Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I can't believe that apple has dropped the ball so much recently and there has not been more said about this.

I have a 3GS and upgraded to ios 4 without issues. But everyone I know. Who upGraded their 3G hates it.. One guy is more of an apple fan boy than me and is so livid he seriously thinking of getting an android phone.

Can they downgrade to ios 3 ? What is apple doing to help these users??

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
What are his phone's problems exactly?

I have a 3G that I upgraded to iOS4 3 weeks ago. Overall, I am happy with it. No noticeable speed change. Not any more or less stable. But I like the folders and especially the combined inbox in mail.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Apple is becoming the new Microsoft, just a matter of time anyway.

Get more popular, alienate customers more and more.

They say they care, but they don't

njpodder

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
I also upgraded my 3G to iOS4 while I am awaiting my iPhone 4 to arrive, and so far, I have not had any problems with it other than a few minor slowdowns here and tehre that I will forgive for the sheer amount of positives that iOS4 brings to even the 3G.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
Same thing happened to my girlfriend, we reverted her back to 3.1.3. It also happened to a guy at work.

I have heard that if you disable spotlight, things work much better. It seems the phone has trouble keeping up with indexing which causes choppy performance.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Apparently a DFU restore speeds things up. I'm going to try that one mine before I give it to my sister when I get the iPhone 4 on Friday.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
My biggest probelms are with Maps and Safari...those are running noticeably slower on 4...to the tune of 25 seconds to load a page that previous loaded in 5. Or taking 30-45 seconds to be able to search for something within Maps.

It has extremely slowed my iPhone 3G....my wife has the same problems.

I'm not complaining. I knew the risks of upgrading an older 'machine' to a newer OS. Happened with my old iMac Sage. I wouls still be usuing it today but I wanted to benefits of the newer versions of OS X and you just can't do that with older, slower processors. I wouldn't say Apple has 'dropped the ball'

(I will try the spotlight deal though...hadn't heard that.)

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
+1

(I thought it would be an easy find within Settings, but I can't find it.)

Me neither. I see where you can turn off indexing for everything by un-checking categories, but I can still swipe and see Spotlight on the phone.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I can't believe that apple has dropped the ball so much recently and there has not been more said about this.

I have a 3GS and upgraded to ios 4 without issues. But everyone I know. Who upGraded their 3G hates it.. One guy is more of an apple fan boy than me and is so livid he seriously thinking of getting an android phone.

It is well known now that iOS 4 runs poorly on a 3G. I tried it for a few weeks and downgraded back to 3.1.3. I also had a 3GS and an iPhone 4 so compared to those two, the 3G was way too slow on 3.1.3. A few weeks ago, I upgraded that line to another 3GS, an 8GB that came with 4.0. No more 3G for me.

I'll still use my original iPhone. It's speed doesn't bother me as much as the 3G did for some reason.

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Me neither. I see where you can turn off indexing for everything by un-checking categories, but I can still swipe and see Spotlight on the phone.

I think the indexing is what we are talking about. Where is that located?

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada

yes you downgrade 3g anytime,no blobs need it,just use REDSN0W OR custom firmware in DFU mode.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Question - what are the options for those who don't have -- and will not -- jailbreak their phones. i.e. Technophobic friends who "don't want to break my(their) phone".

I have a friend whose laptop I'm finally going to be given a chance to fix in a few weeks. She hasn't synced her 3G in at least 9 months. I'm not even sure it even has iOS 3.x on it! I assume iTunes grabs the latest version, so how can we instead upgrade it to iOS 3.x instead of 4.x?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Question - what are the options for those who don't have -- and will not -- jailbreak their phones. i.e. Technophobic friends who "don't want to break my(their) phone".

I have a friend whose laptop I'm finally going to be given a chance to fix in a few weeks. She hasn't synced her 3G in at least 9 months. I'm not even sure it even has iOS 3.x on it! I assume iTunes grabs the latest version, so how can we instead upgrade it to iOS 3.x instead of 4.x?

iTunes will not update the phone if you don't want it too.

I'm not jailbroken and never will be. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.