Everyone realizes it's not gonna be $99 right? Guess how much the new Apple TV will cost?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Izauze, Jul 31, 2015.

?

So what's it gonna be?

1. $99. I'm in absolute denial.

94 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. $149. I'm cautiously optimistic.

104 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. $199. I'm a hard bitten realist.

49 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. > $200. C'mon, this is Apple we're talking about, isn't it?

28 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Izauze macrumors 6502

Months before Apple Watch came out, $199 was the most common figure being bandied about. As the day drew nearer, it inched up through $249, and then "$299 tops." Yet soon afterward, people were happily forking over $500 for an eighth of an iPhone strapped to their wrist.

So with Apple moving the TV out of the realm of "hobby," how much is this one going to run us?

2. EmaDaCuz macrumors regular

If they want to sell, nothing higher than $149. $99-$129 would be the sweet spot.

3. M@C macrumors member

4. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

It will be $99, but you will need to pay a monthly $10 to $20 sub to use any features other than the App Store .. as apple move to replace both EA and Microsoft as the most annoying anti consumer friendly company in the world.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

199-299$ would be my guess, as the AppleTV includes storage space and Apple likes to charge a major premium for it.

Also, the first AppleTV was 299$, so they've seen before that they can sell it at that price.

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah, but back then there was no competing Google Chromecast at $30, Amazon Fire TV-stick at $40, or Roku 1 at $50.

I think $99 is about as high as Apple dare go - unless it's a lot more than just a media streaming device.

They probably plan to make their money on the movie rentals.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's going to cost a lot more than the current :apple:TV if this member posting in the news thread sees his wish come true. :)

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

True, but they also serve a different segment, in that you can't store stuff on them (I believe?). Also, Apple usually doesn't care about the prices of their competitors.. :p

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Apple rarely changes prices, so I'm pretty sure if they want it to sell they will keep the same price point with adjustments to prices out of the US so they can keep their profit margins with changes in the exchange rate since the last release.

11. chrfr macrumors 603

Even $99 is more than a 40% increase over the current $69. There's too much competition in the market to be significantly higher than that.

12. oneMadRssn, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

These are the prices of the closest competitors, rounded up the nearest dollar:
    $100 - Amazon Fire TV
    $70
    - Google Nexus Player (discounted from $100 originally)
    $100 - Roku 3
    $70
    - Roku 2
    $70
    - Apple TV 3 (discounted from $100 originally)​

I think Apple would have to stay within the $70-$100 range in order to sell these. I doubt consumers would be willing to pay over $100. The only exception I can think of is gamers might be willing to pay more if it comes with a controller and some serious gaming capabilities. However, that isn't a very broad appeal. For broader appeal, the device will have the $100 or less.

While personally I would be willing to pay more than $100 if the device was capable of receiving OTA signals and recording them similar to a DVR, I also do not think such a value-added feature would have broad-enough appeal to warrant the extra hardware cost and price.

Thus, I expect it to be $100.

13. imanidiot, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015

imanidiot macrumors 6502a

No, everyone doesn't. It'll be $99, as it's been.

14. foobarbazqux macrumors regular

The current price. Their competition is $100 or less. I can maybe see them raising it back to $99 but I think even that's pushing it. It's still just a streaming box.

15. pinholestars macrumors member

pinholestars

My guess is $99 for the Apple TV and $$ for the new remote (sold separately).

16. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I think it will be $99 for the base model with 8gb like now or a little miore like 32gb. They may keep selling the ATV 3 with 8gb for $69. But like the iPhone and iPad you can get more local storage. Like 128gb for $199. The reason for multiple storage options is for Apps. And they make more profit on these higher storage options. If you have a large game you would want it stored locally. Since I do not play games I would not need that much storage. There may be other options for more storage.

17. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

If it doesn't offer 4K support then anything over 129$ will be absurd.

18. Beerstalker macrumors 6502

Assuming we are talking about a new Apple TV device that has built in storage, a game controller, and an app store I'm guessing $199, $299, $399 for 16GB, 64GB, and 128GB models. Same size/pricing as subsidized iPhones. It may or may not come with one game controller.

I could see them coming out with a separate AppleTV stick that has similar specs/features of the current AppleTV and selling it for $50 or less. It would just be for streaming of Apples new TV service, and iTunes movies/music and Airplay. It wouldn't be able to access the app store, be able to play games etc.

19. uwdude macrumors 6502a

Unless it has some breakthrough features that the other sticks and boxes don't have, I don't think they can get away with higher than $99. And no, I don't think an app store is enough of a difference to charge way more for the box. If it has an app store AND offers subscriptions to live television AND has gaming like with a controller, then yes maybe $200.

20. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I hope it will tune, stream, record, and sling. I'll pay up to 400 for that.

One box for the living room.

Build in an Airport Extreme, maybe time capsule...

21. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I voted $149 (16 GB).

22. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Apple has not and never will cater to gaming. Pretty safe to say the Apple TV won't change that stance.

23. GaryNoine macrumors member

GaryNoine

For the new Apple TV, I'm picturing a totally different device aimed at cord cutters. Ways to download all streaming apps from a unique streaming app store, of course full Apple Music access, iTunes etc, recording and cloud options, and much more. I'm envisioning something a lot more than a standard Chromecast or even the previous Apple TVs.

Apple is known for taking the standard and raising it to levels beyond belief. It's been so long since a big Apple TV change, I have full confidence in them to release something revolutionary. I too see the Apple TV stick in the future, perhaps $30 to compete with Google and others, with no remote and limited to AirPlay/'casting' from external devices.

That being said, if all our dreams come true and the new Apple TV is something totally different, new, and better, I could see a price increase. However if they don't do much to it, I don't see it selling at all.

24. tdale macrumors 65816

App store so you can use ONE box for all your streaming needs. That would be huge. Every SVOD has an iPad app, same should apply to the ATV as thats iOS as well

25. tdale macrumors 65816

Does their competition play every streaming service? No, neither does the ATV, but if it does, and we can use one box instead of various devices to cover the SVOD bases, a winner