Everyone here, PLEASE watch this TED video

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Jul 17, 2019.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Everyone here, PLEASE watch this TED video (15 min)

I do not care what political or moral stance you have, this is not about that.
    The video is not about the people (mentally cross out names, call them Person 1, 2, etc), but how the people had connections to take advantage of social media.
    The genie is out of bottle, politicians from around the world and positions will use those same techniques for their own campaigns.

And remember, about 100 years ago there was another time when private media was used to influence public opinion. This is a new version of the same tactic. Facebook and its like is just the vehicle (the publisher), while nefarious sources are the content providers.

https://www.ted.com/talks/carole_ca..._to_democracy/transcript?language=en#t-904078

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

buy me nachos first...........
    here is the video

3. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

[​IMG]

Thanks for YT link

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

5. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

People know this, it’s also twitter.

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

So we're not allowed to use Facebook for propaganda? We get this sort of crap on TV, in print, on the radio - it's everywhere. What makes Facebook different?

7. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

They profile you and target you with lies and then fade away without a trace- unless Zuckerberg decides to come clean with this data and let people know the extent of what happened.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2019 ---
    Also, maybe watch the video before commenting.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I actually did watch the video, but thank you for your misguided advice.

My point stands - targeting ads isn't even anything new. Surely you've noticed that beer companies advertise on TV during sporting events, toys and breakfast cereals during children's cartoons, and for-profit tech schools late at night when the people who don't have to get up early and go to work are watching TV? This isn't really all that different.

As for whether the information is "lies" - if you've been believing all this time that politicians (or any other advertisers) are always honest, then I can't do much to change that, I'm afraid.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

What's the different between Zuckerberg passing some targeted info and the editorial board of a local newspaper passing some targeted info based on the readers' demographics?

10. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

It’s different and in a massive way. Tv ads target demographics, they don’t profile you and more importantly, they can’t privately target you based on you’re political views. Facebook ads we’re doing that. There is a record of when ads get aired on tv. Facebook has this information too but refuse to disclose it.
    Yes politicians lie, but lying on tv or in a press conference exposes them. Lying on someone’s Facebook page by proxy means that they are not held accountable.
    Shame I have to walk you through that.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's the second condescending remark you've made to me in this thread. Are you just naturally this sanctimonious, or do you work at it?

I am well aware of your point, mine is that I don't see targeted ads on Facebook as being any more problematic than targeting ads based on demographics. Not a surprise that I have to continue walking you through that.

12. Zenithal macrumors G3

You two take it to messages. God I want nachos now.

13. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Yeah, that was pretty much your first point. What’s a shame is that you can’t see the difference.