Evidence of Torture in the Prehistoric Southwest US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Nov 3, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Talk about politicized science. About twenty or so years ago, scientists reported human flesh in pre-Columbian human feces. Well, that set or a firestorm of criticism from the usual politically-correct suspects. Despite reams of hard data and peer-reviewed publications, the deniers attacked the science and the scientists (sound familiar?) because their research contradicted the myth of the Noble Savage living in peace and harmony until genocidal Europeans invaded Eden. They didn't attack their methodology or the data; they attacked the conclusion that acts of cannibalism had occurred over one thousand years ago at a specific location in what is now Arizona.

I wonder of this study in the International Journal of Paleopathology will engender the same hysterical, over-the-top reaction? Hopefully, society has matured to a point where scientific research isn't perceived as an attack on any social class or ethnic grouping. I find archeology damn interesting, too, and attempts to suppress it or any other science are egregious, pernicious, and outrageous.

http://bonesdontlie.wordpress.com/2...e-of-torture-in-the-prehistoric-southwest-us/

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That doesn't sound like a reasonable position, or one that I remember hearing before.

Who is advocating this "noble savage living in peace and harmony" myth?

Sounds pretty fringe to me.

3. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

And in other news, archaeologists have discovered physical evidence that the European Jamestown Colonists Resorted to Cannibalism during the Starving Time of 1609-1610 at Jamestown, Virginia, the first permanent English settlement in the New World.

Developing...

4. FreemanW macrumors 6502

. . . . . and this just in from Donner Pass, CA . . . . . . .

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Great example. That study was accepted without any controversy at all.

Well, it's pretty much accepted by scholars today that the Donner Party stories of cannibalism were promoted by the penny dreadfuls of the time. If you've ever been to the Truckee Pass it's easy to see why: a blind man could catch game in those rich forests. They did eat their dogs and oxen, though.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Most of the so-called "civilized societies" aren't always what they're cracked up to be, are they?

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I am very glad I live in the Northwest United States and not in Eastern Syria. Civilized society is superior in every respect than uncivilized society.

8. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I wonder... Is there any chance at all that the earth's intelligent lifeforms will survive long enough to evolve into a multicultural, scientific, tolerant society in the future?

Or do the machines need to win in order for that to happen?

9. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

When we finally develop Artificial Super-Intelligence, things will be much different. Troubling issues of race, science, and religion will be quaint and outdated.

The ASI won't love us; nor will they hate us. However, we are made of atoms that they can use for other things...

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

So were all gonna be nothing more than Minecraft games for this ASI.:eek: I for one welcome our ASI Overlords.

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

"Gonna be?"

Perhaps this existence is a simulation and we already are.

12. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

What is the Matrix? :p

13. chown33 macrumors 604

Take the elevator to the thirteenth floor, and it's the second door on the left.

14. aerok, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Will there be a red pill and a blue pill waiting for me there?

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I am told that long pig is delicious, with the right garnish.

16. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

The end is nigh. :eek:

Attached Files:

17. APlotdevice, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Noble savage? Okay, first off, that term in itself is highly derogatory. Second, according to the article you've linked to, this fossil evidence dates back to between 710-825 CE. That's about eight centuries before any European would step foot into that area. Third, and this may come as a shock to you, but Native Americas were and are people. In fact they were many different groups of people, possessing a variety of different languages, cultures, and beliefs.

18. chown33 macrumors 604

It's a stock character, if not an outright trope or myth, dating to at least 1672:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_savage
    I am as free as nature first made man,
    Ere the base laws of servitude began,
    When wild in woods the noble savage ran.

I think the point of the OP is that the characterization does have mythological qualities that belie reality.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Yes, but realistically, who believes that and is outraged when science challenges that notion?

20. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Sure about that? The OP's reference to "the myth of the Noble Savage living in peace and harmony until genocidal Europeans invaded Eden" seems to imply something rather different that what you're suggesting.

21. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I glanced over this and the link quickly and did not catch the politization of science, just a report that ancient humans tortured each other on occasion. something I think we all ready knew. Some modern humans seem fond of the practice...

22. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

That refers to the 1990s report and the backlash, as reported in Scientific American. The deniers have since moved on to other things.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So we're discussing something that occurred ~20 years ago?

Talk about necroposting.