Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
Anandtech has always been my go-to for intelligent, informed technical articles, and this one is no exception. Anyone looking for a good look at what to expect next month should read this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6196/preparing-for-the-iphone-next-rumors-analyzed

Thanks for taking the time to post this good article :)

It's the same for me : Anandtech is the ONLY place I can 100% trust their reviews. No one else has the depth and scientific testing approach Anandtech does.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Awesome article. Everyone here should read it in order to mitigate unrealistic expectations. That'll probably be the next iPhone, along with some minor bumps in the optics and possibly one or two exclusive software features.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
So the top and the bottom of the phone will remain glass? It's $30 to replace the back panel of a 4/4s. Wonder what it would be to fix a unibody phone with glass.

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
This was a very good article but in the end they know as little as we do at this point so were all waiting in the 12th

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
If that design turns out to be the real one for the next iPhone, I think the black will actually look better than the white one this time around.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
My only complaint on this article is calling the iphone 3G and 3GS a 2nd Gen industrial design from the original iPhone. I never had a 3G or 3GS, but I don't believe they look different at all (except for the back going from chrome to plastic) so wouldn't they really be the same industrial design followed by the 4 and 4S being the second industrial design? I still believe the iphone 5 will have a whole new design, but I would consider it the 3rd gen, not the 4th...

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
My only complaint on this article is calling the iphone 3G and 3GS a 2nd Gen industrial design from the original iPhone. I never had a 3G or 3GS, but I don't believe they look different at all (except for the back going from chrome to plastic) so wouldn't they really be the same industrial design followed by the 4 and 4S being the second industrial design? I still believe the iphone 5 will have a whole new design, but I would consider it the 3rd gen, not the 4th...

I believe the article means:

Original iPhone: 1st Industrial Design (Aluminium back, with plastic bottom)
iPhone 3G/3GS: 2nd Industrial Design (All plastic back)
iPhone 4/4S: 3rd Industrial Design (Glass sandwich design)
iPhone 2012: 4th Industrial Design (Aluminium back, with glass, longer).

There was a more drastic redesign from the 3GS to the iPhone 4. However, you cannot discount the difference between original iPhone & feels the 3G; they look & feel different (not as drastic as a jump from the 3GS to the 4, but still different).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I think they are more taking the naming scheme into consideration as well

iphone - first gen
3g-second
3gs-second
4-third
4s-third
5-fourth
5s-fourth

....and so on.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC

Actually, the 3G and 3Gs backs were significantly different than the original iPhone due to the rounded shape, material, and finish. The face was the bezel were the same, but that's less than 50% of the surface of the phone unchanged.

I think they are more taking the naming scheme into consideration as well

iphone - first gen
3g-second
3gs-second
4-third
4s-third
5-fourth
5s-fourth

....and so on.

Seriously doubt that. They specifically call it "Industrial Design" not naming scheme.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Actually, the 3G and 3Gs backs were significantly different than the original iPhone due to the rounded shape, material, and finish. The face was the bezel were the same, but that's less than 50% of the surface of the phone unchanged.

Seriously doubt that. They specifically call it "Industrial Design" not naming scheme.

but i think that has a lot to do with why apple just adds the S on the end instead of calling it a 5, 6, or different numerical number. They are directly related.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
but i think that has a lot to do with why apple just adds the S on the end instead of calling it a 5, 6, or different numerical number. They are directly related.

Perhaps the naming is related to the industrial design, but I don't think that's what drove Anandtech's chart.

hypnoz

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
so what's the purpose of a two-tone two-material back if it isn't to allow NFC to function?

Let's hope it's not two tone.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Nothing more than what Don Lehman wrote a bit back:

http://thetechblock.com/the-unibody-iphone

That article was very good as well, but to say "nothing more" makes it sound to me like you didn't read the Anandtech article at all. Don Lehman's article was around design and the Anandtech article was around technology. Yes, there was some overlap, but the 2 articles had differing focus.

One new point brought up by the Anandtech article was refuting the idea that the little square metal shield at the top was somehow related to NFC. Even MR picked up on that and wrote their own story quoting Anandtech.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.