Ever seen this site before? (Conservapedia)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by gauchogolfer, May 26, 2007.

1. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Wow, just....wow.

Has anyone seen this site before, or am I just woefully behind the times?

Conservapedia

" A conservative encyclopedia you can trust"

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well there's a huge self-contradiction right there.

That isn't -- can't -- be associated with Wikipedia, can it? If not, the Wiki folks should sue for stealing their design, which makes it look like they're related.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It uses the Wiki *technology* -- which is open source, and the licensing of which does not permit them to cherry pick which sites are okay to use it. It isn't related to the Wikipedia project in any other way than that they use the same technology and have some conceptual similarities. Note that Wikipedia is not the first site on the internet using the wiki technology.

5. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

I just vomited in my mouth a little.

Can anyone say revisionist history?

6. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

All history written by a human is inherently biased and, as you put it, "revisionist"...

7. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Indeed so. Makes you really question what is true and what is fake. But that's another topic for another day.

8. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Why?

10. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I've looked through some of the articles and they don't even to try to hide their bias. I have been a supporter of wikipedia since before it became mainstream. I like how the admins there attempt to maintain a neutral POV for the site. Yes I agree that all history is revisionist, but I think conservapedia goes beyond anything acceptable.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This concept is often peddled by people who prefer to ignore the truth when it doesn't suit their agenda. Such things as facts do exist. Revisionist history is not simply a matter of bias -- it is the use of counterfactual arguments to support an ideological position.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Pretty pathetic effort. Flipping through random articles, there's almost nothing there:

"Benin is a small country in West Africa, formerly known as Dahomey. It has land borders with Togo, Burkina Faso, Niger and Nigeria. The capital of Benin is Porto Novo."

"Steve Irwin is famous for his work with animals and for his show on The Discovery Channel.

In 2006, Steve Irwin was killed while filming a documentary when he was stung in the chest by a sting ray barb[1]."

Even political entries are weak:

The Great Leap Forward:

"Program instituted by Chinese dictator Mao Zedong from 1958 to 1961 to nationalize industry and agriculture. This included collectivizing farmland and peasants being forced to produce steel in backyard furnaces to raise China's steel output, as well as an absurd campaign to exterminate pests, which unbalanced the ecosystem. The whole ill-conceived venture resulted in widespread famine, economic disaster and what modern Chinese history refers to as Three Years of Disasters. The Communist inspired democide resulted in the deaths of approximately 30 million people."

"In economics, stagnation is a long period of slow economic growth."

Law:

"A code of rules that all people in a certain society must follow."

13. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

It's interesting, too. Just doing a quick search for, say, Bill Clinton serves up a long and extensive article mainly outlining scandals during his presidency. Searching George W. Bush serves up, well, a short article outlining him and his courageous foreign policy efforts.

Neato.

The phrasing throughout a number of these articles proves that this is -- with name-calling intact -- "A [FOX News type] Conservative encyclopedia," but certainly not one that "you can trust."

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

How dare you miloblithe! Alternate conservative views are just as valid as yours. You no right to force your hard-left biased liberal 'factual truths' on anyone.

Bonus points! - Guess which entry exists and isn't locked to prevent its creation;
    [a] Sex
    Intercourse
    [c] Condoms
    [d] Abstinence.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Dammit, you have to register to vandalize make necessary, helpful improvements to it it :D

16. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Conservapedia is no more biased than say, Rolling Stone, right?

Oh, and for the record, I think that this site is garbage. Politics aside, the quality of the articles is incredibly poor.

17. gauchogolfer thread starter macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I guess the point is that, why do you even need a 'conservative' encyclopedia?

Isn't the whole point of an encyclopedia to be a repository of factual information, not some politically-slanted interpretation of those same facts?

Rolling Stone isn't exactly espousing itself as a reference guide...

18. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

To allow people who desire to read articles on history, current affairs, etc. written with a stated conservative bias to do so.

19. aquajet macrumors 68020

And there's nothing wrong with that. But this isn't remotely encyclopedic now is it?

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If that's what they want, maybe they'd be better off reading National Review.

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

"Works of encyclopedic scope aim to convey the important accumulated knowledge for their subject domain. Works vary in the breadth of material and the depth of discussion, depending on the target audience." -- Wikipedia entry on encyclopedias

Pish-posh :p

22. aquajet macrumors 68020

And your point is? I only have to direct you to milo's post above for just a few examples of why "encyclopedia" is not a fitting term for this particular "source".

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree. Why don't we just be honest and call it for what it is: propaganda.

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I stand corrected. Though I think the casual user of Wiki (of which I guess I'm one), not knowing that, would assume that anything similar would contain similarly factual (as opposed to propagandistic) information. Which brings us to...

That's probably the best post in the whole topic. Gets right to the point. If we grant that Wiki is as factual and neutral as reasonably possible, then what does that say about Conservapedia?

I'm sure their argument is the same as that of Faux News: everyone else out there is biased; only we tell you the truth.

25. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD IS INHERENTLY BIASED BY HUMANS!!!!

Science, History, everything.....

Its a fact of live and cannot be used to solely discredit a work. A viewpoint not based on facts is a could way to discredit a work. A bias? Not so much.

So I agree with ham_man that bias does not entail immediate ineptitude.