Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy (to all the naggers)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aohus, Jul 17, 2010.

1. aohus macrumors 68000

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

3. fender57 macrumors 6502

Great post. So true and puts it into perspective, doesn't it?

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

God this guy is so funny. Never heard of him yet. lmao though.

This goes well with what I said in another thread that some people think the world is getting worse and we are headed toward the end times, while others think we are progressing towards a better civilization with each generation.

5. GDVI macrumors regular

GDVI

6. Sanveann macrumors 6502

Sanveann

I love Louis CK! We've seen all his HBO specials, and my husband really likes his new series. (It's a little OTT for me, though!)

I was just talking about this with my husband (we're both 33) ... "Remember how if you wanted to know something, you had to go to the library and see if they had a book on it ... and if they didn't, you were just SOL? And if you didn't know the lyrics to a song, you'd have to ask people what they were ... and if they didn't know, you'd have to buy the tape and just HOPE the lyrics were in there?"

7. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

yess! and the delivery was awesome.

Ill have to check those HBO specials out!

8. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Wow that was awesome!!!!

I wish everyone could see that!

9. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Yeah he's funny. But he's a comedian. Amazing is relative to the era we live in - he's talking from the context of a past era, that's what makes this little bit funny.

What is contemporarily amazing is when we have something that is beyond our now.

Lets be real though and talk about today - everything costs these days and the poor are still get poorer and the consumer technology isn't doing much to help it. Just leeching more dollars with their marketing hype. Underneath it all, people know something's not right, and that's why they complain. Yeah, I'm flying in the sky - big deal, been doing it for over 100 years and it's no excuse to rip me off and steal my money.

Oh wow, I can make a phone call across the world! Big deal, been making calls for donkeys and it's no excuse to charge me 2 dollars a minute for it.

etc

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I disagree. it's still plenty amazing even in the current era. And i can demonstrate it very simply: someone takes your phone away from you. Now you can't do all those wonderful things you were able to do a few minutes ago. Now what?

Put another way: say we dropped you and your iPhone into the middle of, say, present day Ethopia. To them, what you can do would look pretty amazing.

Not everyone has an iPhone. In fact, a very small percentage of people has such a phone. To them, what it can do is pretty amazing.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He was hilarious, but so right. There are a lot of people in the iPhone forums that need to see this video.

12. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

Best reply to all these whiny threads. Louis C.K. is the man.

13. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

only worthwhile thing I've seen on here in about a month

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    The first one is you stealing my phone, so I'd punch you and take it back. What's amazing about that.

Second one is deprived people being given something they can't afford to pay for or use and it would be a worthless brick because they have no service. Also very condescending to suggest people in deprived areas would behave in the way you said.

I just don't dig your version of amazing. Whether I have something or not, it still exists and not by magic, I understand it, so it doesn't amaze me. If a tree falls in the forest.. yes it makes a noise.

15. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

16. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Best contribution to these threads in a long time. :)

17. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

niuniu,

You are terribly wrong. Since this is an iPhone forum we'll use a cell phone for an example. We had a presentation at church a few weeks ago that put things in a bit of perspective. The presentation was how something as simple as a cell phone can greatly change life in a very poor corner of the world, and they used a husband and wife in Africa. They had a small farm and grew coffee, subsistence farming at its basics. The husband had TB and would have to go to a clinic a days trip away once a month to get his medication. But because of poor supplies he wouldn't know until he got there whether or not his medications were available. If not he had to go home and return again later again a days trip. A charitable organization got him a solar powered cell phone, there was no phone service in his home community because of the expense of running wires there. Now he can call the clinic and see if the medications are there before he makes the trip, he can also use the phone to sell his crop of coffee at higher prices than he had to before because he can reach a larger market. And this is all being done with a basic "dumb" cell phone. The regional doctor who has a very basic form of a smart phone can hook up equipment that allows him to do sonograms of pregnant women which is lowering the rate of infant deaths. All because of phones that are not nearly sophisticated as an iPhone. Technology is helping the poorest of the poor in parts of the world that you haven't dreamed of in fantastic ways that you haven't thought of.

18. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

That's what I want to know. Will this video make it so that I don't have to be careful about holding this amazing device just right so that it actually works?

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

:rolleyes:

The point of the video in the context of the iPhone 4 is that it is ridiculous that people are so insanely distraught over having to adjust their grip to avoid touching a fraction of an inch piece of the phone, which otherwise is a mind-blowingly amazing piece of technology compared even to what we had just 5 or 10 years ago. No one seems to appreciate all of the brilliant technology in the phone and instead choose to focus obsessively on it's one small, inconvenient flaw.

20. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I wouldn't settle for a phone I have to hold just right in order to make a call. I would return it and buy one I felt worked better.

21. chgojcs macrumors member

A-effing-men!

Some people just like to bitch because it makes them feel important.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

LOL

23. tonymophoto macrumors newbie

I'm not sure who came first, but this guy sounds like a Dane Cook ripoff, his delivery is exactly the same.

24. chgojcs macrumors member

Louis CK has been at this a lot longer than Dane Cook. In fact, Cook is kind of notorious for stealing others' bits. He and Mencia are the worst, I've read.

25. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely!