Eventually use an iMac as both a slave DAW and an external monitor?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Ravich, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

Hey everyone. I am wondering what kind of expenses/hardware this sort of setup might take. I am trying to stop myself from waiting any longer on getting myself a new machine (my mid 2008 MBP just isnt cutting it), and I am looking at the possibility of an iMac instead of paying for a 2009 Mac Pro.

While an iMac is certainly lacking in the important area of HDD expansion, I am wondering what it would take to have my iMac eventually set up as a slave in addition to serving as the monitor to a future mac pro, as this would make the purchase of a current i7 iMac and then installing an additional HDD myself much more logical.

I have done some reading on networking, but I am still unclear on the ideal method of getting audio back from slave and whether an iMac would be capable of that or what limiting factors might be.

2. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just going to assume that this isnt a possibility due to the lack of PCI expansion for iMacs. I havent gotten responses to this question anywhere I've asked, but based on what I've been able to find out, it isnt an option with just FW800.

3. qbradley macrumors newbie

what are the specs of the iMac and what specific tasks would the slave DAW perform? there are a few different ways to approach this.

As far as the iMac as a second monitor, there is software that can send the video signal on one machine over a gigabit network and have another machine serve as a 2nd monitor. I've seen it in the PC world and I believe this is what is out there for macs:
    http://www.screenrecycler.com/ScreenRecycler.html

hope this helps!

4. Jess21 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the helpful info on Screenrecycler. This might be just what I need to make use of my hardly used iMac screen.

Jess

5. joelbrandon macrumors newbie

Hi all - not sure if this thread is still open but I am trying to do a similar thing. I am trying to slave an iMac Intel 2.16 (Late 2006) to an iMac 27in (Sept 2010), and also use the old iMac as a secondary display. I see that Screen Recycler does the trick for the display, but how do you slave an iMac to an iMac? I want to do this primarily for Logic 9 usage for film scoring, with loads of samples (luckily I have 16 GB RAM in the 27in iMac).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peace

- Joel