Evergreen college institutes white absence day

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, May 27, 2017.

1. Zombie Acorn, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017

Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.was...sts-at-evergreen-state-university-washington/

A professor (progressive left) is being asked to stay off campus for his own safety as he was deemed racist for not participating in a white absence day. Videos were taken of students asking for him to be fired and getting violent. The president is actually contemplating their list of demands instead of expelling every single one of them.

How does the idea of white day of absence even get passed the drawing board without someone getting kicked off campus permanently?

2. unlinked macrumors 6502a

The thing about modern american liberalism is that no matter how liberal you are after a few years you are considered a racist bigot as liberals queue up to out liberal each other.

3. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Absolutely amazing. Words fail me.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

In the first place, the article -- despite being from the Washington Post -- is rather muddy, explaining the reaction to the circumstances first, and then the circumstances. But once I got through that, I kind of have to agree with Weinstein. And frankly, I find the whole exercise to be a little dumb.

Of course, we have to use this as some kind of negative example of what progressives all over are like. :rolleyes:

But if we're going to talk about the issue at all, let's at least name it correctly. It's Day of Absence, not Abstinence.

5. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This isn't a statement of all liberals doing this, it's showing that even liberals are being consumed by the craziness.

Imagine whites calling for a black day of absence, and forcing blacks off campus. There wouldn't be a second of hesitation before the hammer dropped.

Not sure where I came up with abstinence I'll try to edit.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think we can all agree liberals can be crazy as well.

Are you observing Ramadan? :p

7. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

First off this is not a general characteristic of liberalism, so don't try to argue this as a wholesale inditement. From what I read in the article, the idea is more related to race relations, but I don't understand the significance. In the name of improving race relations, if this is what it's about, it's your choice, a bad idea or stupid, serving no legitimate goal as far as I can see unless someone can better explain it. You don't improve race relations by symbolically segregating people, even if it is just for a day as if it's intended to be an acknowledgement of wrong doing by an entire race? I don't get it.

The Washington Times (Bradford Richardson) reports that part of the hostility toward Weinstein also seems to stem from his objection to a “Day of Absence” “in which white people were invited to leave campus for a day”; see also Heat Street (Lukas Mikelionis). Here is Weinstein’s email objecting to the proposed day-long ejection of whites, as reproduced by Heat Street

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The fact that the chief of police had to tell this guy he wasn't safe on campus is astounding to me.

"Agree with us or we will harm you". Did ISIS take over Evergreen College?

9. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Freudian slip. Admitting you have a problem....

Edit damn smiley won't attach

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Wow, heaven forbid people actually be educated in the classes they've been enrolled in and are paying for. The concept of "Day of Absence" is a bit backwards to me since in the real world people must harmonize with one another on a daily basis.

In the video students are completely unreasonable in terms of having a discussion. Maybe we need to teach students how to hold in-person discussions.

11. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Iirc from articles I saw about this, white staff and teachers are not supposed to be present either for that day.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Yes, so therefore the racial minority students probably won't have any classes with their white professors.

13. Altis macrumors 68020

"Progressivism" is illiberal, plain and simple.

Sadly, this is the norm these days, it's just severely under-reported by the media.

"Progressivism" divides everyone by their physical attributes and pits them against each other. It thrives on the racism it creates through collectivism and delusional narratives.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(looks around at the other progressives in the forum)

Did you guys know we're supposed to be doing this?

(sees a lot of shaking heads)

Me either.

15. Altis macrumors 68020

You should help address the large number of people who identify as "progressive" that push for this stuff then, just as I have to with people who call themselves "liberal" as I do but advocate for illiberal policies and support discrimination.

On campus, this is entirely what "progressives" are -- and very authoritarian. It's becoming a mess.

16. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

"Where are the moderate progressives?!"

I'm liberal and a college student. But I'm also white. And this brand of anti-white racism masquerading as "progressivism" baffles me to no end. It's interesting to see college students turn into racists and fascists, the very people they claim to condemn. It's also somewhat entertaining to see the younger generation become too "extreme" for the older generation, which seems to be the cycle of history.

I don't really have much to say on this other than "don't give into threats of violence". This story seems to hardly exist outside of right-wing sites. If there's a showdown, it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

17. unlinked macrumors 6502a

What makes you think they are pretending as opposed to this is what modern anglo liberalism is or is becoming? A few people might tut tut but are there elected democrats that would react as strongly as this to attempted racial segregation?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...stival-prohibits-white-people-banned-nyansapo

18. smallcoffee, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Fareed Zakaria on CNN addressed a disturbing trend on college campus as students protested people like Pence during commencement speech. The gist of what he said is that recently liberalism has become freedom of anything except divergence of thought. This little idiot outburst at Evergreen is a manifestation of that. Anybody that isn't at the forefront of condemning the current "what are we outraged about today" becomes a "racist", "fascist", or "Nazi", despite the opposite being true. These kids need a class in what liberty, fraternity, and equality are all about.

19. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I think these kids could benefit from a good ol fashion blanket party.

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

21. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

How about a no black people or gays day? How would THAT go over? Hint: Not too good.

Un. Focking. Believable.

22. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

I didn't say they were pretending, but I'm not going to act like they're the new face of liberalism any more than I will act like white supremacy is the new face of conservatism.

23. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

Here is a link to the history of the Day of Absence:

http://evergreen.edu/multicultural/day-of-absence-day-of-presence

This is actually a pretty interesting event since the goal is to teach the students of both "types" (whites / non-whites) about the other perspective. Note that both groups ultimately come together at 6 PM for the screening in the same Lecture Hall.

Of importance is that the event allows you to choose where you want to go. I'm not sure when this became "whites stay on campus, everyone incl. faculty leaves campus" though.

The president should step in and reiterate the focus of this event, or outright ban it now that it has gotten a specific mentality attached to it.

What is happening right now is sort of an insult to the original concept of this event.

24. elistan macrumors 6502a

I've mentioned before that I hate labels like left, right, liberal, conservative, progressive, regressive... I have my personal beliefs, and I see actions being taken by both 'sides' that I disagree with. It's like the conflict has become the reason for the conflict, that is simply trying to hurt people one doesn't identify with, rather than trying to accomplish anything positive. And the labels are used as pejoratives, or to marginalized those who aren't interested in sides.

Saying that things like racism is either a liberal or a conservative tenet is bs.

25. dogslobber macrumors 68030

dogslobber

Colleges and universities are places to do academics. Why don't students go there any more to study academic subjects? It's not just this type of stuff but that BS about sports being more important to a college than academics. It disgusts me that somebody can get a college scholarship because they're good at some random sport but not that intelligent. No, ban it all and stick with academics only.