even if you pre-order, wont you still be waiting in line?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pacdamac9, Jun 8, 2010.

1. pacdamac9 macrumors member

If you were to pre-order on the 15th and arrange to pick it up in the store...

Wouldnt you still have to wait in line? I cant imagine what the lines are going to look like and it probably wont be moving at a fast rate. And who knows if the Apple stores are going to have enough inventory for everyone in line.

So what are the benefits of pre-ordering if you have to wait in line and if they sell out by the time you get in the store?

Is is better to have it delivered???

:confused::confused::confused:

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I would think they set aside a phone for you if you pre-order. So I guess the benefit is to have a phone guaranteed in the store with your name on it. But you would still have to wait in line I guess.

Definitely having mine delivered.

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Why not just get it delivered? That's what I do, and it's there waiting for me when I get home, no hassle. Sure, if you get it in store you'll get it a few hours earlier, but come on.

Now I'm only saying this because I'm not into the whole "event" style of product launches. I know a lot of people have fun being in lines, camping out, interacting with others, etc. If that's your thing, by all means go for it.

I'm not positive about pre-ordering though, I don't know if there's one specifically reserved for you or if it's still first-come-first-served for the pre-orders. I have to assume you'd be guaranteed one but you would be waiting in a line.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

If it is the same as the iPad went, my store had a preorder line and a regular line there on launch day. The preorder line was significantly smaller and went by significantly faster.

I'm definitely preordering it, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get it shipped to my house or pick it up at the store since I will be working on that day. Is a signature required for at home delivery?

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Same here. FedEx and/or UPS usually have packages here @ my office by 12PM at the latest.

6. MUBiomed macrumors 6502

MUBiomed

Just have it shipped to your house on launch day....easy enough. Plus you don't have to let a clumsy Apple/AT&T rep unbox the phone whilst sliding it all over the counter.

7. dach2k3 macrumors member

when you pre-order, do you specify the store that you will pick it up at?

8. pacdamac9 thread starter macrumors member

Last year for the 3GS, was it gauranteed to be deilvered on launch day?? Did all you guys get it the same day?

For my 3GS I went a week after launch day so I have no idea how the pre-orders work...

9. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

No, they send it to a random one and you just have to pray that it's one nearby you ;)

Just joking with you. Yes, of course you can choose which store to have it delivered to.

Yes, I believe everyone received theirs on launch day if they preordered in time.

10. bina12834 macrumors regular

just have it shipped to your office on the launch day. thats what im doing. so that i can whip it out and play with it infront of all my co-workers and make them jealous. of course i wont be able to sync it til i get back home, but ill still be able to show off the cams and stuff.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Last year, those who pre-ordered got to go in to the store ahead of those who didn't. I was out of the store with mine 10 minutes after the store opened.

12. pacdamac9 thread starter macrumors member

i just noticed you reside in the DC area... which apple store did you goto for your 3GS... pentagon?

13. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes, that's a good idea. I'll probably go that route as well. However, I'm pretty sure you can't really do anything when you first get the phone. You'll just get the Plug into iTunes screen. Either way, if I went this way I'd have it for sure on that day and as soon as I got home I could use it and not have to go to the store to pick it up.

I had my 3gs delivered to my home last year, but I live in walking distance to the Clarendon store so that is the one I go to usually.

14. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I would pre-order but I do not know whether to choose white or black, I am leaning towards white...but I don't know for sure until I hold them both in my hand.

I will probably go in-store 2 days after launch so I don't have to deal with all the lines. Then once I am there I will figure all this out and make my purchase.....

Speaking of lines, if anyone has been in a line before....when do the lines start to die down for previous launches? The day after launch? two days? more? I am in Los Angeles so I can either go to the Beverly Center, The Grove, or possibly the one in Century City...or, would going to an AT&T store just be better? Thats where I bought my 3G....

15. brinycbri macrumors 6502a

so, is it a different line? or still a long line?

ps i live in nyc

16. bina12834 macrumors regular

yea...at least ill have it in my hands as soon as i can being at work and all and not being able to go to the store as soon as it opens.

btw....go pens

17. bina12834 macrumors regular

the white has that ugly sensor grill right above the earpiece speaker...

black ftw

[​IMG]

18. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I can't imagine there being any lines except the launch day. Having to deal with stores running out of stock? Possibly.

It sounds like its up to the store's discretion on how they want to do it. I think for bigger stores that are used to dealing with lines and high volume would have 2 seperate lines.

Boooooo

19. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

I camped at the Claredon store for the 3G! Well does 5am arrival count as camping?

(Yea this post was pretty useless)

20. Che Castro macrumors 603

question

I have a 3g and will get the the new iphone4

but i want to add another line to my account and give my old 3g to another person

I want to keep my phone number from my 3g and use it in the new iphone4

the person im givin the old 3g phone has a virgin mobile phone
    they want to port there virgin mobile number into the 3g phone, can this be done?

21. dach2k3 macrumors member

looking at the apple website it seems that apple has 2 terms:

"Pre-order" which seems to signify that they will be delivering it to your home.

and

"Reserved" which seems to sigify that you will be picking it up at a store.

22. StephenRzucidlo macrumors member

ill pre-order did it last year had it sent to my home and fedx always is at my house by 9am

23. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

So does the black, it just doesn't show it as well (I am sure it'll show up in sunlight)

White doesn't show fingerprints, heres black after a few minutes of use....
    [​IMG]

I will always use the iPhone in it's birthday suit with no case. I guess they each have their pros and cons....thinkin' I'm just gonna pre-order the white 32GB :eek:

24. jisaac macrumors member

I've had this same discussion. I've had 2 black 3G iPhones, 3 white 3GS iPhone - definitely prefer the white. On iPhone 4 I am up in the air. I hate finger prints and dirt but not sure I like the white as much. Will preorder but wish I could fondle the phone a little before deciding.

25. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

3G release day I waited in lines, dealt with annoying people, annoying employees and like 5 hours later I went home.

3GS release day it was shipped to my office, I opened it at like 11 a.m and was ready to go 20 minutes later.

Iphone 4 will be shipped as well, no doubt about that.