Even trade Early 2013 13" rMBP for 13" Haswell rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Benjamin99, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Benjamin99 macrumors member

So I'm having some buyers remorse - purchased an early 2013 rMBP 13" ($1699 at my spec) at the beginning of the month. I am still within my return window, albeit with a 15% restocking fee since it is opened ($250). If I were to return it, forfeit the restocking fee, I would be getting back roughly (~$50 diff) to pay for the newer model w/ the same specs (since Apple was so generous to drop the price by $200...$1499). I don't feel that I necessarily "need" the new version, but the extra battery life and being a little thinner/lighter would be nice (if even noticeable?) as well as not being an extra version behind next time one comes out.

My main concern is that the since the new one is "new"...could have some issues, I've seen a few creep up on people the last few days but nothing that I saw that was major enough.

2. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

If I were in your situation, I'd go for the newer system: the Iris Graphics, TB2, faster PCIe SSD, and Haswell chip all add up to make a pretty compelling case.

My opinion regarding most of the issues people have been reporting is that they sound like they are hopefully related to how new Mavericks is, and should all be resolved with the first patch or two to the new OS.

3. Laco macrumors 6502

I would certainly exchange it. You are getting a significantly better machine for only $50 more. Absolutely worth it, in my opinion.

4. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Go for the new system. It's like night and day.

No, literally.

The screen is brighter. Significantly brighter. I couldn't STAND the previous rMBP because of how dim they were.

5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

6. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I would exchange. Where did you buy? Talk to a manager sometimes they will not charge the fee :)

7. jmthigpen macrumors regular

Yep, do it, new system, new hardware. You'll regret it otherwise.

8. stayley macrumors member

Seriously? I haven't seen the previous rMBP (I'm new to Apple, well apart from researching the MBAs for the last six months :) ), but the haswell one I thoroughly checked out yesterday was really dim on full brightness especially compared to the MBA.

OP, if you like the rMBP do the switch. I was choosing between the MBA and the haswell rMBP and went with the MBA because of the form factor and the battery. If I were you I'd definitely go for the new rMBP though.

9. PicardsDome macrumors newbie

Did you buy it an an Apple Store? They don't charge a restocking fee anymore.

10. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

What about buying the new one on the same store? They may give you the new one without the re-stocking fee

11. Benjamin99 thread starter macrumors member

I bought it from Fry's, and its about an hour away - we only go there when we visit some friends (in the vicinity) so I was kinda hoping to get talked out of it ("don't do it, the new haswell sucks!") so that I don't have to break the news to my wife that we will have an hour or so to stop off in Fry's this weekend :confused: which means I get to hold her purse in one of her stores while she tries on clothes as a trade-off...decisions....

Very compelling arguments here, figure i'll man up and do it.

12. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

As a woman, even I have to ask: why do you have to explain every movement to your wife? It's 1hr away, not 500 miles. Maybe you should give up the macbook and ask your wife for your balls back. LOL

13. Benjamin99 thread starter macrumors member

LOL I was just trying to interject a little humor, I'll most likely just get a "sigh" and "a look". As a woman, I'm sure you know what I mean by that ;)

I appreciate everyone's input!

14. Benjamin99 thread starter macrumors member

Well just reviewed the specs again and I was a little off. It will actually be a downgrade on the processor speed based on what they sell. I would be downgrading from the 2.6 that I have to a 2.4. I'm still thinking it is a better upgrade as a whole, but was shocked I missed that earlier.... To upgrade to the 2.6, I would have to get the one w/ the 512gb sad which is $300 more and I don't really need that much storage.

15. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

2.4GHz > 2.6GHz

Don't they teach you math at school? :D

Seriously though, you're making the most common mistake that most people make here. Clock speeds don't mean anything. In fact, that 2.4 GHz is about 5% faster than the 2.6.

The new Haswell chips run at a much lower frequency but are faster overall.

Here's some benchmark results.

http://www.primatelabs.com/images/blog/2013/retina-13-sc-performance.png

You can see that the 2.4 is faster than the early 2013's 2.6.

In fact, you can see just how the Air's 1.7GHz processor is better than the 2.9 GHz one.

16. Benjamin99 thread starter macrumors member

This does not shock me lol. I was actually just looking at some benchmarks that corroborate that before I saw your post. My mind is made up! Thanks!

17. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

No problem! :)

You'll like the new one much better. PCIe SSD, and much better graphics!

18. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

I've had Fry's wave the 15% laptop restocking fee for me before. Worth a shot to give it a try...

19. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

That's cool :D

20. Scott7975 macrumors 6502

New architecture allows cpus to operate more efficient at lower clock speeds. It is not a down grade =)

21. zOlid macrumors regular

zOlid

Swap it out for SURE.
    The resell value of the Haswell modell will be WAAY much higher.
    And the difference in graphics performance is HUGE.