Everyone's mad, but in a couple of days, Apple will announce...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple.pseudofan, Jun 15, 2010.

1. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

That something like 1 million iPhone 4's were pre-ordered today, far beyond what they thought would happen, and FAR beyond the capacity of AT&T to process the orders.

I finally got mine today at 12:00 PDT, via AT&T Premier. I just hope it arrives on the 24th, as I am going out of town for the weekend starting Friday morning. I got the confirmation email, but my order status currently shows processing (which is an update from my previous status of 'order received') and I don't have any credit card charges yet.

Speaking of Fedex deliveries, does anyone know if there is any way to pick up an order from them (like on the 25th) if they don't get it to me on the 24th? I'm afraid of the attempted delivery of Friday and Saturday, then package disappears and I have no idea where it is.
    Probably worrying about nothing and I'll know more tomorrow once my order gets past the processing phase and they charge my credit card.

Anyone else think that there may be some crazy announcement in the upcoming days, showing a massive number of pre-orders and reservations?

The wife is ticked off though, because of the whole white ordeal. And she is committed to waiting it out. :(

2. smalls78 macrumors newbie

i'm pretty sure someone is supposed to sign for it upon delivery. OTW, I know my FEDEX location allows you to go to the facility to claim it after a specified time, should the initial delivery attempt fail.

3. AddingApple macrumors newbie

AddingApple

I've called in for a local pickup before so I'm thinking you could do that. Has to be picked up by the name it was shipped to and provide ID and the door tag.

4. nfl46 macrumors 604

Maybe Apple will make June 16, WHITE iPhone 4 pre-order day. That would be a shocker, Lol.

5. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

I highly doubt a million were sold today. I'd say a couple hundred thousand at most. But still, I'm sure no matter what, it'll be an impressive number.

The thing to remember here is that there's just a handful of websites that can even handle that much traffic, and it's a shock that the whole damn Apple site didn't go down this afternoon. I read threads where people had their iPads, iPhones, and multiple browsers open and refreshing the page trying to get through.

Today was like a hour glass... everyone is trying to funnel through at the same time, but only a couple can pass at once. And seriously, at the end of the day, it's a phone. Yes, an iPhone, but a phone none the less...

And remember, as of last week, you could just stroll on in to Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Apple Stores or the internet and pick up a 3GS. Give it a couple days or weeks, things will be back to normal, just in time for the next gen iPhone!

6. Jizzles macrumors regular

Ya previous activations of launch day iPhones will not come close to the disaster for iPhone 4's launch day. That's my prediction.

Oh and I'm jealous you were able to order through AT&T premier...I checked throughout the entire day and no option of iPhone 4 ever showed up. AT&T premier csr told me to go the local AT&T store.

7. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I've made my decision. I am holding out for the white one. I think it will be well worth waiting for, the white one looks so crisp and fresh compared to the boring old black look that iPhones have always had. I have a 2G iPhone now and I am hoping to get the White iPhone 4 right when it comes out!! Let's hope the wait is not too incredibly long, I was so upset today that both were not released on the same day.

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

MAKE NO MISTAKE: EVERYTHING WAS CALCULATED TO HAPPEN.

Call me a conspiracy theorist.

While Apple and AT&T knew there was going to be servers overloaded, they purposely took it in stride, not making any extra effort to resolve them, and likely taking down the sites on purpose throughout the day just to add insult to injury. Instead, they enjoyed casting out press releases to the media on how they were so overwhelmed with orders and how successful their sales were. It's a real dig at Google, Sprint, Android, Verizon, and everything mobile non-Apple, especially with the pathetic sales of the EVO 4G.

They knew that the white version was going to be a hot commodity. It was pulled at last minute and turned into a "limited edition" model that can only be picked up in stores for its initial launch. Just the thing to bring in more calculated chaos in the retail stores on launch day.

The result: Looks good in the media. Looks great for the shareholders. Looks grim for their competitors.

It's high time that people start looking at things from different angles and perspectives. Like how Macy's normally prices things at 10% off, but to go on sale, they put back the MSRP and say it's 30% when it's really just 15%, or something to that effect. NJ Transit announced they were going to raise their fares by 25% and everyone was in an uproar. They came back and said they were going to work it out and raise it only by 10% and everyone was more pleased. No one realized it was a mind game - they were going to raise it originally by 10% anyway, which of course now turns out to be totally acceptable to the public.

9. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

I did have multiple computers around me to get through to Apple.com as early as 1:30 AM PDT. And they did go down shortly after that while the AT&T site stayed alive. ;)

10. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

Technically, it's a phone, an iPod, and a revolutionary internet communications device. :D

11. bayourock macrumors member

It really isn't a Conspiracy.... It's all just a Marketing ploy.... Apple wants you to think that your special for being able to own one of their devices, while the whole time having everyone own one.... Funny isn't it....lol

I am glad I am special enough to own a iPhone, iPad and soon enough a new iPhone 4..... lol

12. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

Maybe. Maybe not. I see what you're getting at, but to PURPOSELY let your sites go down and get consumers frustrated? I don't see how that's good business sense.

Ultimately, in the best of ideals, EVERYONE who wanted to pre-order today would have been able to, and those people would be getting their phones on the 24th. But you have hundreds, maybe thousands, of customers upset at both companies for wasting their time today. THAT isn't good business, even if it makes it seem like the demand outweighed the supply (which it did, but still)

As far as the white iPhone goes, you have people who THOUGHT they were getting one (from Best Buy) only to be told that A: They aren't, and B: Sorry you drove here from who knows where to pre-order it under the assumption you could.

THAT doesn't make Best Buy look good. Not to mention that Radioshack couldn't guarantee they'd have any phones AT ALL on launch day, when they've been making a stink about it all week long on Twitter?

If anything, today's frustration sent many people running into the arms of these companies competitors. Which. Again. Bad business.

I'm all for conspiracies, but sometimes, crap hits the fan and that's all it is, nothing more, nothing less.

13. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

Okay! Well... uh... AT&T's servers which house customer data couldn't handle the load then? Their websites must be run from somewhere else! :D

14. bayourock macrumors member

This thought does make the most sense when it comes to thinking this is Conspiracy....

15. mike1123 macrumors 6502

mike1123

If you can end up only getting a white iPhone 4 by walking in on launch day, I'm gonna be pretty upset. Since I'm not the primary account holder, the Apple Store won't let me buy one without my father there. There is no way he's waiting overnight with me if I choose to do so. Unless hell freezes over. Damn.

16. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
    You're a conspiracy theorist. If I was a company I'd rather sell as many phones as possible. I think boasting about the number of phones you sell is more of a blow to competitors than saying 'our servers couldn't handle the load.'

But then again, I'm not a company =[

17. JustinP81 macrumors 6502

Well, you could wait overnight and have him meet you there in the morning. I mean, I'm sure your old man is a reasonable dude. Just bring some friends with you to pass the time and keep everyone safe.

18. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Kinda like how the AT&T store manager knew exactly how many iPhones were in stock in his store that day, knew it was one per customer, but allowed three times as many people to line up. Looks good on him and his store, doesn't it? And those people who got screwed when they acted surprised and said they were sold out, they either had to give up or jump on the back of an even-longer Apple line after waiting so long on the AT&T line, not knowing if they'll sell out, too.

They already know that the audience will be there, no matter what. It's always good to look like it's so awesome, they've overwhelmed themselves.

Why do you think it was so important for Sprint to say (and ultimately lie) that their EVO 4G sales were through the roof and sold out everywhere? To create demand that wasn't really there.

A good friend who got a job at a local Sprint store I visited hinted to me they will have about 20 in stock on their launch day. TWENTY? There's no HTC store, no Google store, so Sprint was the only choice to go to, and a flagship store in a large-scale metropolitan mall will have just twenty?! Think about it - for someone not in the know or near that location, it'll be easy for them to say, "we've sold out in just under an hour!"

Call it conspiracy, call it marketing. I still call it underhanded.

19. apple.pseudofan thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I wasn't too far off

Imagine if everyone who had wanted one would have got through. Would have easily hit 1 million. Regardless, demand was 1000% of the 3GS pre-orders. Kinda difficult to plan for.

We will all get over the frustration and enjoy our new phones.