everlasting life question

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chris200x9, Nov 26, 2010.

1. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

As a Christian I believe in an ever lasting after life, but I've just come to the realization of how awful that would be. No matter how great the after life is, eternal existence sounds like a hell. As an example say we are coming up with a new year scheme...it's still 365 days 24 hours a day and so on, now imagine every second is 10 billion years. Also let's imagine you are about to start a race, but it's been 5 million new years and you are still waiting at the start line, you are waiting for a race that will NEVER start; you will never get closer to the end. That is basically what forever is, so no matter how great heaven is it will turn into an inescapable hell.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

At least it will probably take a few billion years for another thread like this to show up. That's something to look forward to.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Doesn't sound like a question. It sounds like you've thought about it a come to a conclusion.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

If you have come to the conclusion that what you were sold as "heaven" is actually likely to be "hell", are you going to try to get your money back?

5. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

this is the problem with human made religion it runs into human imagination limitations.

6. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

Don't forget that a loved one might end up in hell, so heaven wouldn't be so "heavenly" in that scenario (except for an incredibly selfish person).

7. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

no triple my money back :p

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

God will give you the same drug that makes Women forget about the pain of childbirth. Anyone with more than 1 kid knows how that works.

You will be fine, without anxiety, forever.

9. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It won't be like life on earth. Time won't exist.

10. chris200x9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea I heard that before, can you clarify that? If time doesn't exist there is no past for us to remember so how are we alive?

11. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It's beyond our comprehension. I personally don't really believe in an afterlife, but if there is one I imagine it like a central ball of energy. When you are born you split from it. When you die you return to it.

12. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I would suggest that it is pointless to speculate about the details, until the truth of that claim has first been established. Otherwise you will fall into what I like to call the "Children's Superhero Role-playing Discussion Syndrome". :p

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I think the human mind is fascinating. And that's what this is all about.

14. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I agree, and speculating about such things is very enjoyable, but at this point it would be a mere coincidence if anyone was right about it. There's just no way to know.

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I think I've made that exact point a couple of times in the past. I wouldn't mind a little extra time to make up for some earlier mistakes, but I'd choose nonexistence over eternity.

I think they covered this concept in Star Trek with the Q continuum.

16. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

First off stop assuming and believing everything your favorite religion has spoon fed you. I say this in all friendliness and good intentions.

You are framing your beliefs in human terms and existence. We know nothing about the after-life, what it entails, what it is like, even if it exists. If you believe in the possibility of the soul, there could be an existence completely unlike anything you could ever imagine and most importantly what your individual capacity will be to endure eternity if that is an option. Might as well stop worrying which accomplishes nothing, wait and be surprised if you still have the awareness to do so. :)

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Christianity is a story it doesn't always make sense.

No one ever asks about the reality behind Jack and the Beanstalk.

19. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Forever means that in a trillion years when the very last proton decays into quantum chaos, you've only just started your existence, surrounded by cold, black nothing throughout what would have once been called everywhere if that concept still had any meaning. Finally after countless immeasurable units of what would once have been called time, everything that ever happened is such a distant speck as to be a meaningless blip in your even more meaningless existence, until finally you question the very sanity of whether it ever happened at all.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Even better in 2001 - A Space Odyssey.

Quite the champion of reincarnation, as I saw it. ;)

21. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

The example you describe is absent of time...

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I would just take a nice nap.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

That doesn't sound too bad.

24. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Religions are based on fictional stories, so you probably don't have an eternal hell to look forward to anyway.