Everybody chalk Mohammed day...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Personally I think its pretty intolerant/ridiculous to do this as people are going out of their way to deliberately offend sunni muslims.

Its like going to a Hindu festival and eating a Big Mac, or finding a Jew and shouting god in their ear.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Personally I think its pretty intolerant/ridiculous to do this as people are going out of their way to deliberately offend sunni muslims.

Its like going to a Hindu festival and eating a Big Mac, or finding a Jew and shouting god in their ear.
Let me guess, you supported the death threats against the Jyllandsposten cartoonist, too?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

As offensive as threatening people for some light-hearted humor? Sorry- no comparison.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
fta said:
This is not to say the secular students are bigots seeking to cause offense, as some have suggested. In fact they see themselves as standing up for free speech and free intellectual inquiry. They hope increasing the number of potential targets will make extremists think twice before attacking. And they earnestly believe no person should be so revered that they can not be drawn or spoken - that such reverence is simply a bad idea.
It's more like "Don't take yourself so seriously."

CorvusCamenarum

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2004
Birmingham, AL

Or putting a crucifix in a glass of urine or whatever it was and calling it "art"?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I guess the message in the photo I posted is that Christianity is so hot and sexy that it needs to cool off in the pool.:D

All joking aside, I have no problem with Everybody chalk Mohammed day...

Islamic law/rules does not have jurisdiction over non-muslims' lives.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
The message being what the religious have done to their own religion- pissed on it and used it as a weapon, everything Jesus would have been against.
Yeah I don't mind it. I actually looked it up less than a week ago after hearing about it again on the radio. It's worth a fortune these days :).

Serrano should do a whole series of religious figures. Would fit in with your post....

I guess the message in the photo I posted is that Christianity is so hot and sexy that it needs to cool off in the pool.:D
Nothing sexier than someone being nailed to wood and slowly dying of blood loss and dehydration :D!

Burnsey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
In Muslim culture, there is a longstanding tradition that to put something on the ground, where people step on it, is “the ultimate diss," indicating “I hate you, you disgust me,” as I was told by Ingrid Mattson, president of the Islamic Society of North America

To this add the fact that after 9/11 hate crimes against Arabs, Muslims and “those perceived to be Muslim” increased 1,700 percent in the United States, according to a report by Human Rights Watch. Large numbers of innocent Muslims in the U.S. have been harmed or intimidated simply because they share a religious tradition with extremists. Can we reasonably suggest they not be reminded of this upon seeing their prophet, the most revered and admired person in their cultural tradition, underfoot?

Our country’s top military leaders are struggling to win the hearts and minds of Muslims worldwide. And many of the 1.57 billion Muslims are watching CNN and many other American networks to see what we think of them. If we think they are going to perceive this as a thoughtful exercise in critical thinking, we are in serious denial. To paraphrase one student I heard from, we should fight to the death for our right to chalk these images. But we should also have the dignity and respect not to do so.
Slippery slope IMO.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Or putting a crucifix in a glass of urine or whatever it was and calling it "art"?
I think the difference with that, and probably the Mohammad cartoons is that they have artistic value. Whereas a bunch of people drawing Mohammad to wind the sunni muslims up doesn't have artistic value.

Is this kosher?
Is that really offensive in the same way?

Slippery slope IMO.
Yep, its a difficult issue and there isn't that much of a clear cut line. However I completely agree with:

To paraphrase one student I heard from, we should fight to the death for our right to chalk these images. But we should also have the dignity and respect not to do so.