Ex-Gov. Charlie Crist to join the Democratic party

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not that this might work out well for Crist in terms of political ambitions. There's a segment of the voting populace that just doesn't trust people who switch parties. Think Arlen Specter.

But it does tell you once again that the Republicans have moved so far to the right they keep alienating their own people.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Being an Independent was a fine step, but, in the end, being one doesn't feed the bulldog. ;)

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Well I for one am glad that he's finally seen the light.

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I don't see this as much as someone having a true change of political beliefs. Rather, it seems the most obvious way for a craven pol to further their career. Didn't Specter even negotiate to get on certain committees?

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't believe this is a matter of Crist changing his political beliefs.

Isn't this more about the Republican Party's further shift to the right and the subsequent loss of one of its more moderate members?

IMO, it's the party that changed their beliefs.

6. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Isn't this another case of someone losing their job in part because of which party they belong to and trying to get it back by switching to the other team? Oh, people vote for democrats now in my state, guess I'm a democrat!

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Was he alienated or just mad that he lost so he decides to switch sides to win more votes? This sounds a lot like a sports fan who switches teams just to say he roots for a winner not that he actually likes the team.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I think he believes he can run for governor and win as a democrat rather than an independent.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

For one, because the organization and fundraising capability of the party would be instrumental to a victory.

But someone [perhaps myself at some point] should look up Crist's previous positions on the issues. I would guess that by looking at them, it will become evident why he's no longer a member of the Republican Party.

That would be the key to unravelling whether Crist has made a purely self-serving political maneuver, or whether he's actually holding to his core values and found the republican Party no longer reflects them.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

He wasn't a member of the republican party.

He was a republican when he lost a republican primary against Marco Rubio then switched to "independent" and lost against Rubio in the general election.

Now he's gone from independent to Democrat.

But. I too think it has to do with the republican party becoming too extreme.
    Matter of fact I would have thought Colin Powell would have switched by now too.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

So we've got a party on the right, and a far right borderline lunatic right (policy speaking) party. Does it matter at all when they shuffle the cards if the outcome is still slowly marching the country even further right?

Remember, the Dems are now what would have been Republicans (mainstream, not the sudden surge of Reagan era GOPers) only 20 years ago, and the Republicans are sprinting as fast as they can to the right of that.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is wat I am wondering. Is he running as a Democrat because this is where his beliefs are now, or is he doing it just to get elected. Is this to serve his ego or the party?

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

He was a keynote speaker at the DNC convention so maybe he does have Democratic blood.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

A politician with beliefs????:eek:

I think he's doing whatever his advisors say is his best bet to stay relevant.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Exactly, and once he did that his fate was sealed. He really had no choice BUT to become a member of the Democratic party after being on that stage.

16. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Indeed. Eisenhower and Nixon would be considered liberals by these guys nowadays.

Teddy Roosevelt would be a freaking Communist.

17. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Bingo!!

The line for middle of the road keeps sliding to the right as the Republican Party keeps sliding to the right.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And as some probably belong to the Flat Earth Society, maybe they will eventually fall off.

19. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

We can only hope!

20. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

He was a fairly popular governor. I think he could probably beat the crook we've got now.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

After looking at his wikipedia article, I think this is mostly because the Republicans have moved so far to the right. He looks like he was a moderate Republican, I'm sure the deciding to go to the Democratic party instead of staying as an independent was politically motivated, but it seems like he does fit in with the farther right members of the Democratic party...

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The Republicans have gone so far right that 20 years ago Obama would be a Republican.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Indeed, ISTR Obama expressing admiration for Reagan some while back. Even that dread pirate Clinton was barely to the left of Reagan in his policies.

But this does not speak to Crist's ideology or any kind of pandering strategery as much as it stands of an indictment of the party system in combination with the burdens of campaign finance. It is just too difficult to raise funding and gain credibility if a candidate is not aligned with D or R.

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Actually, it is kind of going in both directions which is both strange and interesting at the same time. In some ways the country has gotten more conservative, and in other ways (especially on social issues like marriage equality) things have gotten more liberal in a very short time frame. It's fascinating to see and an exciting time to be living in. History being made before our very eyes. And that has happened a number of times in my lifetime. First moon landing, first black President, first same sex marriages, first smart phones. Lots of stuff.