Even Obama's Advisors Start to Turn on Him

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, Jul 13, 2010.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Obama faces growing credibility crisis

And yet i still don't understand why people as smart as you guys still support this man who clearly is in over his head trying to lead the country.

2. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

So guess this means that the GOP thinks they can create jobs or other DEms think they can create them? By selling out to big Business? I wouldn't care if you had someone as good as Barry Goldwater in office the jobs are not going to come.

So how is obama over his head for this? I mean is he suppose to bend over and pull jobs out of his butt crack?

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You have a source that doesn't have a payregistration-wall?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

To whom exactly are you addressing this? I'm not smart enough to work it out. :confused:

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Because normal people judge a President on their full term, not after a year and a half.

6. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who said the entire forum supports him? We've all been highly critical of Obama. But if you're going to ask me whether I'd want him or Bush- there's no contest. Obama, please. Bush ruined this country in ways that will probably take decades to recover from. If you think that anyone could undo that amount of damage in this amount of time, I don't know what to tell you.

8. 184550 Guest

An article I read in the Sunday NYT a couple of weeks ago compared Obamas presidency to Carters and suggested that Obamas recent downturn in popularity is largely due to external, national and international factors that he cannot control.

For example, the continuation and growth of terrorism overseas (not the actual wars in Iraq and Afghanistan), the oil spill in the gulf, etc...

These are all factors that he cannot directly control yet a majority of Americans feel that he can/should be able to do something about them.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You pretty much nailed it.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

He did manage a year-over-year deficit reduction... perhaps with some technicalities.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/story/j...s-more-than-expected-as-tax-revenue/19552061/

I'm disappointed in the slow progress in reducing the budget sinkhole that is our waste-of-time investments in Afghanistan, Iraq, and the least-covert-CIA-operation-in-history, and I'm displeased on the lack of progress in restoring civil liberties, but I haven't really seen a compelling argument from anyone who could/would do better on the job market / economy issue. I've just seen polemic.

11. Shivetya macrumors 65816

LOL, as I am so certain many here were judging Bush fairly at this time in his term.

12. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Bush's "damage" was mostly recoverable, Obama's is not. We had a chance when Obama took office to stop the reckless spending, but instead he went and did Bush ten times worse. Then he tops if off by further eroding the loss of rights in the name of terrorism, delaying the 9/11 trial, and worse, going after our citizens more than the terrorists. No, this guy in less than two years has done more damage both her and abroad than Bush did in eight.

We can only hope he becomes a good President by being saddled with a Republican controlled Congress. Clinton rose from mediocre to a good President when he actually had to listen to the other side. Obama is all arrogance and ignorance.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you think Obama's in over his head, then McCain-Palin would've been about 40 fathoms deep. Could you imagine if they, or any Republican, were in the Oval Office right now? They'd have taken a bad economy and imploded it. Fall of the Soviet Union, Western-style.

Tell the families of all those dead American soldiers and Iraqis that their deaths are "recoverable".

Tell us how anything Obama is doing now is "worse" than Bush wanting to monitor every phone call and e-mail, stealing control of the National Guard away from all 50 governors, and using signing statements to say "**** you" to Congress.

Tell me you wrote that post while on a bad acid trip.

14. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

So ONE advisor is unhappy? That's all the proof you have? One advisor. Makes a big difference who he is.

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Monday > People apparently. :mad:

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Are you ********** kidding me? Wow- the guy has listen to the other side quite a bit- a lot more than he should. If we get a Republican congress, tings are going to get a lot worse, not better. Look what those fools did the last time they were in power.

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

When I stopped laughing at this, I actually shuddered in fear that this is believed by rational human beings.

A history lesson:

January 2001
    20 On the day of George W. Bush’s inauguration, Chief of Staff Andrew Card issues a sixty-day moratorium halting all new health, safety, and environmental regulations issued in the final days of the Clinton administration.
    23 On the twenty-eighth anniversary of the Roe v. Wade decision, Bush reinstates the “global gag rule” barring U.S. funding for abortion counseling abroad.
    29 Sets up White House Office of Faith-Based And Community Initiatives, crossing separation of church and state line.
    February 2001
    5 Bush suspends Clinton’s “roadless rule” protecting nearly sixty million acres of forests from logging and road-building.
    17 Bush signs four anti-union executive orders, including measures to prohibit “project labor agreements” at federal construction sites and to remove job protections for union employees whose companies lose federal contracts.
    26 Senate Republicans introduce a bill to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil exploration.
    March 2001
    7 At the urging of President Bush, Congress repeals ergonomic regulations designed to protect workers from repetitive-stress injuries.
    9 Bush issues an executive order to prevent mechanics at Northwest Airlines from going on strike.
    14 Bush abandons his campaign pledge to regulate carbon dioxide emissions from power plants.
    20 Bush administration moves to overturn a Clinton regulation reducing the allowable level of arsenic in drinking water.
    28 Bush backs out of Kyoto treaty on global warming.
    April 2001
    4 United States Department of Agriculture proposes lifting a requirement that all beef used in federal school lunch programs must be tested for salmonella; the proposal is dropped two days later.
    9 Department of Interior proposes a limit on lawsuits seeking protection of endangered species.
    May 2001
    11 Bush administration abandons international effort to crack down on offshore tax havens.
    16 Vice President Dick Cheney’s task force releases its “National Energy Policy” report, calling for weaker environmental regulations and massive subsidies for the oil and gas, coal, and nuclear power industries.
    26 Congress passes $1.35 trillion tax cut.
    29 Bush meets with California governor Gray Davis but refuses to impose federal price controls to curtail California’s energy crisis.
    June 2001
    19 Cheney refuses to release records of energy task force meetings to the General Accounting Office.
    21 Bush threatens to veto McCain-Kennedy patients’ bill of rights legislation.
    28 Attorney General John Ashcroft announces a policy that would require gun records be destroyed one day after a background check rather than ninety days later.
    July 2001
    9 Bush administration opposes UN treaty to curb international trafficking in small arms and light weapons.
    26 Bush administration rejects international treaty on germ warfare and biological weapons.
    August 2001
    6 Presidential Daily Briefing warns “Bin Ladin [sic] Determined to Strike in U.S.”
    9 Bush limits stem cell research to “existing lines.”
    September 2001
    6 Justice Department drops effort to break up Microsoft, hoping to speed settlement of antitrust lawsuit.

Then a cynic would say fate handed Bush, whose approval ratings were lagging, on the U.S.'s worst day on 9/11, a golden opportunity. War usually gives presidents a surge of popular support.

We had the nation united on 9/11. We had world sympathy and support. And what did Caesar do... squandered good will, pushed an agenda that massively increased the powers of the Executive branch and limited personal freedoms, spat in the eye of the world in a way that has damaged international relationships for what will be decades, turned a budget surplus into record deficits, diverted resources from a just war with Afghanistan to attack under false pretenses an irrelevant Iraq, deregulated many industries (contributing to financial collapse and yes, poor safety on deep water drilling rigs), fiddled while New Orleans sank (that was more a Nero than Caesar issue).

I am no Obama apologist. I voted lesser of 2 evils. However I would say Obama is more like both Ford AND Carter. Those presidents inherited a country down and almost out. Economy sucked, we were failing in an unpopular military conflict, and the nation was cynical and desperate for change. Carter, despite the goofy farmer caricature, was a smart man. He didn't connect well with the populace in office and his managerial style was questionable. It took incredible timing for a personable, charismatic president (Reagan), to be able to take credit for that recovery. I feel for Obama's timing. He came in, ala Carter with such desperate hope for something better for the US he will never live up to the hype. The next administration (if Obama only gets 4 years) will likely get credit if things get better.

Ships don't change course immediately (unless acted upon by extreme external forces). When an order is given for a course correction, it takes time, Bush inherited a ship that was heading off course and promptly steered us into the rocks. Which captain gets us off the rocks and rights our course has yet to be seen.

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

You may want to check your math.

19. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

hmm, thats weird, it wasent blocked for me :confused:

20. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

What little credibility you clung to was lost when you said that ANY president's "damage" is not recoverable.

What a moronic statement that only talks about YOUR feelings on the subject which just happen to be so slanted to the right, that you dont have a left hand.

To say that ANY damage done cant be reversed, especially when its talking specifically about a guy you personally dont like as president, makes you look like a GOP shill.

21. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Bold's mine

I get that he was an incompetent president, but he was not that bad. If we would have stayed out of Iraq he would have been pretty mediocre/average. Iraq did him in though. Big mistake.

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

All you can say is "good" after the 1.36 trillion dollar tax break? :eek:

What spending was cut to pay for that tax break? I cannot fathom how cutting taxes without making any other changes to offset them can be seen as anything other than a cheap political stunt.

A devastating one at that.

23. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yes, good.

More spending should have been cut, no doubt about that.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So it's still good, because you like the principle, even though the way it was implemented was terrible?

25. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yes

People sometimes stand on principle.

So yes, I like the idea but I also think it was poorly implemented.

Is that so crazy?