Excellent Apple Store Experience - replace iPhone with "newer" model

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ml.sail1, Sep 8, 2013.

1. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

Note: This is probably applicable to both the iPhone and jailbreak sections.

So I just thought I would share an excellent experience at an Apple retail store the other day.

So I originally purchased my iPhone 5 factory unlocked from Apple in Dec. of 2012 and had to replace it on march for wifi connection issues. Following that, I decided to try something new with jailbreaking my new iPhone, and used it like that perfectly up until this past Friday, Sept. 6.

For the past month I had been having cellular connection issues (I use Net10, an ATT MVNO) in areas where I previously had solid connection, I would have restarting the phone multiple times to regain cellular connection. Before going in to the Apple store I did check with a few different sim cards but still no give.

So having heard all of these stories of people taking in jailbroken phones, I went and disabled every tweak I could and removed the rest (hiding all the apps and such), before I went in. Genius bar was able to get me right up to the front without a prior appointment (around 7pm) and got right down to it.

So sitting there, the genius is checking my phone settings and such when he asks me "so what keyboard are you using?" I kind of panicked thinking that he would give me tons of trouble for having a jailbroken phone, but when I told him where I got the keyboard from and how it works (basically swipe up on any key to get the symbol mapped to that key), the genius actually said "oh thats awesome! I had my iPhone jailbroken as well up until I upgraded to iOS 7."

So anyways he was really great about trying to help me keep my jailbreak while yet fixing the problem when we start talking about my carrier and such, and he starts talking about Tmobile and his experience with them in the area. I had been interested in switching to tmobile for a while, but my iPhone didn't support AWS so I was weary of doing so with the half-refarmed network. So I tell him about that and he actually offers to just switch my phone out under warranty for a new one sporting the AWS support.

So in the end I walked out with a brand new (white box) iPhone 5 supporting Tmobile.

Awesome CS and I now have a Tmobile sim card on the way.

Long story short: Went to Apple with iPhone having wifi issues and Genius replaced it (this is the 2nd time) just so I could have the "newer" version iPhone A1428 that supports Tmobile's AWS bands, something I had been wanting for a while.

2. Samanosuke macrumors 6502

That's how my experience has been with most genious bar people...

Also it's the 1429 iphone that supports the T-Mobile LTE bands.

3. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

What a great experience! I wish all Apple Store employees, or at least all the Geniuses, were like this.

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

Yeah I have found some of them to cool like OPs experience, and even more to be uptight nerds who can't think critically to solve a problem.

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't think the A1428 is a newer iPhone. Both the A1428 and A1429 have been available from the start.

6. Gary500 macrumors regular

Gary500

Wrong, the 1428 is the one that supports all the bands, including AWS 4G.

7. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

That's what separates Apple from others. Great customer service is so important and so easy. By changing your phone they did not incur any big losses, but at the same time they earned a customer that has a high chance of returning and is spreading a good word about the company.

8. nephron8 macrumors regular

It got updates to support the aws while still on 1428 model no.
    This happened when they launched on t mobile.

9. bdrake47 macrumors regular

Cool experience!

I've always been impressed with Apples above and beyond CS approach. Great products and always highest rated customer service.

10. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

I've always had great experiences with the apple store!
    I've had 2 new iPhone 5's because I had faulty power buttons, granted they shouldn't have failed, but as with all electrical devices you get issue, and they replaced the phone, no questions asked!

I also took my iMac back into the store last week, I've had it over 3 years, the DVD drive was playing up, they tested the machine and found a fault on the screen.... It was apparently an issue with this model of iMac, so they replaced the screen free of charge!! The DVD player now seems ok too after a fresh install.

Well happy customer! £435 screen.... Free! Thanks apple!

11. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Nice now try some tmo unlimited LTE :D

12. Merkie macrumors 68020

So there are A1428 models out there that support AWS and A1428 models that don't support AWS? Or do you mean a software update?

Edit: appears you are right: http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/26/iphone-5-att-aws-unlocked-plans-t-mobile/. Interesting.

13. ml.sail1 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the original A1428 did not support AWS, though it has the exact same hardware. Apple then changed the firmware or something to that effect starting with the release of the Tmobile iPhone which supports AWS.

So there are 2 different kinds of A1428.

14. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

So, how easy it is to get Android phones swapped?