Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
i am collecting findings to see if this is a widespread issue or if its just me

would appreciate other members testing this on their iphone 4s (i have white. at&T if that matters)

1.)
turn the screen off by pressing the top button. then leave ur phone alone for a couple minutes and press the home button so that the lock screen comes up. take note of the response time from when you press the home button and when the lock screen actually comes up.

2.)turn your screen off by pressing the top button. immediately afterward press the home button so that the lock screen comes up . again take note of the response time from when you press the home button and when the lock screen actually comes up.

do you notice a lag in response with the first method ? the second method for me yields a very fast response,but the first method the screen takes a bit longer to come up after pressing the home button...

anyone else?

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I've already exceeded the device testing quota for Apple lab rats

They got their pound of flesh and more outta me :eek:

AirSupply

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Absolutely no lag on mine

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago, IL
1.)turn the screen off by pressing the top button. then leave ur phone alone for a couple minutes and press the home button so that the lock screen comes up. take note of the response time from when you press the home button and when the lock screen actually comes up.

2.)turn your screen off by pressing the top button. immediately afterward press the home button so that the lock screen comes up . again take note of the response time from when you press the home button and when the lock screen actually comes up.

Put your right foot in, take you right foot out, you put your right foot in, and you shake it all about ..........

Now that's gonna be stuck in my head all night :)
(no lag for me either)

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW

would appreciate other members testing this on their iphone 4s (i have white. at&T if that matters)

1.)
turn the screen off by pressing the top button. then leave ur phone alone for a couple minutes and press the home button so that the lock screen comes up. take note of the response time from when you press the home button and when the lock screen actually comes up.

do you notice a lag in response with the first method ? the second method for me yields a very fast response,but the first method the screen takes a bit longer to come up after pressing the home button...

anyone else?

splitting some hairs here. really??

just enjoy your phone

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I think any "delay" attributed to waking your phone from pressing the home button while it's in sleep mode is a faulty home button.

bkb1777

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
WV
I have noticed the lag if you have triple push on for the home button. I have no lag on mine, but I noticed that with my iPhone 4

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I guess there is a slight lag but who cares. Does this warrant a replacement phone? Not in IMO. Just enjoy your phone and stop looking for problems.

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Put your right foot in, take you right foot out, you put your right foot in, and you shake it all about ..........

Now that's gonna be stuck in my head all night :)
(no lag for me either)

LMFAO

so this would be:

turnyourphoneoffwaitturnbackonthanturnphonebackonimmediately Gate

outie2k

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010

1.)

anyone else?
These are not separate "methods". The only difference is that you wait a bit longer before you press the home button for the #1. This is normal behavior because your phone went to sleep mode in #1 and the phone is in idle mode (not sleep yet) in #2. It takes a slight delay to wake up from sleep (as demonstrated in #1).

dffdce

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
Ok I'll play. Yep I have a delay in step 1. it's a fraction of a second however. In step 2 there is no perceptible delay.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Ok, I'll try it out too.

There is a slightly longer delay when brining the screen back up after it's sat here for a minute. However, please note, that we're talking about a delay in the range of .3 to .5 of a second. I'm fairly certain that this is because the iPhone is truly asleep, versus pushing the home button right away after hitting the top button.

No issue here..the phone is simply waking up and bringing it's systems back to life. Simply nothing more than battery management...

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
There is a fraction of a second difference. Does this mean my phone is broken and I have to return it???

J/K

:)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Why is it an "issue" if the phone is taking fractions of a second longer to wake if left to sleep for a minute, as opposed to immediate response when re-awakened immediately?

If it took say, a second or longer, or required multiple button presses to work, then that's a problem. In fact I remember my old iPhone 3G acting like that in the bad old days of OS 3.x.

Also: I tried it on my 4S. I don't notice any difference or lag. And it's much more responsive than my old iPhone 4.

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
My phone has been on my bed untouched for about an hour now and I just woke it up and noticed a little lag compared to trying it right after.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
This is normal behavior because your phone went to sleep mode in #1 and the phone is in idle mode (not sleep yet) in #2. It takes a slight delay to wake up from sleep (as demonstrated in #1).

if this is the case then shouldnt EVERYONE experience a delay?
why are the majority in this thread saying "nope no delay"

why does this sleep mode only affect my phone and a few others?

rosemary1

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
if this is the case then shouldnt EVERYONE experience a delay?
why are the majority in this thread saying "nope no delay"

why does this sleep mode only affect my phone and a few others?

Their phones probably weren't actually in "this sleep mode."

There's no conspiracy here, so just keep on using your phone. If it bothers you so much, return it and go Android.

loyalist

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I guess there is a slight lag but who cares. Does this warrant a replacement phone? Not in IMO. Just enjoy your phone and stop looking for problems.

+10000

I have a slight lag that's a fractional second. Am I going to sleep over it? Am I going to return it? NO.

BTW, thank you for wasting 5 minutes of my life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.