Ever witnessed Animal Cruelty ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Leareth, Mar 16, 2010.

?

Have you ever witnessed an act of animal cruelty ?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I am doing a quick poll to see roughly what percentage of people have ever witnessed in real life with their own senses , animal cruelty. No friend of a friend told me type of stuff please.

I am trying to see if this can be a viable research avenue for a undergraduate honors students topic, but in my case my circle of friends and acquaintances are slightly biased since we all work in law enforcement type careers.

So a simple yes/no poll
    if you answered yes can you briefly describe the circumstances ( no graphic details please !)

Please VOTE , even if you do not comment.

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Yes

Several times; working in the line of work that I do, I have seen several instances of animal abuse from neglect to dog fighting to leaving the animal in the car during a 110 degree day.

Neglect: Numerous cats and dogs who have had no food or water for several weeks. Several dead animals inside the location. Fecal and urine matter all of the place

Dog fighting: End results of the dog fighting. Have not seen dog fighting sport, but the end result of the animals injuries and sometimes death.

Owners leave the house and move but leave the animals behind. Receive a call of dog barking etc. No food or water for weeks.

Dog in car: Have seen this on several occasions.

Is this the type of animal abuse you are looking for?

You could also go down to your local spca or animal shelter and talk to those workers also.

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

How is dog in car animal abuse? I mean yeah, windows shut in the blistering heat, but how is leaving it in the car when going grocery shopping for example animal cruelty?

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

It's an okay avenue for an undergrad, I suppose. What class is this for? Is it major specific or is it just a required class? Regardless you said honors.

See the problem actually does lie, in a way, in the avenue. What ages of people are actually being polled here? Demographics? Are we from areas where animals are well treated or do we live in neighborhoods known for animal abuse?

There are a lot of factors. If a simple: "After polling people on an online forum, whose main topic is Apple products, the results (on a yes or no basis) of people who have witnessed Animal abuse..." will work then sure, go for it.

I guess the other thing is what exactly constitutes animal abuse for your poll question.

---

Um... maybe the fact that the WINDOWS ARE SHUT IN BLISTERING HEAT... you answered your own question.

5. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I have only witnessed leaving the animal in a car. I have never witnessed anything other than that thankfully.
    why

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Given the prevalence of people abuse and the rate at which we witness assaults, even if minor, I think it'd be more or less a foregone conclusion that the vast majority of the population has witnessed animal cruelty. A better question would be for how many people the abuse actually registered.

7. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

It is not a research topic for me. But rather a undergrad honor student.

I am surrounded by people who work in this area
    so to get a less biased opinion I am asking macrumors members
    the result of the poll will NOT be used for any papers. is just a rough idea.

basically the student would look at how social factors determine a persons definition of what is animal cruelty, and one of the questions they have is
    " have you ever witnessed animal cruelty , if yes describe it" , to me that was a :confused: question since everyone I talk to HAS, based on their own definitions as well as legal definitions of what is animal cruelty.

on side note - interesting that seeing an animal in car on hot day is not considered an act of cruelty...

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Oh, got it.

IMO it is.

9. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Except usually the dogs aren't in there for a long time and it's not 100 degrees in there. Plus, usually owners crack the windows.

10. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Well here in Texas.. it is blistering heat most of the time. Plus I guess it depends on how you see an animal. Yes, windows down in a controlled and cool condition would be acceptable.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have seen a dog being kicked. I have also seen a dog being ignored. I called the SPCA on both counts and the owners lost both of the dogs who have thankfully gone to better homes.

12. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Which is what I meant, if the owner cracked the windows to allow air to flow it isn't animal cruelty. Dogs love car trips. Trips like grocery shopping isn't going to hurt it. Two hour shopping sprees, maybe. ;)

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

14. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

by the same token
    having windows open in middle of winter in a cold part of the country ( below freezing) , can be equally cruel.

I am finding it interesting already how people are debating what is and isnt cruelty.

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I've seen deer hunters killing and slicing up deer, but I don't consider that animal cruelty even though I'd never go hunting.

I've seen, via television, soon to be dead chickens being kicked and "abused" but again, others wouldn't consider that abuse.

Yet again, I've been to my fair share of rodeos where calves and bulls are hog-tied and then let go. Again, I wouldn't consider that abuse.

Now, if the same thing were to happen to a person, it'd be abuse straight up.

16. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Did you see what I posted... it was 110 degrees. And thank you for saying USUALLY. Because we all know the windows are always cracked. If you don't think it is animal cruelty. Put on nice thick, warm winter jacket. Get in the car, lock the doors, roll up the windows and make sure you don't have any water. Then sit in the car for say 30 minutes. And yes please make sure you are in direct sunlight and it is a nice 95 degrees outside.

And you have never ever gotten into a car say when it is 110 degrees outside and it was not just as hot if not hotter inside the car? Is that what you are saying?

17. Leareth thread starter macrumors 68000

Leareth

and that is EXACTLY the type of questions the student is planning on addressing.

How social factors play a role in defining a supposedly legal concept.

18. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Gotcha. I think I misinterpreted your post in a previous quote, ignore it. I know that when I drive from Houston to West Texas or even New Mexico and take my dogs, I'll leave them in the car while I run in to use the restroom, get gas or get a snack etc... I usually leave the car running if it is hot out (or cold, as it gets in some winters out there), otherwise I crack the windows.

Some signs of animal cruelty IMO are:

Kicking/Severely hitting animals
    Starvation
    Living in their own filth
    Dirty water
    Fighting them
    Left out in extreme weather conditions (blizzard, heat wave) without proper amenities (dog house/lots of water/blankets for example).

That is just a basic list.

Just to add because of a previous post: I am a huge supporter of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.

19. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

No, actually, I didn't. I read quagmire and renewed's post then responded. I know very well that being in 110 degree weather is not fun and being forced into it is cruel. If it's not hot and you crack the windows then it's not cruelty.

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Point taken....

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Really?

23. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I think i heard somewhere they could be quite cruel to those dogs if they don't perform up to snuff.

24. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Most of what I've seen is neglect of injury and illness: dogs with large tumors, sores, or limping badly. Sometimes I think the owners are callous -- other times they may not be able to afford medical treatment.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Fortunately, I have not seen any animal cruelty.