Even with Arnold, two public California universities make high grades

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jun 23, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

While none of our public universities in Arnold's California are on the level or ranking of a Harvard or Yale, two made high scores on the 1st tier of national universities at www.usnews.com.

With the California financial crisis, especially in education, Cal Berkeley is still ranked #21 in the nation and University of California, Los Angeles is #24. This is good news even with all the cutbacks Arnold has made in education.

That being said, I have looked at these rankings and at one time, Berkeley was usually a top #10 school in most surveys as an undergraduate institution, but this was when we didn't have such an anti-education governor such as Arnold.

I will be so glad when he leaves office in Sacramento. Good riddance.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Surprisingly low tuition too compared to the rest of the field. Not sure exactly what Arnold has done to destroy colleges though.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

In the local California media, the left uses this as a rallying cry against Arnold. Arnold maintains he strongly believes in a public education system and early on said he would not make cuts. I suspect the truth is somewhere between these polarities.

Though I am a liberal, I have enough sense to know that California had some pretty big financial woes when Arnold took office. It is very possible he had to make serious cutbacks in education.

Remember George H.W. Bush? "Read my lips, no new taxes!" At the time, when he put on new taxes, it seemed like political suicide and hypocrisy on the part of the President. Looking back on it, I think the liberal spin machine took this discrepancy and ran with it.

Back in 1992, I thought George H.W. Bush was the worst President in modern times, but our current President and the former one who left the White House are both suffering low performance ratings. I did have higher hopes for Obama and I thought he would be a take charge guy like a Clinton or a Reagan, but so far, this has not appeared to be the case.

While Clinton and Reagan came out hitting the ground running, they did come up upon some snags in their second terms. Clinton had the Lewinsky scandal to fight during a lot of his second term and a hostile Congress and Reagan had to contend with both Iran-Contra and Mr. Tip O'Neil, a one-man Congress. ;)