couple days of light use.

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

So far I've hiked in two national parks, slipped on gravel and fell on the pocket holding my iPhone 5, and used it pretty much most of the day yesterday and today. No scuffs.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

4. TheDLade macrumors member

This is probably the most durable iPhone ever, gorilla glass, anodised aluminium. If it isn't scuffed out of the box, stop worrying. It doesn't scratch that easy, unless you intentionally scratch it.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Of course it will eventually. Gas runs out eventually, just as earth is dying eventually.

But nobody knows for sure yet how much it will get worn after some time. iPhone 5 only 2 weeks old. So yeah .. your question is kinda weird. Sorry.

6. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

It definitely feels more fragile than my iPhone 4S but that could just be a psychological effect caused by the reduced weight. I've had it since Friday afternoon and I've yet to get any dings/scuffs but I've been treating it way more carefully than a phone should be.

I really don't want to put it in a case (I've never used one with any iPhone I've ever had) but I'm starting to think maybe I should just so I feel comfortable using it without worrying about it getting scuffed. Hmm

My friend received his iPhone 5 the same day I did and he pulled it out of his pocket and found a new scuff on his. It had literally only been in his pocket with nothing else in there. This black anodized finish seems just weak. He has already contacted Apple and they are sending him a new phone in a couple days. He intends to put a case on that one.

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Dunno if anyone else here is familiar with firearms.

Though the iPhone coating isn't exactly the same as a firearm, my daily carry weapon develops wear from holstering/unholstering numerous times.

Now that the black iPhone has a metal anodized back, pocketing/unpocketing the phone hundreds of times is going to eventually put some wear on the finish.

8. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Someone create a new start up that makes micro fibre pocket inserts for phones.

9. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

and I actually think ill accept the normal wear. i don't even have my iPhone 5 yet.

10. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

There are man-purses for the scratchnophobiacs.

11. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I had mine for 2 days and all the paint has rubbed off. It know looks like a can without the wrapper. :cool:

12. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

Pics?

13. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I was kidding my phone is beautiful.

14. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Eventually yes it will. What the hell were you expecting it to indestructible. What's wrong with you man?

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you keep it naked, yes. If you get a cover to protect the parts that get scuffed, no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.