Everything wrong with religion, summarized in one sentence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Oct 2, 2012.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/28/todd-akin-missouri-women

This is why I think religion is a cancer and should be eradicated. If they want to put their hands over their ears and yell "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA" that's fine. But these people are voting, writing legislation, procreating and passing this **** down to their children. This is everything wrong with religion and why it needs to die for the long term survival of the human race.

Read the rest of the article if you're interested to see the type of idiocy I'm surrounded by as a resident of Todd Akin's district.

2. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

You don't "buy into" science. Science is.

Frackwad.

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although I was just a kid, my feeling is that the 50-60's was a brief moment of enlightenment and ever since then Americans have been trying to regress unwittingly into idiocy.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Doesn't buy into science? So i guess it's better to rely on Anderson's Fairytales to get an understanding of the world we live in. You CAN'T not buy into science, that's like not buying into gravity.

No, just the right wing. Religion is a disease.

5. jeremy h macrumors 6502

6. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

I think Terence McKenna said it best: "Science is a shell Game".

Just as one must separate religion from religionists - as Nietzsche said "there was only ever one Christian and he died on the cross" - something the new breed of neo-atheists are too intellectually dishonest to do lest it hurt their agenda, one must also separate science from the scientists.

Science is a pure discipline. It requires reason, logic and objectivity. Unfortunately when many scientists (and even more irrationalists who worship at the scientific altar but do not partake as it were) are the opposite of objective and have obvious bias then science does not exist.

This is a classic example of how duplicitous neo-atheists are actually. Both Science and Religion at core are beneficial things (of course they cannot really argue that "thou shalt not murder" and "forgive your transgressors" are bad things - though some probably try) but they deny this.

Worse they do the shell game:

If a scientist fails to live up to science's requirements - he is merely a bad scientist and science stands inviolate.

If a religionist fails to live up to his religion's requirements - it is proof religion is 'evil'.

You can get more un-objective or unscientific than that. Difficult to be more irrational too I should think.

----------

Some of it must be crap - a lot of it came from 'the Muzzlims' in Islamic Spain so there must be something wrong with it.

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

*Pst* Lady, we've known the world was round since Antiquity. Long before the modern concept of a scientist even existed. Despite what you might have been told, this was not some profound revelation by a Spanish explorer. *Pst*

8. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Irrationality is a disease.

When it hits a religious person the symptoms are obvious.

When anti-religionists catch it the main symptom is they start foaming at the mouth and claim that the only way to get it is from religion.

----------

Shhh....you will blow the AI Reality Transistors....you fool!!! You're messing with forces you don't understand!!!

----------

Btw....this is a great article - by a Darwinian atheist - on how Dawkins and the neo-atheists are starting (?) to look like just another religion.

Guardian

9. jeremy h macrumors 6502

And I thought you were going to shout Roads! or Sanitation!

Personally I wouldn't be surprised in the Spanish Inquisition turns up to shut down this thread :D

10. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

As long as they don't fetch the comfy chair....

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

To me the 60's were the source of the problem. Too much crap about drugs and enlightenment and not enough about learning and enlightenment.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Religion is irrational.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What is a neo-atheist?

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually you would be one! Its an anti-religious activist. They've had a name for a long time as anti-theist. :)

15. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

That's an irrational statement.

Partial list of some irrational Muzzlims:

And on and on and on and on

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No, it was not. He didn't call religious people irrational, he called religion irrational. And indeed it is. There is nothing to suggest the existence of a "god".

Religion is simply one of those little lies people tell themselves because they're afraid to die and it makes them feel better-nothing more or less.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Some might think that drugs is the path to enlightenment. I can't say, but it's doubtful as a primary resource. Enlightenment is still the goal however the means. I'm speaking of the progressive view, raising society as a whole, not every person for themselves. There are people today trying to take us back to the dark ages which is the wrong direction.

18. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Stop spelling Muslims like that, it's stupid and childish. It wasn't funny or cute the first million times either, now it's just irritating. Annoys me as much as "teh gayz"

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'll play the Devil's advocate here--oh wait! The devil can't exist b/c all religions are wrong and uneducated and irrational; I'll just play the person who argues the other side of the point that you're arguing. *Phew* That was a close one...

Saying that that particular woman's quote & Akin's comments (I'm in MO as well) are parts that represent the whole is just as dangerously ignorant and judgmental as the comments themselves.

Is the world full of "religious" nut-jobs that say outrageous, outlandish, and outright idiotic things? Sure it is! The world is also, however, filled with the better part of 7 billion people, many of which are perfectly rational, polite, and educated human beings; some of them are "religious;" some of them are not.

Yes, the definition of "faith" is, by definition, irrational, but that doesn't automatically make me dangerous, stupid, or God-forbid--OOPS! SORRY! I did it again, didn't I? Let me start again....That doesn't make me a horrible human being by default.

The world is full of good people and horrible people. Some of the call themselves reigious, and others do not. Please quit trying to "call out" all b/c of the actions of the part.

Peace,
    will

:apple::apple::apple:

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

By all means, the next time you and the devil have a conversation, ask him if it's OK if you get it on tape. I mean, if he exists and all it should not be that difficult. ;)

21. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I disagree. Science is inherently self correcting which is a good thing. People keep posing theories and/or ideas until the truth of what is being studied ultimately come out. For example, Yellow Fever was first thought to be transmitted by human contact but eventually someone theorized that it was transmitted by mosquitoes and scientific testing proved that theory correct.

Religion, on the other hand, is not self correcting. God or gods (depending on what you believe) laid down the law thousands of years ago and that's that. If you 'disprove' aspects of religion then the whole thing starts coming undone because it's based on an infallible, omnipotent being. There is a reason believing in religion is called 'having faith'.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Next time you're out, could you grab some space rock off of Saturn for me. I'm going to be teaching a unit on it soon, and that would make for some great realia for my class. I mean, if it exists and all, it should not be that difficult. :p

23. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

It is irrational for someone who hold up Western Science to believe that scientists who made earth-changing discoveries that formed the basis of that Western Science were themselves irrational because they followed a religion.

Btw - the statement that belief in something is irrational because there is nothing to suggest its existence is ludicrous and not borne out by any reading of human history.

Also your statement re religion is merely your opinion. It becomes irrational at the same point that religionists beliefs become irrational (when they do): when you claim it is the truth with no evidence. Like you just did in fact.

----------

The problem is I need some way to differentiate what I think a Muslim is and what many here seem to claim a Muslim is.

Is it ok if I use parentheses? As in "Muslim"?

And while we're at it can you send a memo to those who keep saying 'apologist' every time someone tries to debate some issue?

----------

I agree with you re science.... although there are some scientists who do seem to have an agenda. There are even born-again ones who you have to believe are less than objective on biology. But in principle, of course, this is what science is. Or should be.

Religion though CAN be self correcting - it depends on what religion and what form you are talking about.

This is why I object to lumping religion into one basket in a catch-all labeling...not saying you are doing this but some here are.

Experiential religion such as Zen is very 'find out yourself' with no real rules or dogma and certain sects and aspects of Islam are like this too. Not all religion requires faith.

The problem is that the West is so permeated with Judeo-Christianity it is very hard even for a secularist to step outside that filter. When you do you can see many Eastern religions do not conform to the same stereotypes at all.

24. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Exactly, scientific theories and beliefs are always evolving as we research and learn more. That's why we built the LHC, that's why we sent a rover to Mars, to learn more about our universe. Scientists never feel like they've learned enough and stop researching. There's always more information out there.

Religion, on the other hand, is static. The antiquated beliefs are set in stone, never to change. It was just 20 years ago that the Pope apologized for their persecution of Galileo for stating that the sun is the center of the universe. And we still have people out there who think the Flinstones is a documentary depicting a 5,000 year old Earth even though all of that nonsense has been proven wrong.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sure, give me lots of cash and a spaceship. It's certainly not impossible. At least we can see that Saturn exists, even if we can't get there at the moment. Do you have a photo of the Devil?

It's not ludicrous at all. There is not one shred of evidence to suggest that anything in religion is actually real. So please, if you're hiding some evidence, let us all know. There have been thousands of years to prove it.

Look, believe whatever you want if it makes you feel better. But quit trying to tell the rest of us that it's real.