EVGA GTX285 + dell 3007wfp-hc, early 2008 MP - flickering and snow?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ph0rk, Jul 17, 2009.

1. ph0rk macrumors 6502

I am using the pair with an early 2008 Mac Pro octo 2.8. Previous card was a 8800 GT, and previous monitor was a dell 2405WFP. No issue there (other than the 8800's fan noise).

With the new setup, I occasionally get a whole screen flicker for a split second, and just now when I woke the display from sleep I got multicolored snow covering the entire screen, like this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...?authkey=Gv1sRgCN7djarmg9CGLg&feat=directlink
    (iphone photo, all I had handy)

Has anyone seen this with either the EVGA card pushing some other dual-link 30" display, or the 3007wfp-hc driven by some other card? I don't really have an easy way to test this myself, as it is pretty intermittent the two arrived around the same time, so I'm not sure which is the cause, but I haven't seen any problems like that in XP so I'm leaning towards the card (drivers, perhaps). I don't spend much time in XP, though, so I'm still not sure.

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've seen this happen on my Early '08 Mac Pro with a flashed XFX 4870 as well as the official EVGA GTX285 Mac Edition on my 3007WFP-HC. However, it happens far less frequently with the GTX285 than it did with the flashed 4870.

From what I have read, it's a pretty common issue.

3. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I have an '09 Mac Pro and no such issues. Do you have the latest drivers from Nvidia? They were updated just about 1 week ago or so.

4. ph0rk thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I have the most recent drivers from nvidia, and to my knowledge there hasn't been any change in frequency of the flickers.

5. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Same problem here (thread I posted on it). I using the latest drivers as well. It's only happened to me 3 times in as many weeks.