Examples of Police Excess Appearing Frequently

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Examples police excess continues. First, shot in back, then hit by police car, now... Prisoner of Baltimore Police Department ends up with fatal neck injury.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/20/baltimore-video-arrest-death/26064623/

How did this happen? According to Baltimore Police, it's a mystery... :confused:

He was taken to the hospital, he asked for assistance several time enroute, and if you look at this guy, he's holding his head funny and he's not walking. He could have easily sustained the injury during the arrest.

Let's all chant: "If you resist police, you get what you deserve." Except I don't really know why he was arrested, although he was charged with possessing a switch blade, which seems weak, first blush, like while they are sitting on him, "look, I found a switchblade in his pocket!" It was reported he did not resist arrest. This department needs an independent investigation.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/details-police-encounter-led-mans-death-30439209

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

One of the benefits of technology: everybody has a camera in there phone these days, which has opened-up a whole new world of police excess and makes it much harder for government agents to abuse their positions.

(Still no new Sasquatch film, though.)

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Then you ought to like this one: US Marshall recorded on someone else's phone destroying a woman's phone because she was recording them

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

While he broke her phone, the dooshbag didn't confiscate it and I'm sure all the data was recoverable. I hope she sued his ass for property damage and assault.

7 Rules for Recording Police

http://reason.com/archives/2012/04/05/7-rules-for-recording-police

5. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Just saw this reported. Good thing the lady was not black... she got off lightly, just a smashed phone. Ah, what regulation covers that action by Marshall? He could not guess there might be more than one recording cell phone on scene?

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

He needs to be fired ASAP!!!!

7. sim667 macrumors 65816

We all know nothing will happen to him though.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Interesting/disturbing article on efforts toward civil asset forfeiture reform. This kind of jumped out:
    … a study of the way law enforcement used asset forfeiture in Tennessee. There they found police would monitor mostly one side of the highway, the side leading out. That way they were able to snag the money from alleged drug deals as they were leaving. That is to say: They were doing little to actually stop the flow of drugs into Tennessee. There is no money for law enforcement in actually stopping drugs at their source. Rather they were knowingly allowing drug dealing to go on in their communities so they could grab the money on the way out of state.

Right, let the lawbreaking go on, so that you can make money off it. Not hugely different from setting up speed traps or tailgating a car to try to get them to make a mistake.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Interesting and questionable. :-/

10. Sydde, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015

Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

After nine months the police are still trying to get the goods on Ramsey Orta. After all, he abused a dangerous weapon, that afternoon on Staten Island.
    So, next time you use a phone or camera around the police, remember, it is a dangerous, even deadly, weapon, and they will treat it as such.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

American police are a joke.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Only the punchline is getting chocked, shot, beat with batons and body slammed.

Hilarious.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What I mean by that is that the American police are really bad.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It is kind of a compound problem.

The socio-economic environment in the US creates a thick agar for crime to blossom in. That is one of the important issues the country ought to address – but it will not. The real worst criminals are the ones making great flipping wadges of gelt by making the situation worse (mostly in the financial markets), and if those people do get caught and convicted of actual illegal acts (much of what they do is despicable but not technically illegal), their comeuppance is neither proportional nor useful WRT the damage they have done.

Against this, the underclass flail to keep from being swept under the "rising tide that lifts all boats". In some cases, the alternative to drowning is some form of crime. And for some of those marginal people, their misdeeds begin with trivial offenses that build on each other, creating situations that spiral out of control. The way this country treats its most vulnerable and struggling members is mostly not conducive to minimizing crime in the first place.

So, we have the constabulary, who seem to act like their duty is to keep the gap between the more fortunate and less fortunate in society as wide as they can, perhaps even to widen it. This tends to create a lot of resentment on the part of those they typically target. Ethnicity makes a handy first guess as to whom they should target, and this has established a hostile relationship between the police and those who look at first glance like they might be offenders. In a way, it seems as though being of certain ethnicities is approximately equivalent to being an ex-con (which is an additional problem with our system: if we make it quite difficult for an ex-con to reform, why not just kill them right away, but that the police would have less work to do).

But one of the most important aspects of police work (not just in the US) is that, to do it properly, to constables have to be able to anticipate what a bad person will do. Which is to say, in order to be effective, they have be able to think like a criminal. From their behavior, it looks like they have got that part down pat. Really, the behavior of the bad guys is barely distinguishable from the behavior of the good guys (cf police "reporti-lying", aka perjury) , the police seem to have adopted the criminal mindset they apply to their work and, in many cases, have apparent lost the ability to compartmentalize those thought patterns, allowing them to leak into the station houses, the city halls, the court system.

There are no obvious ready solutions to these problems. They might be fixable, but it would take a great deal of effort and quite a lot of societal upheaval. No one appears to making in moves in any positive direction.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

16. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

@Sydde: Agreed. If the police were as zealous at putting banker-crooks behind bars for theirs crimes as much as they are about putting petty criminals behind bars, perhaps the view from the bottom wouldn't look so unfair.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Sandra Bland Case To Be Investigated As A Homicide

I can't say this is police excess, but at a minimum appears to be a case where an arrest is questionable, procedures were blown off, no "well being" interview upon admittance to jail, no checks during the night, and other issues like why was she pulled over in the first place? A girl who appeared to have a future driving to her new job, commits suicide, seems questionable and it is being questioned.

Black woman pulled over while driving to her new job, found dead in Texas jail

18. zin macrumors 6502

What is the use resisting? You only risk injury (or death) to yourself or the officers (which is something they could actually charge you for). The avenue for reporting unlawful arrest is through a state or federal court. Anybody can file this complaint (and you have the right to an attorney who can do it for you). If it is truly unlawful, the judge will order your release and for the officers to be disciplined. I would rather spend an entire day in custody waiting for the response of a judge than spend a night in a hospital as a result of a physical altercation with the police (which would complicate things further, given how difficult it could be to argue who was at fault).

This is no way excuses the behaviour of police in recent cases, some of which were recorded on video, that clearly shows excessive force. But in general, to imply that resisting arrest, even unlawful, should not come with consequences isn't a good thing to say.

19. Huntn, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I watched the video today, wow. I predict that officer is in trouble and rightfully so. Another vote for dash and personal cams. If the video did not exist, we'd have no clue. He ordered her out of her car when she refused to extinguish her cigarette. She was booked for assaulting a police officer?

I would suggest regardless of your race, especially if you are black and driving in this country and you are pulled over, based on statistics, you should cooperate in all ways "Yes sir, I'm sorry sir, forgive me sir" seems to be the correct answers. Is it really worth the hassle of being arrested, charged, and turned into a felon?

20. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I thought she was just charged with resisting arrest.

21. Huntn, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

That's a charge that can exist without any other charge or were you being sarcastic? In the video it sounds like she is being arrested for questioning the officers actions, and refusing to put out her cigarette is what put the officer over the top into "you will submit" mode. Whether the officer had the right to order her out of the car at that point, I'm not sure, but it seemed like he could have easily kept his temper, written her a warning (for the lane change without a signal), and they both could have been on their way.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Once when I was very drunk an (unmarked) police car pulled up to offer me a lift and I refused (I didn't want to be sick in the car). I also challenged the policeman for ID and refused to give my address.

I think they were generally trying to be nice and things escalated a little when I asked for ID - but to be fair (aside from offering someone a lift in an unmarked car in the middle of the night) the police handled it well and they didn't act violently or anything.

23. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

UK or US? ;)

24. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

So are we saying the US shouldn't have police or that we could do it better?

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Yeah, I was a bit tongue in cheek on that.

Here's my opinion on the case. She wasn't doing herself any favors whatsoever with her combative for the sake of being combative attitude, but she answered the questions asked her, and the officer asking to put out her cigarette wasn't an order. Being an jackass isn't a crime, and he neither had, nor even stated any reason to ask her to exit the vehicle. He lost his temper, and escalated the situation.

Now this says nothing about anything that happened afterwards. She very well may have committed suicide. Being forced to hang yourself with a plastic garbage bag would leave some pretty telltale signs of struggle that'd be immediately remarked upon during any autopsy. But the simple fact she was in jail on trumped up charges casts a pall on the entire thing.