Everytime I Eat, I Need a Screen In Front of Me.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Feb 14, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

This is if I'm eating by myself of course. At lunch time or whenever, I can no longer just sit and eat, not doing anything you know?

@ home i'll eat in front of the computer or more rarely, the tv...though I dont watch that much Tv. Even the iPod Touch will suffice.

I mention and create this post because I'd love to read while I eat but I can't seem to do it. Too much is going on between eating and holding a book. It's like, its too much work during eating.

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Introducing the iPad...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I often enjoy a quiet meal without TV or computers. I don't tend to read a book though as it's tough to keep it flat if it's a paperback. Usually it's the paper if I have a physical copy or my mail.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

lol, but I wasn't hinting at that.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh yea same here. I'm either infront of the kitchen TV or my iMac but there's always something on.

6. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I usually put all my tech stuff, phone and computer away when I'm having family gatherings or at the dinner table. I put family first.

7. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

This might make your post irrelevant.

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Same here, I can't stand eating while nothings going on! If I'm by myself I'll watch something on youtube (usually Top Gear) or usually when I'm trying to catch a quick lunch, radio in the car.

9. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I can't listen to music and eat, but I like spoken word or sitcoms. Odd. There must be some conflict in the brain with music and eating at the same time.

10. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

ah this reminds me of last summer when i would do the same thing, listening to Frosty, Heidi & Frank in the car, along with Danny Bonaduce and Tom Leykis.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Pretty much same here. It still just amazes me when I look at the world we live in, and realize that my grandfather didn't even dream of a calculator.

And the possibility of what the world will look like in another generation or two.... Mindboggling.

12. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I am the same if i eat something when i am at home. It is either in front of the computer watching something or i am in front of the tv.

Work too, if i eat lunch i am in my office watching something.

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I manage this, but I generally do it with mass-market paperbacks, which are easy to handle, as long as what you're eating isn't too complicated. Hardcovers are too big and heavy, and trade paperbacks aren't much better. However, I don't do this when eating with other people. ;)

--Eric

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I've read that people with a weight problem are more likely to eat in front of their TV or computer. The problem is that they're mindlessly wolfing food down. As long as you don't have that problem, it's no big deal. If you are gaining weight, solely concentrate on slowly eating until you're full.

15. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

1. Books are crap. E-readers are crap. Tv and internetz is at LEAST 3x as fast AND stays up to date. No really, you can watch Mobey Dick's search as it happens! Almost like watching Al Cowlings as he kindly drove his friend OJ home. I wouldn't know a damn thing about history or technologies if I rellied on books. Thanks to the History Channel and the Discovery Channel, I know something about everything. And f TLC, since when did they show nothing but childbirths and breast cancers 24/7!?

2. Music is major annoying when eating.

3. I normally eat once per day <rant>I only eat when I'm hungry, unlike the *%# @$%#s that HAVE to eat three times every single day, simply because they can. You wonder why you have to wear elastic pants? Really?!?!</rant> but when I do eat, I HAVE to HAVE something to watch, it's just practical. I want to watch Hulu, Simpson's and the Angry Video Game Nerd, so why not do something else while doing so? Watching video is a passive experience so it leaves plenty of room for such things as eating and cutting your fingers inside a PowerMac G4.

4. I'm not dependent on such things, I just spent 3 weeks hiking in Mexico and staying in a small village with no music, television or internet (except once per week, maybe, at an internet café.). Yeah, they do have Tv, but it's just crappy knock offs of American shows with horrible guchi guchi aye aye aye Taquita Chiquita talking and acting substandard even to American soap operas.

16. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Eww

Not the most eloquent of replies, but that's the response your post produced.

If I'm eating alone part of me does want to grab my laptop or iPhone or something and hit play, but then I don't get why I'm wasting my time looking for something to watch, and then prolonging how long I'm sitting there to finish watching it.

I used to eat lunch alone at work pretty often. On an hour long lunch break I'd stick TV shows on my iPhone and watch. Nothing better to do, nowhere to go. On a quick 30 min break (or when just eating at home) audiobooks, audio versions of stand up comedy and the occasional podcast became my favourite way to amuse myself when I was actually eating.

Basically, I try to keep away from screens when I'm eating alone because I think you end up sitting there for way longer than you need to - waiting for one thing to finish, starting another. Better to be able to eat and carry on with your day.

17. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Actually it's healthier to eat several small meals a day than just one big meal.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

when I eat out by myself, flipping through magazines, books or a newspaper it is a PITA and it takes forever to read something, shifting from the material to the food
    I will chack email or facebook on my iphone while waiting for the food, then when the food arrives kick over to listen to a favorite playlist and listen to the ipod butcher the quality.
    I can't see myself plopping down an ipad on a real estated restricted counter at my local greasy spoon.

19. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Woah! You mean you can finish a 300 page book in under a half-hour!? Or...you use a bookmark...kind of like PAUSING a video!? :cool:

To anjinhamarota, I don't eat a large meal. My best unit of measure is my common meal at home on the weekends, 2 bowls of cereal and maybe 2.x liters of any mixture of Mt. Dew, Dr. Pepper, Fanta, Big Red and Coke...sometimes mixed together. Honestly, you must try 1/2 Manzanita Sol with Pepsi or red Fanta drinks with Dr. Pepper. To say the least, it's, "the bomb."

20. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I don't really get your point here. I didn't say I speed read (I didn't even say I read actually) I said I tended to waste time as soon as you put a screen in front of me which is why I avoid them when eating. The point is, I don't tend to pause the video.

If your point's that you can watch a TV show in half an hour but you can't read a book (emphasising your 3x faster thing from earlier) then I'll go with the fact that I'm sure I'd gain more from reading the book.

21. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Oh! So now you're assuming that I assumed you were a speed reader!? :mad:

LUL, I couldn't resist having some fun, it's why I love these forums and will feature them in all of my new Apple-based videos.

22. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Eating, and especially drinking while using your computer could be hazardous to the equipment, especially the keyboard. Be vewy careful!

23. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

You a messy eater or something?

24. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think a newspaper is the most ideal companion while eating alone. No worries if you spill on it, easy to prop up and read, crossword in the back if you want something more interactive.

I almost never eat alone but when I do I always have a New York Times at the table.

25. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

wow, seriously? :) really, i thought this was only me! I have to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner to some sort of TV show or film... i tend to make my favourite foods for my favourite shows too haha. I always eat my food to the fresh prince of bel air these days :D