Ex Gitmo detainee -Bomber in Bulgaria..?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Squadleader, Jul 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squadleader macrumors regular

2. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I'm sure everyone in Gitmo is a suicide bomber..

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

All I asked is that detainees be brought to trial ... civilian or military.

What's your opinion about due process?

4. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

It's like that gun thread. One guy uses a concealed weapon to stop a burglary and it somehow justifies 10k deaths a year :D

Great success!

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

7. Queso macrumors G4

8. eric/ Guest

eric/

Fantastic logic. How many people have died from concealed carry again?

9. Queso macrumors G4

Have you seen this morning's news yet?

10. eric/ Guest

eric/

Nope. I don't watch the news. I get my news from Al Jazeera's website. And I've never seen them or read a story on there discussing deaths from concealed carry.

11. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

6009 out of nearly 10k were from concealed carry that year. 2010.

Absurd to even try to defend it or marginalise it. Shows how Americans couldn't give a toss for their fellow 'Patriots'. Nation of fakes, confused and clueless.

And here we have another massacre in a cinema, guy running around with a shotgun blowing folk away. But it's okay, 'he didn't have a permit', they shout.

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

Link, of course.

Massive generalization. Massive bias. Massive failure on your part. Why even bother attempting to discuss and debate anything if you're going to start with such fallacies?

Yeah people totally think that it's ok. :rolleyes:

Too bad somebody didn't have a weapon, they could have at least attempted to defend everybody.

13. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, that's EXACTLY what's needed in a dark crowded place full of running and panicking people. A shoot-out!! :rolleyes:

14. eric/ Guest

eric/

It's really not that dark in a movie theater. And unless it was pitch black, a defender has a reasonable chance of firing at the appropriate targets.

The alternative is: "oh looks like we just die since we can't defend ourselves". That hardly seems like a good alternative to having somebody fire at the aggressors.

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

When a nation has 13k murders a year, 9k from guns, and doesn't change it's gun laws expect to be looked down upon by right thinking people.

Like children who can't bear to have their toys taken away. Oh and another great eric idea, let's arm the cinema goers so they can all start shooting at people who are shooting, at night running around in a dark cinema.

Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

16. Queso macrumors G4

The alternative is that if guns were so much harder to come by the aggressor would have had to be within touching distance of his victims in order to cause them injury. Chances are the numbers of dead and injured in this incident would therefore have been far far lower.

In contrast, your vigilante action plan (ironic at a Batman film I suppose) would have most likely resulted in more death and injury as people got caught in a crossfire or accidentally targeted by those trying to "defend" them.

17. eric/ Guest

eric/

In comparison. There are more guns than the 300 million people in the US. So from a numbers perspective, I'd actually say it's pretty good.

and of course taking guns away from law abiding citizens isn't the answer, of course a "right thinking" person such as yourself can't see that. :rolleyes:

Also, link for the # of people killed by concealed carry?
    I'd say it's more like letting people be adults and make adult decisions.

Well, it makes more sense than sitting down and dying as an alternative.

----------

Why would you have to be in touching distance to use a firearm? :confused:

Prove it.

Well I wouldn't characterize it as a vigilante plan, more so a responsible citizen standing up for the defense of his fellow citizens.

And it could result in more people being injured, and it could also immediately scare the attackers away and save 10 lives. Who knows?

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

For the birds. Do you ever think before you post.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Because without access to a firearm in the first place anyone crazy enough to attack a full cinema of people is likely to use another type of weapon.
    Not until you prove your assertion that people shooting back would have helped. Oh look, an impasse....
    Any citizen or organisation who undertakes law enforcement without legal authority is a vigilante. That's the definition.

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

Got that link for your claim yet?

----------

Are you under the impression that people who commit these crimes go to Wal-Mart to buy a firearm to use it in a crime?

Well, define help in this context.

Well at that point the law is irrelevant because in a life or death situation it's not considered. The only thing that is considered is survival. Law just cleans up after the mess.

21. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

Of course. But you don't need it, because you're well informed on gun crime statistics. That's why you have an opinion.

22. eric/ Guest

eric/

Gun crime statistics don't shape my opinion since they have no effect on the philosophical argument.

But that doesn't mean I don't like reading the links that are provided, particularly statistics, since occasionally I can use them in a discussion.

But I know you don't have the link for your claim, which is why I keep asking.

23. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

How can you know I dont have a link? And please, don't taint the word philosophy with whatever half baked posts you spam PRSI with.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Then why take so much issue of my using the term vigilante?

As for this incident we'll see where the gunman obtained his weapon over time.

25. Squadleader thread starter macrumors regular

Reserved for U.S. Citizens in the civil legal system, not making war against the Unites States...You may disagree with my opinion, but thats what it is..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.