Ever wish you didn't get rid of a computer of the past?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by NickZac, Dec 24, 2010.

1. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I was thinking about that today. I've had a lot of laptops I've HATED and was relieved to replace, but my first laptop, which had a 'realistic' combination of portability and capability, was one of my favorites. It was a Dell Inspiron 3700; this is a late 90's computer. It has a PIII @ 500MHz, 128Mb SDRAM (@ 100MHz clock speed), 8MB ATI video card, 10GB hard drive, 14.1 inch TFT Active Matrix (1024x768), Windows 98 SE, a 24/8x CD AND DVD burner, lith-ion batteries (capable of running 2), did not have a built in floppy drive, had a boat load of ports (yet only 1 USB) and weighed a not so heavy at the time 6.5 pounds. Oh yeah, and it costs over $4,500, but at the time, it was far ahead of other computers and was one of the best reviewed at the time. This is when Dell was rather small BTW.

Check it!
    [​IMG]

It was revolutionary in that it did not have a built in phone modem and instead used a built in 10/100 network card. It was also one of the first computers to look 'modern' and to be designed to be 'pretty' (Apple was the only other at the time actually). It was Dell's first touch-pad, which they did a surprisingly good job with, but it also had the pointer stick. It was also their first multi-color customized computer. It's sound was impressive and to date was the best sound system I've ever had on a laptop. That thing was a tank and it got me through all of high school and a year of college before I upgraded (well...errrr) to another Dell. I got rid of it a few years later and looking back I really regret it. That computer was so awesome and if I had it, I'd mount it on the wall or use it as a weapon against home intruders. I've considered trying to find one, but everyone wants $200 or more for it!!!!!!! Come on, its almost a decade and a half old!

Anyone else got any good computer/electronic attachment stories?

2. Eldiablojoe, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010

Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Ahhh, would be nice to have my old TI-99. The setup looked like this, complete with data recorder and voice synthesizer. Only thing missing from the photo is the modulator-demodulator cradle for the telephone (you kids will know this as a Mo-Dem: a modem). The TI-99's modem was a whopping 300 Baud speed. Blazing!!

[​IMG]

3. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Definitely my first laptop (got it when I was 6), my grandma gave it to me as a Christmas present and when she bought me a new laptop she took my old IBM laptop and gave it away.

Next would be my first Mac, I sold it to an ex-girlfriend. Hopefully she'll sell it back to me when she's done with it.

4. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-gb; GT-P1000 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

My wife hated me for getting rid of our old iBook G4 when I got a new PC.

She really loved that machine and I did miss it when it went.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My original Mac SE.

It was stored at a friends place in the US. It was accidentally thrown out when they moved to their new home.

6. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Sometimes I regret selling my 12" iBook G4. But the netbook I replaced it with eases the pain a lot. :p

7. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I regret selling my first MB, which I bought in 06 or 07, can't remember.

Not so much the machine that I miss, but more the fact of having an OSX machine that I can take anywhere.

8. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I still have mine (Ti994a)

9. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

My first computer was a CTL 25mhz 368DX full AT tower with a turbo button. The power supply took a **** on it about a year and a half later and I just scrapped it out. I didn't really think anything of it at the time because I had several other newer computers, but now thinking back I have very fond memories about it.

My first laptop was a Dell Latitude, with a whopping Pentium 133mhz and 16MB of RAM. It must have been nearly 2.5" thick and was one of the first to have a lithium ion battery. I still have the 3.5" floppy drive that was swappable with the CD-ROM. Unfortunately it was stolen and never recovered.

10. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Everytime I have upgraded it has been for a good reason. However the one computer I would like to have kept is the cube 450 I owned. I don't even care if it would work, just looks cool.

11. datamonger128 macrumors regular

datamonger128

I really wish I would have never gotten rid of my first MacBook. It was a black mid-2007 MacBook with a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, and GMA950 graphics. I never once had a single problem with this computer. Too bad my stupid self had to trade it for a Compaq so I could play more games. I paid $1000 for it during CompUSA's fire sale in February 2008.

12. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I regret I sold a Ti PB 15" several years ago because I simply had too many Macs at that time. I liked the Ti's design and it was not that difficult to replace a hard drive for that model. With a larger hard drive, I could've kept it as a juke box to listen to Internet radio, podcast, or music.

13. NickZac thread starter macrumors 68000

NickZac

mMMMM. In high school I always wanted a TiBook but they were friggin expensive. That is one added to my to-display list...preferably one with a working hinge tho

14. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

My first computer was a C64. I gave it to my nephew when I bought my first Mac, the Classic. I gave that to my niece when I got a used IIsi from a friend.

I miss those first ones. Lots of good memories.