Ex-police officer, a firearms instructor, accidentally shoots himself outside school

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jan 26, 2014.

1. steve knight, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Lets hope no one lets this idiot teach gun safety since he failed his own corse.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140124/NEWS/140129104/1685

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

3. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

This must be a mistake?!?!? Why didn't the gun free school zone sign/law stop this from happening?!?! We need more laws and bigger signs, that will work for sure!

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Or, possibly, we need gun experts, who teach others gun safety, to learn how to handle their own handguns, for starters.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

When can we implement the law that says if you "accidentally" shoot anyone or anything, you have to forfeit all your guns and lose the privilege to own them for an extended period of time?

If you're not competent enough to own a firearm without "accidentally" shooting something, you're not competent to own a firearm. Period.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

+1

If you get too many speeding tickets, you lose your drivers license for a period of time. If you accidentally shoot something, you should lose your guns for a period of time.

7. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Accidents happen...
    If you want to go after this guy, it was not legal for him to even have the gun on school property in the first place so how about we start there.

----------

No, for it to be the same if you get one speeding ticket you should lose your license for a period of time.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Assuming that there is value in the comparison, how many accidental discharges of a handgun must occur for the suspension of one's right to have a handgun? Two? Three?

And carrying the analogy further, if the accidental discharge of the handgun strikes someone in the leg...is that enough to suspend one's right to have a handgun, temporarily or permanently? How about shooting someone accidentally and non-fatally in the lung? Or the abdomen?

In short, are there any circumstances of accidental discharge of a handgun that should lead to suspension, temporary or permanent, of one's right to own a handgun?

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If this "gun expert" had any intelligence he would give it away without the need for legislation. Almost killing someone should be enough for him to complete readjust his chosen career.

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

If this helps to reduce gunshots in public (school property !), fine for me ...

11. lostngone, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

My opinion, it all comes down to what actually happened and not a knee-jerk take all his guns away.

If it can be shown he was in some way being carless then yes he should not only have his weapon taken away but he should also face jail time.

However in a case like firearm or holster malfunction I don't think he should have his Rights stripped...

With this said, I do not see how it is legal for him to have that firearm on school property so that by itself is a strike against him.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

And this is why no one takes conservatives seriously, you completely miss the point.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No need to assume Sidney.

In Ontario, if you are charged with racing (50km or more over the limit) they take your license immediately (for 2 weeks minimum) and they seize your car right there. You have to fight to get it back, or they might just crush it.

Yes, it has happened, for grievous road racing.

If you talk nice, the friendly OPP officer will give you a lift home.

Oh I think he gets it, he just doesn't like how it tastes.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Considering the argument that is given all the time about how guns don't hurt people those things you listed are clearly impossible to have happen.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well come on here, it wasn't the gun that hurt this guy, it was clearly the bullet.
    It wasn't the bullet that hurt this guy, it was the massive amount of kinetic energy.
    It wasn't the kinetic energy that hurt this guy, it was the laws of physics

Deflect, deflect, deflect.

We all know where this boils down.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep, you'll get my machine gun from my cold, dead hands.

18. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If you have circulatory in you extremities...you should consult a physician. ;)

19. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

When it comes to places like schools, you should be able to stop accidental incidents like this with simple laws. The guy likely disregarded it due to the law presenting an inconvenience. I can't say I feel any sympathy when it for him when it comes to the pain of being shot in the leg. It's just in spite of him being an imbecile, I hope it doesn't result in a permanent injury.

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Holster malfunction!!!!

I love it. How can an inanimate piece of leather or fabric malfunction?

No offense, but anyone who claimed such a thing would be laughed out of court.

He had a bullet in the chamber and he pulled the trigger. It was a stupid thing to do and the apologists need to get off their high horses. Poorly trained people with guns will do stupid things. No amount of posturing is going to change that.

21. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

not in the US. even if he killed someone that excuse would work. works great with cars too.

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Actually no.

Most law enforcement agencies have guidelines for the type and make of holster that can be used in the line of duty due to the possibility of a accidental discharge during holstering or drawing.

The Blackhawk Serpa is a fine example where it could cause an accidental discharge due to engaging of the trigger during a re-holster, or having the trigger pulled due to finger indexing on the draw.

I used a blade tech during deployment. Fine rig.

Those that don't carry wouldn't understand the nuances due to simplistic thinking formed out of ignorance.

23. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yes, straps get worn, snaps break. Depending on where it is and type(belt,shoulder) it can get snagged on something or pressure can be applied to the trigger even when inside of a holster.

Please show me where in the article is says "he pulled the trigger". All I see so far is

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It should have. And this happened in my home area; Glenwood is 35 miles southeast of my hometown; it is across the river from Plattsmouth, NE. So I know the area, and the laws there very well.

If he were still on the force, he would be an exception to the rule. In fact, there are signs posted everywhere that it is a drug free and gun free zone; Penalties and fines doubled under federal law.

He should have known that, and ignored that. He got caught, and will pay the price for it; doubled the price, at that.

And here is where you lose all rational thought. But don't ever think that the onus is on the person who tempts violating the law by WILLINGLY bringing the weapon to a school zone. No.. the problem is never with the guy with the gun, but the law around the gun.

Such idiotic views like this are the reason why we have gun issues in this country. Again, lack of rational thought, as well as the consequences of that lack.

BL.

25. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

eve if it was a malfunction why was he playing with his gun when he should not even have had it?