Even if it doesn't come scuffed out of the box, will it eventually get scuffed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Action

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2008
And by that I mean, will it show signs of wear and get dinged up a lot easier than previous iPhones. Already I'm reading about people here seeing damage after only a couple days of light use.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
And by that I mean, will it show signs of wear and get dinged up a lot easier than previous iPhones. Already I'm reading about people here seeing damage after only a couple days of light use.
So far I've hiked in two national parks, slipped on gravel and fell on the pocket holding my iPhone 5, and used it pretty much most of the day yesterday and today. No scuffs.

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
This is probably the most durable iPhone ever, gorilla glass, anodised aluminium. If it isn't scuffed out of the box, stop worrying. It doesn't scratch that easy, unless you intentionally scratch it.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Of course it will eventually. Gas runs out eventually, just as earth is dying eventually.

But nobody knows for sure yet how much it will get worn after some time. iPhone 5 only 2 weeks old. So yeah .. your question is kinda weird. Sorry.

Quu

macrumors 68030
Apr 2, 2007
It definitely feels more fragile than my iPhone 4S but that could just be a psychological effect caused by the reduced weight. I've had it since Friday afternoon and I've yet to get any dings/scuffs but I've been treating it way more carefully than a phone should be.

I really don't want to put it in a case (I've never used one with any iPhone I've ever had) but I'm starting to think maybe I should just so I feel comfortable using it without worrying about it getting scuffed. Hmm

My friend received his iPhone 5 the same day I did and he pulled it out of his pocket and found a new scuff on his. It had literally only been in his pocket with nothing else in there. This black anodized finish seems just weak. He has already contacted Apple and they are sending him a new phone in a couple days. He intends to put a case on that one.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Dunno if anyone else here is familiar with firearms.

Though the iPhone coating isn't exactly the same as a firearm, my daily carry weapon develops wear from holstering/unholstering numerous times.

Now that the black iPhone has a metal anodized back, pocketing/unpocketing the phone hundreds of times is going to eventually put some wear on the finish.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Texas
Dunno if anyone else here is familiar with firearms.

Though the iPhone coating isn't exactly the same as a firearm, my daily carry weapon develops wear from holstering/unholstering numerous times.

Now that the black iPhone has a metal anodized back, pocketing/unpocketing the phone hundreds of times is going to eventually put some wear on the finish.
and I actually think ill accept the normal wear. i don't even have my iPhone 5 yet.

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I had mine for 2 days and all the paint has rubbed off. It know looks like a can without the wrapper. :cool:

Funkymonk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2011
Eventually yes it will. What the hell were you expecting it to indestructible. What's wrong with you man?

Status
Not open for further replies.