Ex-Google recruiter: I was fired because I resisted “illegal” diversity efforts

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Mar 4, 2018.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Yet another lawsuit against Google...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...because-i-resisted-illegal-diversity-efforts/

2. 0007776 Suspended

If this is true I hope that Google gets taken to the cleaners, and that this is followed up by candidates that were rejected for their race suing.

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Forcing diversity by illegal hiring practices is not good. Pending investigation of course.

4. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Silicon Valley, if you really want to find more qualified URMs to the standards you're looking for then you're going to have to invest early on in their education and skills training. Provide scholarships for inner city kids who show promise, organize programming workshops and hackathons, provide opportunities for interning. You need to be actively involved in making these groups just as qualified as the overrepresented groups.

5. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

So Google claims that the pool of candidates is purposefully diverse but that ultimately they hire based on merit. I guess we will find out if that's true.

Google is desperate to diversify their 80% male workforce (that is 53% white and 39% Asian). But under California law, racial quotas are a form of discrimination.

6. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Some programs already exsist. I think it's lack of interest for most women as they tend to want to help people rather then devices or services. If you show them how they can help people through technology is the way to go.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2018 ---
    I would be interested to see the total amount of applicants of men vs women. That would also be an indication of interest as well as college majors that they focus on.

7. ipponrg macrumors 65816

This is no different than college affirmative action. "Positive discrimination".

Historically in all the places I've worked, the total amount of qualified male applicants greatly outnumbers qualified female applicants.

I think today's society is much more embracing of female engineers than when I got my degree in the early 2000s. We have to continue to identify and encourage women that show interest in these fields to pursue it despite whatever their peers might say.

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Why does this stuff always have to come down to percentages anyways? What’s wrong with certain races, genders, whatever being more highly represented in certain professions? Who cares? Why does every field or job group have to have the EXACT make up percentage-wise of every type of person or gender? There are more women that are hairdressers. Uh oh! Let’s FORCE that industry to hire more men. There are more female nurses too. Uh oh! Better get the "percentage police" out there to correct it. So what if more men or Asians happen to be in the IT field? What’s the problem?

Maybe not that many women or whatever race of people aren’t interested in tech jobs. Again....so what? Let them get a job doing what they want. I’m not saying to deny qualified people jobs strictly using race. Of course not. But you can’t FORCE diversity in fields that just aren’t meant to be totally diverse. Like I said, if they do this with IT then they have to do it wth every other field too. It’s a joke.

9. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Is diversity hiring illegal? What is illegal diversity hiring? Not a challenge, a question. If the person is not operating under a contract in an at-will State, my impression is they can be fired without cause.

10. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Yes, we have many fields that are disproportionally female. Nurses, Human Resources, teachers and social workers. But yet no one seems to care.

11. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

Personally I have always felt quite uncomfortable with ‘positive discrimination’ in hiring - at the end of the day you can’t get around the fact that it’s still negative discrimination against someone. In particular I find completely excluding, usually white, middle aged, heterosexual male candidates from even applying for certain positions, regardless of how qualified to be troubling. The issue needs tackling from the other end with better education and skills training, not this hamfisted social engineering. Equal opportunities is a much better policy, making sure everyone has a level playing field from the outset.

12. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I totally agree with this. Ending discrimination isn't as easy as just not hiring qualified Caucasian males to increase your percentage of minority hires.

13. Huntn, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I agree with you. But I don’t know what illegal diversity hiring is. Also to clarify, I don’y like the entire concept of At-Will. That is bull because it prevents people from speaking up without fear of retribution.

14. Falhófnir macrumors 68040

Falhófnir

I would also clarify I do have a certain degree of sympathy over the issue as regards expecting larger companies to make reasonable accommodation in their building design and layout for the physically disabled, or perhaps even the visually impaired as far as can be sensibly implemented. That’s really more an aspect of the equal opps policy though, and obviously that would be subject to the persons impairment not preventing them from fulfilling the role effectively.

15. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Probably because those are the lower paid positions in their industry. Doctors make more than nurses, managers make more than hr, etc etc

16. Solomani, Mar 4, 2018

Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Apple has been doing all of these things in spades. And it hardly gets any news coverage. Maybe you were among those that didn't realize it either?

Apple launches coding camps for kids in its retail stores

Programming toys with Apple's Swift Playgrounds

Apple’s ‘Everyone Can Code’ program expands more broadly in Europe

Apple to expand Italy developer program, will partner w/ five universities for new iOS Foundation Program

And last but not least…. Apple as a progressive (liberal) company has some "black student scholarships" too. Young black graduates are certainly an under-represented group in Silicon Valley. Again, Apple has been doing these things for the community for years. And no one gives Apple credit because these good deeds are not newsworthy.

The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) in partnership with Apple is proud to present the Apple HBCU Scholars Program to outstanding students with a minimum 3.3 GPA who will be graduating between December 2018 and May 2019

17. 0007776 Suspended

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. Are you saying that women who are nurses would prefer to be doctors but they have to be nurses because those jobs are lower paid positions? Or is it that the fact that they are not the highest paying jobs why no one gets mad?

18. BeeGood, Mar 4, 2018

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

EMT’s (a male dominated field) make less than RNs. Both make less than Physicians Assistants, who are also predominately women.

Entry-level HR folks make roughly the same as other entry-level business majors and have similar paths into middle and upper management.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Passing on better devs to meet a race quota will likely catch up with them eventually. In technology when the rubber hits the road its not going to matter what your % minority number is. Good luck to them.

20. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

The idea was more diversity, not how much it pays.

21. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Let them hire unqualified “diverse” candidates, the day they get bought out or file for bankruptcy will be SWEET. In the meantime I hope that the racist scumbags are taken to the cleaners to speed that process along.

22. Tapiture macrumors 65816

Tapiture

I don’t think you’re going to find many people defending Google here. What they should really been investing time and money in is stopping the horrible sexual misconduct that is rampant among their executives.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Actually the majority of medical school enrollees are now female, and things look to be leaning further in that direction. They also dominate some specific fields in medicine and have for years. Pharmacy schools now see over 60% female representation. Nurses tend to hold far more political power in hospitals, and if you look at hospital administrators, almost 75% of them are female (and usually formerly nurses in their career). And many hospital admins make a lot more than most doctors (like $250,000 and up).

It’s not to say there aren’t ongoing problems. My mom is an orthopedic surgeon, which is extremely rare in general and even more so considering she’s 65 years old. My sister is a DMD-MD (Dentist + MD) oral surgeon. Both of them are clearly very well accomplished but still face difficulties in their careers- like people (even other medical staff) assuming they are nurses or the fact women doctors are seen as maternal figures so people expect a higher level of care/compassion compared to men.

24. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I was only responding to the poster who wanted to know why people don’t complain about diversity in those female dominated jobs. Why would u care about diversity in lower paying jobs? You fight for the chance to do better.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Sounds like somebody at Google does not understand affirmative action (nor do many people posting above): it allows the preference for candidates from discriminated groups provided they are equally qualified for the job as other candidates. Still, we do not know Google's side of the story yet.