iPad Examples of Non-Retina VS. Retina iPad app sizes? (16gb v. 64gb evaluation)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ozshadow, Oct 24, 2014.

1. ozshadow macrumors regular

I have an old iPad 2 in 16gb. It has all but 1gb full. I really do not listen to music on it, so I could remove that. I mostly surf the internet, Netflix, You Tube, Kindle and read PDF docs.

My iPhone 6 is 64gb in size and about 14gb full. It has more music and pics.

Today I have an iPad Air 2 16gb sitting in the box at home. I'm not sure I should open it. I am concerned I will want the 64gb version as soon as I start installing all my programs.

Are the iPad retina apps much bigger than the old iPad apps? Does anyone have specific examples of the current versions/installs?

I know most here will say get the bigger version. I am just trying to evaluate do I really need it since I already have the 64gb iPhone.

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Getting 16GB device is a terrible idea, that's why Apple dropped the 32GB option and kept the 16gb to force people to cough up the extra $100

Upgrading to iOS 8 took up half the hard drive of a 16GB iPad or iPhone, I'll leave it that for you

3. Davidish macrumors member

Totally this. I dished out the additional $100 for the 64GB model. If there was a 32GB model for $499, I totally would have gotten that.

4. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

My iPad 2 I just sold was 32GB too, and I was going to get the 16GB model Air 2, but I decided to spend the extra $100 and get 64 because a year or two down the line, I'll regret that 16GB model

5. bradley8795 macrumors regular

I could be wrong but I remember reading that there are not different versions of each app for different screens, and that when you install an app it includes everything needed to run on all resolutions, so the amount of storage taken by each app is the same. Regardless get the 64 GB if you plan on playing any games, or keeping it a while because apps are only getting bigger and bigger.

6. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Absolutely no one should be buying the 16GB version of any iOS device today. Return it and get the 64GB iPad Air 2.